Why did Syracuse pull Carrier’s name now? John Wildhack says ‘no rhyme or reason’ | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Why did Syracuse pull Carrier’s name now? John Wildhack says ‘no rhyme or reason’

I totally hear you on this perspective.

Let me offer a counter:

There is no new deal without getting out of the old. The more articles even written about it actually show the value of the potential naming rights.

But what will be different in the “naming rights” from 1979 is the pitch to a potential sponsor that it’s not just a name on a building, but the opportunity to engage/activate in programming into the building. Made-up examples:

Wegmans Stadium, complete with a “W” food court and vending machines with Wegmans branded items during times where there are classes talking place in the Dome during non-Athletic events. Tailgating in the quad featuring Wegmans...yada yada.

Verizon Field, which includes the first stadium with 5G in the US and a dynamic in-game app experience for those using the service.

The pitch to potential sponsors will include how the original sponsor didn’t do a thing to activate outside the building creation. And any brand would get excited by the opportunity to do more than slap a name on a wall and be in media guides. Enhance the experience.

The case against Carrier has been building for awhile. Now with a new roof, the case is strong.

John Wildhack knows exactly what he is doing and the Chancellor is in on it. And it’s freaking perfect. I. Love. It.
I hear you and you’re correct. There is more to naming rights than simply the name. There can certainly (and should be) be an activation element with this level of partnership.

I also don’t believe that my stance and yours are mutually exclusive. Especially for what might be a more “regional” partner.

It's not a great idea to announce that there's no rhyme or reason to something you did.

They did not go on offense and announce it. Everything they’ve done is in reaction to being asked.

I think some people overestimate the ability for executives to say whatever they want. Life isn’t an Internet forum.

They did not go on offense and announce it. Everything they’ve done is in reaction to being asked.

I think some people overestimate the ability for executives to say whatever they want. Life isn’t an Internet forum.
Agreed. Folks you just need to understand that the university is driving through a strategy right now that includes public talk points if/when things are brought up. They are correctly employing an approach that just about any company would if they are receiving good counsel. This approach was likely agreed upon by house counsel, the CFO, marketing, Wildhack and any others who I am likely missing contemplating contractual, financial and public factors. I can assure you no business local or national would be offended by this approach. If anything they will recognize Syracuse is more business competent. Again Cuse is just bringing a gun to a gun fight.

Does anyone know for certain that SU is trying to negotiate with another company for naming rights? Maybe SU decided that with the way the contract is written they can't legally change the name of the building, but they also are not obligated in any way, shape, or form to give as much free press to Carrier as they have been.

They can leave the Carrier name on the side of the building due to the gift made, but just not refer to it in any other communications. Kind of "sticking it to the man"
. So maybe we're making something out of nothing?

Just as a disclaimer, I don't think this is really the case. I think SU is going to go after every revenue stream possible. Just playing devils advocate here.
Oh, I believe it is very much just as you said here. I would put all my money on the fact that Carrier never guaranteed any contractual rights to have their name stated alongside the Dome in any advertising coming from SU media.

SU is just making use of any out they have to not use Carrier's name.

And I believe Moontan has inside knowledge of what is happening, and we would do well to listen to him

I will bet you a billion dollars this won’t happen.

But don’t discount a certain money company with the same first initial as Carrier.
That is interesting - why would someone in that arena need that kind of space?

The amount of pissing and moaning about every nook and cranny is just perplexing. eye roll. i don't get it. I mean really - dishonesty? net negative ? who cares, seriously? ... because nobody outside of this board does.

Here's what I would bank on. Syracuse has professionals running the ship now, from the Chancellor on down and they know what they're doing. They are cold and calculating and have some of the best educational, business and lawyer minds in the country running things. Let the professionals handle their house and go back to complaining about the font on the uniforms.

The amount of pissing and moaning about every nook and cranny is just perplexing. eye roll. i don't get it. I mean really - dishonesty? net negative ? who cares, seriously? ... because nobody outside of this board does.

Here's what I would bank on. Syracuse has professionals running the ship now, from the Chancellor on down and they know what they're doing. They are cold and calculating and have some of the best educational, business and lawyer minds in the country running things. Let the professionals handle their house and go back to complaining about the font on the uniforms.

Telling the truth (or declining to answer, if it'll undercut your negotiating position) when asked a direct question is still a virtue, man.

Some of us want the institution to hold itself to the highest ethical standards.

This is so long overdue it's not even funny. The Carrier deal was made decades ago prob by a bunch of folks who are now dead.
Carrier sucks for never putting AC in and for pulling out of Syracuse and the US.
College sports is an arms ace these days and we need every weapon available to compete. The money from a new naming right deal is essential to being an elite team in the ACC.
Bravo Wildhack!
Buh bye Carrier!

Agreed. Folks you just need to understand that the university is driving through a strategy right now that includes public talk points if/when things are brought up. They are correctly employing an approach that just about any company would if they are receiving good counsel. This approach was likely agreed upon by house counsel, the CFO, marketing, Wildhack and any others who I am likely missing contemplating contractual, financial and public factors. I can assure you no business local or national would be offended by this approach. If anything they will recognize Syracuse is more business competent. Again Cuse is just bringing a gun to a gun fight.

I still think that it's not a great idea to announce that there's no rhyme or reason to something you did.

Too bad George Soros didn't buy naming rights when he owned 70% of Dinosaur. The Dinosaur Dome would have had a double meaning, of course. But fans would shorten it to the Dino Dome. Which also would have had a double meaning.

Too bad George Soros didn't buy naming rights when he owned 70% of Dinosaur. The Dinosaur Dome would have had a double meaning, of course. But fans would shorten it to the Dino Dome. Which also would have had a double meaning.

Is that Quadruple meaning? Or is it double double meaning? Or is this a trick question and it is really triple meaning?

then its the Dinosoros Dome

I still think that it's not a great idea to announce that there's no rhyme or reason to something you did.

“Announce” means to come forth with news on offense.

He answered a question. He’s an AD with a silent and subtle moxie. This guy has seen it all. Embrace that our beloved program has some savvy leadership!

“Announce” means to come forth with news on offense.

He answered a question. He’s an AD with a silent and subtle moxie. This guy has seen it all. Embrace that our beloved program has some savvy leadership!

Wildhack is playing chess.

Too many don’t understand that because they are playing checkers.

Wildhack is playing chess.

Too many don’t understand that because they are playing checkers.
1567822278743.png