Why Colgate Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Colgate Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Because we’re Syracuse and they’re just Colgate but that doesn’t score a single point for us.

- Because Colgate looks a lot more like that Villanova team that should have beaten us two years ago than the Rhode Island team we never should have been playing a year ago. And I’ll bet they can make a chip-shot field goal if they need to.

- Because Colgate is just the sort of grind-it out team that could give us trouble with our smallish and inexperienced defense. Remember when Nate Eachus ran for 147 yards in 35 carries against us in 2010? The Red Raiders rushed for 206 yards a game last year. James Holland averaged 4.6 yards a carry and scored 16 touchdowns. “High powered” offenses, or at least ones that want to prove they are high-powered, tend to get frustrated when they become spectators.

- Because Jake Melville will drive SU crazy. Last year he ran for 1,073 yards and passed for 2,552 more, producing 11 touchdowns each way. He can help them grind it out on the ground or scramble to set up passing opportunities- exactly the sort of quarterback that has given us fits over the years. And John Maddaluna, who caught 62 of Melville’s passes last year for a 15 yard average.

- Because Colgate’s defense, led by linebacker Kyle Diener and defensive linemen Pat Afriyie. May be even better than their offense. They were a very aggressive unit with 36 sacks and 76 tackles for a loss.

- Because we have an entirely new coaching staff that is putting in an entirely new offense and defense and have put 9 freshmen and 13 sophomores in the two deep. That’s half of the players likely to see the most action in this game. You aren’t going to see mistake-free football from Syracuse. You might from a veteran playoff team like Colgate.

- On last night’s show, Dino Babers wondered if they’d worked their players too hard during camp. He indicated it’s a fine line. “We run so many plays in practice that sometimes players are not as fresh as they should be. I’m 2-2 in openers so sometimes I’m right, sometimes I’m wrong.” What if he’s wrong?

- Baber’s teams have scored 31 and 30 points in their last two openers – and given up 59. In each game.

- We’ve spent 9 months feeling very good that we’ve got the right guy and that things are going to get better fast. An opening loss to Colgate, (the first in 66 years), would be a gut-punch. Syracuse football in recent years has been all about gut-punches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom