Why College Football Is Studying Major League Soccer | Syracusefan.com

Why College Football Is Studying Major League Soccer

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-...gue-soccer-1405556573?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

Interesting article and I think it shows the growing problem with attendance in sports these days. This line caught my attention.
"The average age of Sporting KC's 14,000 season-ticket holders is 29.7 years old, relatively close to a college-aged demographic, said Robb Heineman, chief executive of the team's parent organization"

Soccer isn't as big as the NFL, College Football, but unlike MLB their fanbase is YOUNGER. College Football realizes it needs to emulate what MLS is doing to get younger fans more interested.

One of the things discuss ad nauseum, and deservedly so, in the soccer thread is the youth movement of the soccer fanbase in the United States. It's great to see; I think you people (under 30) are the biggest sports fans in the country right now, with the availability of broadcasts literally at their fingertips. Good movement for all sports.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/why-...gue-soccer-1405556573?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

Interesting article and I think it shows the growing problem with attendance in sports these days. This line caught my attention.
"The average age of Sporting KC's 14,000 season-ticket holders is 29.7 years old, relatively close to a college-aged demographic, said Robb Heineman, chief executive of the team's parent organization"

Soccer isn't as big as the NFL, College Football, but unlike MLB their fanbase is YOUNGER. College Football realizes it needs to emulate what MLS is doing to get younger fans more interested.

I live in the KC area. Sporting KC has done a tremendous job adapting to the digital age in their new stadium which if another reason I think they are attractive to the younger fanbase (not that the older generation doesn't use cell phones too)

http://www.businessweek.com/article...s-city-makes-the-stadium-more-like-your-couch

In-Stadium WIFI is a must for pretty much every professional/college sports teams these days. TV dollars are good for leagues, but they are forcing more and more people to invest at home with HD TVs, and enjoy games there. I am not going to give up my season tickets for FB because I love supporting SU, but going to a Dome a couple of times a year with only 35-42k people versus watching the game at home enjoying multiple games is harder to justify. MLS teams like Sporting KC are doing a great job.

Now only 14k versus double or triple season ticket holders for football is different, but they know what they are doing.

I had a chance to go see Barcelona play at their stadium Camp Nou a few years ago and really the atmosphere blows about every pro sports event I've ever been to in the US.

Minimal piped-in music. It comes from the signing supporters. Everybody is on the edge of their seat waiting for the goal and not trying to start the wave

I think the improving atmosphere at MLS games complement the tech upgrades well.

In soccer the fans make the atmosphere not the team

Seattle is a yuppie town due to all the technology jobs up their I bet their fanbase/season ticket base would be younger than most sports teams in the USA. They have the largest fanbase in the MLS in attendance I am sure. I don't pay any attention to MLS because its not the best of its sport and I have no hometown connection to any team.

Good read. My immediate thought was envy. Great to see Oklahoma St, the SEC, and PAC12 being pro-active trying to tackle a problem head on buy signing a deal with Sporting Innovations. This is a problem Syracuse has been trying to combat for 10 years now, and all they have managed to do is to continue to make the same mistakes, and use the same strategy. Pretty pathetic.

I will ad there are a few things that make me question this.

1. Other then a game here or there if you want to see the team play you have to go to the stadium because the tv exposure is very limited.
2. This is one thing I enjoyed about the World Cup is there aren't any timeouts. You are in and out in 2 hours. With all the TV timeouts in football you are trapped in a stadium for 3-4 hours, and that doesn't count the traffic jam trying to leave the game. With the new technology they should reduce some of the TV timeouts and use holograms on the field for sponsors, or something similar to what soccer does.
3. WiFi definitely needs to be updated. You can't follow other games, or even check stats for the current game at the Dome. The WiFi is non-existent.

One word...
hipsters-sxsw.jpg

HIPSTERS

It is the "wusification" of America.

The generations coming up are showing the consequences of "everyone gets a trophy" discourse. The idea of competition and fighting to get to the top is quickly getting lost in our culture. Many 20 somethings in today's culture cannot relate to the aggressive nature of football. Shoot, they don't have to fend for themselves now until their 26. My father let me know that I was my own man at 16 and that he had faith in me because he "raised me right". This meant that I made my own way and my own decisions. If I went to the clink that was on me. I was on my own at 17 and fought and clawed to get where I am today. I can relate to clawing for each down.

As a kid in the South football and baseball were king. We didn't have a choice to sit inside and play with technology we were outside learning to conquer and imagine through play. I see many young men that could be great in the sport but parents won't let them play because they are afraid what "could happen". Soccer is "safe" compared to football. We are becoming a less aggressive society and quickly losing masculine identity which does not bode well for a sport like football.

memcorsu said:
One word... HIPSTERS It is the "wusification" of America. YouTube Video The generations coming up are showing the consequences of "everyone gets a trophy" discourse. The idea of competition and fighting to get to the top is quickly getting lost in our culture. Many 20 somethings in today's culture cannot relate to the aggressive nature of football. Shoot, they don't have to fend for themselves now until their 26. My father let me know that I was my own man at 16 and that he had faith in me because he "raised me right". This meant that I made my own way and my own decisions. If I went to the clink that was on me. I was on my own at 17 and fought and clawed to get where I am today. I can relate to clawing for each down. As a kid in the South football and baseball were king. We didn't have a choice to sit inside and play with technology we were outside learning to conquer and imagine through play. I see many young men that could be great in the sport but parents won't let them play because they are afraid what "could happen". Soccer is "safe" compared to football. We are becoming a less aggressive society and quickly losing masculine identity which does not bode well for a sport like football.
Is this a transcript from "Drunk Uncle"? Every generation has its losers -- this one just happens to have those broadcast on TV. I'm 36 and generally hate anyone younger than me -- but, man, are there not some amazing, fearless kids out there trying to make this world a better place. Deciding not to play football doesn't make one a "wuss."

[Is this a transcript from "Drunk Uncle"? Every generation has its losers -- this one just happens to have those broadcast on TV. I'm 36 and generally hate anyone younger than me -- but, man, are there not some amazing, fearless kids out there trying to make this world a better place. Deciding not to play football doesn't make one a "wuss."[/quote]

Lol, could be hunh... Sorry meant to be a bit "tongue and cheek" plus was working on my first cup of coffee.

I am sure there are some very intelligent and productive hipsters. I am suggesting that American culture has evolved in a way where different sports are now becoming appealing because the way they relate to the culture. I did play all sports and soccer in college and was geared up for football at a DIII until a coaching change and injury made me have to hang them up. Soccer is a great game and I enjoy watching/ playing more. For me nothing could compare to the contact in football (we don't have much ice in the South so didn't get to give hockey a try).

I would suggest what is happening to football can be compared to what happened to baseball years ago. The culture changed, people related to other sports. I think one of the things that is positive about soccer is it is cheap to play and can relate to different kinds of athletes that would not be normally as successful in other sports.

Another issue that football is facing is that it is pricing the every day consumer out of attending. I would argue that all three major sports are facing this problem; baseball, basketball, football. Part of what made these sports attractive is the fact that a working class father could take his kid to the game and they could enjoy a hot dog, some snacks, etc... and that the players were approachable and willing to participate with the fans. The major three sports have made being a fan much to expensive and players (not all) are above reaching out to fans leaving a void.

I took some inner city kids all expenses paid to the spring game a few years ago. Some of the players really reached out to them. Brandon Sharpe gave one of the youngest his gloves that he wore. That kid wore those sopping wet stinky things all day long. He immediately became a SU fan for life.

As of right now, MLS soccer is doing a great job attracting fans because they are affordable, approachable, and work hard on making the game experience attractive. Another benefit is it seems to mirror what is desired by the changing culture. Major league soccer has failed numerous times in our history in America due to not finding its niche in the American culture. Times have changed and this might be Soccer's time to shine.

I also do agree that there are some amazing young people out there. I worked with a class of them that the majority had both parents in prison and were having to raise themselves and other siblings much like Shamarko. Their bravery would put most of us to shame. I would have to disagree the point that who America is today is what America has always been. Some of it for the better and some of it for the worse, but we are much different. Which brings me back to the point that due to cultural evolution the interest in things like sports changes. I apologize for interjecting any political view. I try not to speak about two things, politics and religion even if they are significant to the discussion. Again, meant to be tongue and cheek.

crowd.jpg

DSCN0602.JPG

[Is this a transcript from "Drunk Uncle"? Every generation has its losers -- this one just happens to have those broadcast on TV. I'm 36 and generally hate anyone younger than me -- but, man, are there not some amazing, fearless kids out there trying to make this world a better place. Deciding not to play football doesn't make one a "wuss."

Lol, could be hunh... Sorry meant to be a bit "tongue and cheek" plus was working on my first cup of coffee.

I am sure there are some very intelligent and productive hipsters. I am suggesting that American culture has evolved in a way where different sports are now becoming appealing because the way they relate to the culture. I did play all sports and soccer in college and was geared up for football at a DIII until a coaching change and injury made me have to hang them up. Soccer is a great game and I enjoy watching/ playing more. For me nothing could compare to the contact in football (we don't have much ice in the South so didn't get to give hockey a try).

I would suggest what is happening to football can be compared to what happened to baseball years ago. The culture changed, people related to other sports. I think one of the things that is positive about soccer is it is cheap to play and can relate to different kinds of athletes that would not be normally as successful in other sports.

Another issue that football is facing is that it is pricing the every day consumer out of attending. I would argue that all three major sports are facing this problem; baseball, basketball, football. Part of what made these sports attractive is the fact that a working class father could take his kid to the game and they could enjoy a hot dog, some snacks, etc... and that the players were approachable and willing to participate with the fans. The major three sports have made being a fan much to expensive and players (not all) are above reaching out to fans leaving a void.

I took some inner city kids all expenses paid to the spring game a few years ago. Some of the players really reached out to them. Brandon Sharpe gave one of the youngest his gloves that he wore. That kid wore those sopping wet stinky things all day long. He immediately became a SU fan for life.

As of right now, MLS soccer is doing a great job attracting fans because they are affordable, approachable, and work hard on making the game experience attractive. Another benefit is it seems to mirror what is desired by the changing culture. Major league soccer has failed numerous times in our history in America due to not finding its niche in the American culture. Times have changed and this might be Soccer's time to shine.

I also do agree that there are some amazing young people out there. I worked with a class of them that the majority had both parents in prison and were having to raise themselves and other siblings much like Shamarko. Their bravery would put most of us to shame. I would have to disagree the point that who America is today is what America has always been. Some of it for the better and some of it for the worse, but we are much different. Which brings me back to the point that due to cultural evolution the interest in things like sports changes. I apologize for interjecting any political view. I try not to speak about two things, politics and religion even if they are significant to the discussion. Again, meant to be tongue and cheek.

crowd.jpg

DSCN0602.JPG
[/quote]

I think I am in this pic, and the Nats drew 120K this weekend...

Seattle is a yuppie town due to all the technology jobs up their I bet their fanbase/season ticket base would be younger than most sports teams in the USA. They have the largest fanbase in the MLS in attendance I am sure. I don't pay any attention to MLS because its not the best of its sport and I have no hometown connection to any team.
Seattle does have by far the biggest average attendance. They're somewhere between 40-45k per game, and yesterday when they played Tottenham Hotspur they drew 55k.

One word...
hipsters-sxsw.jpg

HIPSTERS

The generations coming up are showing the consequences of "everyone gets a trophy" discourse. The idea of competition and fighting to get to the top is quickly getting lost in our culture. Many 20 somethings in today's culture cannot relate to the aggressive nature of football. Shoot, they don't have to fend for themselves now until their 26. My father let me know that I was my own man at 16 and that he had faith in me because he "raised me right". This meant that I made my own way and my own decisions. If I went to the clink that was on me. I was on my own at 17 and fought and clawed to get where I am today. I can relate to clawing for each down.

As a kid in the South football and baseball were king. We didn't have a choice to sit inside and play with technology we were outside learning to conquer and imagine through play. I see many young men that could be great in the sport but parents won't let them play because they are afraid what "could happen". Soccer is "safe" compared to football. We are becoming a less aggressive society and quickly losing masculine identity which does not bode well for a sport like football.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/down-with-americas-kid-competition-complex-1601764538

Football's fan appeal has been altered by the man in the red shirt who is allowed to stand on the field for over an hour each game while an endless stream of television commercials destroy momentum changes and the very flow of the game. Before TV, games were played in under two and a half hours, now four hour games are not uncommon. Watching the commercial free World Cup games gives one a glimpse of what all sports were like before Television money starting calling the shots.

Football's fan appeal has been altered by the man in the red shirt who is allowed to stand on the field for over an hour each game while an endless stream of television commercials destroy momentum changes and the very flow of the game. Before TV, games were played in under two and a half hours, now four hour games are not uncommon. Watching the commercial free World Cup games gives one a glimpse of what all sports were like before Television money starting calling the shots.

This.

How refreshing it was to watch a WC game WITHOUT commercials, and under 2 hours. You could actually do something with your day (i.e rake leaves)

This article kinda stinks. The subhead refers to college football's mysterious attendance woes. And their evidence is the student section from Florida? people left early when they got beat by Georgia Southern. Let's not go too crazy thinking that means a lot

"
Sporting KC is trending in the opposite direction. The team formerly known as the Wizards averaged 10,287 fans a game in 2010. Then it rebranded, moved from a minor-league baseball stadium to soccer-specific Sporting Park and saw attendance climb to 17,810 a game. That number has increased this year to a franchise-record 19,709 per MLS game.

How they pulled that off intrigues colleges that are struggling to fill their mammoth football stadiums. In addition to Florida, which sent a representative to Kansas City in the fall before a bigger team went in May, three other SEC schools have visited Sporting KC, Heineman said, while Oklahoma State announced a deal with Sporting Innovations in March."

MLS has solved the problem of struggling to fill a mammoth stadiums by not having mammoth stadiums. It doesn't say which teams visited KC and whether they're actually struggling. Oklahoma st avgs 60,000

i'm willing to bet ben cohen is a hipster

KC and Seattle are in first place. worth mentioning that it might have something to do with their attendance

Last edited:

crowd.jpg

DSCN0602.JPG
people have it in their minds that baseball stadiums were packed in the mid 20th century. that looks like the crowd at yankee stadium when maris hit 61

Last edited:
people have it in their minds that baseball stadiums were packed in the mid 20th century. that looks like the crowd at yankee stadium when marris hit 61

Yeah, but what if it was Mickey trying to hit #61.

I think all college football and soccer comparisons start and end with UConn's stadium.

One word...
hipsters-sxsw.jpg

HIPSTERS

i like that post without agreeing with much of it just because you get the larger more important point that emo hipsters are the worst

MLS Games Last two Hours.

No Time Outs.

No Replays.

Skilled Game Played By Relatable Athletes.

Cheaper And Safer Game.
i'm with you on football being too long but there's something to be said for stoppages. if i'm going to sit through a bunch of passes back to the goalie, I better not be in the bathroom when a goal miraculously happens.

In-Stadium WIFI is a must for pretty much every professional/college sports teams these days. TV dollars are good for leagues, but they are forcing more and more people to invest at home with HD TVs, and enjoy games there. I am not going to give up my season tickets for FB because I love supporting SU, but going to a Dome a couple of times a year with only 35-42k people versus watching the game at home enjoying multiple games is harder to justify. MLS teams like Sporting KC are doing a great job.

Now only 14k versus double or triple season ticket holders for football is different, but they know what they are doing.

Michigan did a survey of students of what is their most significant factor in attending games. Out of the 7 options, sitting with their friends was #1, in-stadium wifi was 7th out of 7.

"The first survey that had 6,000 respondents was taken after the fourth home game and responses — including 76 percent saying they did not approve of general admission — were shared with the athletic department.

“It just didn’t really work,” he said.

A second survey administered with the athletic department gave a better gauge of what students want. They were asked to rank what’s most important for their game-day experience, and No. 1 was being able to sit with friends. Interestingly, students said having Wi-Fi was the lowest priority."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140606/SPORTS0201/306060041#ixzz3874BlIBJ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom