Why did SU end the "New York's College Team" campaign? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Why did SU end the "New York's College Team" campaign?

New CEOs (e.g., Wildhack) love to get rid of advertising slogans associated with former CEOs (e.g., Gross). They want to establish their own identity. When Jack Welch retired at GE, new CEO Jeff Immelt immediately ditched "We Bring Good Things to Life" (one of the best known slogans in the world) and replaced it with "Imagination at Work" (which was already being used by Disney). Things sure worked out for GE, didn't they?

If this sounds like sour grapes coming from a member of the Welch team at GE, so be it. Because it's true.

I hope you sold your company stock a long time ago. They got removed from the Dow this year.

Including his Fab Melo shenanigans?

I just don't understand how someone could think that the athletic director -- not the hall of fame basketball coach with 40 years of tenure -- is responsible for conspiring to get an ineligible athlete's coursework completed.

There's plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Gross. I don't find this one credible.

I just don't understand how someone could think that the athletic director -- not the hall of fame basketball coach with 40 years of tenure -- is responsible for conspiring to get an ineligible athlete's coursework completed.

There's plenty of legitimate reasons to criticize Gross. I don't find this one credible.

Syracuse basketball NCAA investigation: How far did the school go to keep Fab Melo eligible?

Athletic director Daryl Gross called a meeting with at least seven other members of the Syracuse athletic department, the NCAA reported. It was an effort to brainstorm how to keep Melo in uniform. And to keep the Orange's national championship hopes alive...

...For the meeting, Gross called in director of basketball operations Stan Kissel, an assistant provost, the school's faculty-athletics representative, the director of compliance, the director of student-athletic services and both his deputy directors of athletics, two members of his so-called "Dream Team."

Syracuse basketball NCAA investigation: How far did the school go to keep Fab Melo eligible?

Athletic director Daryl Gross called a meeting with at least seven other members of the Syracuse athletic department, the NCAA reported. It was an effort to brainstorm how to keep Melo in uniform. And to keep the Orange's national championship hopes alive...

...For the meeting, Gross called in director of basketball operations Stan Kissel, an assistant provost, the school's faculty-athletics representative, the director of compliance, the director of student-athletic services and both his deputy directors of athletics, two members of his so-called "Dream Team."

Come on...

it's an insult for any new yorker (and there are lots of them) who don't root for syracuse.
Then it sounds like they have a wonderful development opportunity that they should focus on pursuing.

I’d rather be the Miami of the north or the USC of the east than the Wake, SMU, Baylor of CNY.

Athletically speaking we have much more in common with state schools than private ones, and I think heavy marketing across NY + athletic success + state pride will help build and maintain an already formidable fan infrastructure. Whether or not posters on this forum want to admit it, we’re *the* major college option for millions of upstaters, and we pull as well as anyone (if not better) in NYC. The above is why I liked the campaign (also rattling UConn, Rutgers, St. John’s, and SUNY at Buffalo was also pretty great).

Will we be Alabama? No. Can we hold our own with (and beat) the vast majority of mid tier public schools? Absolutely.

Syracuse is clearly the college team Upstate NY roots for. I've lived in Upstate NY my whole life and have been to almost every corner of it and still till this day see Syracuse stuff everywhere. I could not speak for Downstate. NYC is the biggest city in the country and I dont think they are a Syracuse city. I think like everyone else, they like all different teams. It should have read Upstate NYs college team. Two different worlds.