Why I Think Uniforms Matter To Some of Us | Syracusefan.com

Why I Think Uniforms Matter To Some of Us

OrangePA

Hall of Fame
The beauty of the sports team uniform in my mind is that it connects one season to the next.

When I see Derek Jeter in the Yankee pinstripes I can track the look back to Mickey Mantle - there is a tangible connection between the two great players and their teams.

The pinstripes also preserve an emotional connection between the past successes on the field and the contemporary team.

When I watch old films of Alabama, or Ohio State or Auburn or Texas, I'm watching the same team that I see today - the players are different but it's the same team that I see - and that's a good thing.

When the traditional uniform is preserved, the team is preserved - we are rooting for or rooting against the same team - with only brief offseason breaks interrupting the play on the field.

When I see Brisly Estime in the traditional SU uniform, I am also watching Kirby Dar Dar returning a KO or Marvin Harrison returning a punt.

When I watch Terrel Hunt throwing or running the ball in the traditional orange and blue I'm also watching Donovan or Marvin or Donnie or Todd Philcox or even Paul Paolisso or Randy Zur.

The traditional orange helmets, orange pants and blue and white jerseys connect me to 1968 when I walked into Archbold for the first time.

The players come and go but the uniform - the orange and blue - remains.

In many respects it is the team - my team.

When we junk our traditional uniform we disconnect our heritage.

Oregon has no heritage - there was never anything to junk.

We are more like Alabama and Auburn and Texas than most think.

And I think that should be preserved.

I am inclined to agree. To an extent, a uniform can be part of your brand identity. Doc Gross is big on branding and brand identity...yet we haven't really established one for our football team in terms of a recognizable, consistent uniform.

To add on to some of the schools you put out there, add in Penn State and, to a lesser degree since they've changed up their uniforms lately, Michigan, whose helmet is arguably the most distinctive uniform part in all of college sports. Same with Florida State. To a degree, you want someone to be able to look at your jersey or your helmet and immediately KNOW what school it represents. That's a little hard to do when you can't settle on one single design for more than a few years at a time.

The only reason it works for Oregon is because of their colors and the fact that, if it's a crazy uniform featuring green or yellow, chances are it's Oregon (though Baylor is slowly getting into that mix as well).

I get none of that. Sorry. Times change so do uniforms. Oregon has history, you just don't know it because you are not a fan of those teams. Army,Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Washington and Navy have great football history too, their uniforms change. You are getting carried here but to each his own, certainly every opinion here is valid we just don't share the same.

You don't think Oregon fans remember every Rose Bowl from way back, its just that their history is being wriiten in the present as well, ours really hasn't in the last 15 years as much.

I get none of that. Sorry. Times change so do uniforms. Oregon has history, you just don't know it because you are not a fan of those teams. Army,Texas A&M, UCLA, USC, Washington and Navy have great football history too, their uniforms change. You are getting carried here but to each his own, certainly every opinion here is valid we just don't share the same.

You don't think Oregon fans remember every Rose Bowl from way back, its just that their history is being wriiten in the present as well, ours really hasn't in the last 15 years as much.

For as long as I watched football, and that's a long time, Oregon was a joke of a program.

It had nothing to lose.

Do you think the Yankees should dump the pinstripes?

Would that "change" be appropriate?

We aren't the Yankees. That's a nationally if not globally iconic uniform.

I am hopeful we will have a sleek modern look that also honors the tradition. I don't want Otto on a smoke gray matte helmet or whatever.

Maybe I'm boring but I love blue on orange at home, white on orange on road. Throw me one alternate uni a year.

Well considering that Rutgers has 4 more wins all-time than Oregon, then yes, I guess that they do have some history. They are still 90 wins behind us.

I have a different perspective on this, but I totally respect your passion and point of view on it.

Will be keen to watch what the wizards in Beaverton come up with for 2014.

OrangePA said:
The beauty of the sports team uniform in my mind is that it connects one season to the next. When I see Derek Jeter in the Yankee pinstripes I can track the look back to Mickey Mantle - there is a tangible connection between the two great players and their teams. The pinstripes also preserve an emotional connection between the past successes on the field and the contemporary team. When I watch old films of Alabama, or Ohio State or Auburn or Texas, I'm watching the same team that I see today - the players are different but it's the same team that I see - and that's a good thing. When the traditional uniform is preserved, the team is preserved - we are rooting for or rooting against the same team - with only brief offseason breaks interrupting the play on the field. When I see Brisly Estime in the traditional SU uniform, I am also watching Kirby Dar Dar returning a KO or Marvin Harrison returning a punt. When I watch Terrel Hunt throwing or running the ball in the traditional orange and blue I'm also watching Donovan or Marvin or Donnie or Todd Philcox or even Paul Paolisso or Randy Zur. The traditional orange helmets, orange pants and blue and white jerseys connect me to 1968 when I walked into Archbold for the first time. The players come and go but the uniform - the orange and blue - remains. In many respects it is the team - my team. When we junk our traditional uniform we disconnect our heritage. Oregon has no heritage - there was never anything to junk. We are more like Alabama and Auburn and Texas than most think. And I think that should be preserved.

This is the perfect argument if your premise is that uni's are primarily about the fans and not about the people who wear them.

The problem is - that it is both of those things. Kids are more interested in style than history. That's just a fact. It's much like the "recruits should choose based on education first - then NFL, where their friends are going, uni's, recent wins, etc.".

There is a fine line there. The best uni's should honor the past, while being in style for today.

FreakTalksAboutSU said:
Its a lot simpler for me. Our school teams are named after a ****ing color. To not have that color heavily featured in our uniform makes us look stupid. Just my opinion of course.

I've said it before - if it's in the name, you don't need to over do it in the uni. What percentage would satisfy your need for "heavily"?

We aren't the Yankees. That's a nationally if not globally iconic uniform.

I am hopeful we will have a sleek modern look that also honors the tradition. I don't want Otto on a smoke gray matte helmet or whatever.

Maybe I'm boring but I love blue on orange at home, white on orange on road. Throw me one alternate uni a year.

That's true - we are not the Yankees.

But the traditional uniform is a brand and reflects something of value - for the Yankees, for the Alabama Crimson Tide and for Syracuse University Football.

... and reflects something of value ...
To some.

It boggles my mind how much uniforms are discussed on here -- I also hate the "wear orange to the game" arguments; who cares? -- but if it matters to those of us who can't play, imagine how much more important it is those who will. And they happen to like catching gloves that form logos or spell out words when you put your hands together. Go figure.

The fans of Alabama, Michigan, Penn State, etc. who pride themselves on their team's traditional uniforms are also the people who'd say to us that "real football is played outside." F 'em.

Last thing -- and I haven't read the whole entry -- but it's not like the Yankees haven't made some tweaks to their logo or uniforms over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos_and_uniforms_of_the_New_York_Yankees. (I don't think the entry even covers their short-lived decision in the 2000s to switch from polyester to cotton uniforms.)

Last edited:
since were disusing fashion - if i have on blue pants -what color sneaker should i wear after labor day?

I've said it before - if it's in the name, you don't need to over do it in the uni. What percentage would satisfy your need for "heavily"?

Like...not all blue, or not blue and white?

I completely disagree that if its in the name it DOESNT need to be in the uniforms.

Percentage? It either needs to the main color or the main secondary color. Either make the jerseys orange, or the helmets and pants.

Again though, this is just one man's opinion, not gospel

If we're going to be a topnotch college fan base then we ought to care about our traditions, including the pride of the uniform. It doesn't have to be unchanging, but it does have to reflect our school and inspire our support. We are the SYRACUSE ORANGEMEN (yes, that's shouting). When a kid comes to SU he buys into the program, which includes the fans. Without traditions we're just watching exhibition games.

I am 39 years old, I look at Oregon the past 25 years and I will say they have had a pretty good run. I don't give a RATS FRICKING ASS about the 50's the 60's the 70's and at this point the 80's. that won't pay the bills or buy you a cup of coffee. Good luck with that, selling a 59 national championship to a 18 year old kid. What.

And yes I charged the field after the 87 win over WVU, after we drove back from the tip off classic versus UNC. Great memory but that was 27 years ago. Good lord guys, move on.

Army use to be good too, Atari 2600 use to be cutting edge as well. Keep the uniforms and keep playing missile command.

The beauty of the sports team uniform in my mind is that it connects one season to the next.

When I see Derek Jeter in the Yankee pinstripes I can track the look back to Mickey Mantle - there is a tangible connection between the two great players and their teams.

The pinstripes also preserve an emotional connection between the past successes on the field and the contemporary team.

When I watch old films of Alabama, or Ohio State or Auburn or Texas, I'm watching the same team that I see today - the players are different but it's the same team that I see - and that's a good thing.

When the traditional uniform is preserved, the team is preserved - we are rooting for or rooting against the same team - with only brief offseason breaks interrupting the play on the field.

When I see Brisly Estime in the traditional SU uniform, I am also watching Kirby Dar Dar returning a KO or Marvin Harrison returning a punt.

When I watch Terrel Hunt throwing or running the ball in the traditional orange and blue I'm also watching Donovan or Marvin or Donnie or Todd Philcox or even Paul Paolisso or Randy Zur.

The traditional orange helmets, orange pants and blue and white jerseys connect me to 1968 when I walked into Archbold for the first time.

The players come and go but the uniform - the orange and blue - remains.

In many respects it is the team - my team.

When we junk our traditional uniform we disconnect our heritage.

Oregon has no heritage - there was never anything to junk.

We are more like Alabama and Auburn and Texas than most think.

And I think that should be preserved.
Great, great post.....some of the responses :bang:Oh Lord
You capture some of the essence of college sports. Well done

I am 39 years old, I look at Oregon the past 25 years and I will say they have had a pretty good run. I don't give a RATS FRICKING ASS about the 50's the 60's the 70's and at this point the 80's. that won't pay the bills or buy you a cup of coffee. Good luck with that, selling a 59 national championship to a 18 year old kid. What.

And yes I charged the field after the 87 win over WVU, after we drove back from the tip off classic versus UNC. Great memory but that was 27 years ago. Good lord guys, move on.

Army use to be good too, Atari 2600 use to be cutting edge as well. Keep the uniforms and keep playing missile command.
sports history is nothing like the movement of technology -

Great initial post, and responses. I think it is hilarious we keep on talking about this topic (and have multiple strings on it). But I guess that shows it is important. My take is that uniforms change, even for the powerhouses (and those with the best tradition in the NFL and NCAA have all tweaked them). Half shirts, numbers on helmets, school names on helmets, black piping, mascots, etc have all come and gone. I'm sure many kids (maybe not all, but many) want to play at a school with a progressive looking uniform in this day and age. I don't think Syracuse has peaked as a brand in football, so there is time to tweak the combinations along the way. IMO, the uniform could use more Orange, but thought the blue uniforms looked pretty good. It has been mentioned that a brighter orange would look great, I'd like to see that. But the bottom line is that I root for the team regardless of the uniform. I take the uniform changes as a way for the athletic department to make money, and to get buzz with recruits (and current players).

Best post of the thread!! No kid cares about SU's history and what they did in the 50's and 60's. Middle aged men with beer belly's can get a tear in their eye and get nostalgic about decades ago but nobody under the age of 20 gives a crap (sorry just reality). Modern media doesn't care, high school recruits don't care, and the younger fan base doesn't care. Live in the moment, adapt to the era of college football we are in...and YES changing uniforms, having multiple uniform options, and getting creative and wild with uniform designs is what gets headlines and is a part of college football in this day of age. Not saying everyone has to like it but deal with the reality of the situation. SU better mix up and get some new uniform combinations and do something to draw attention to themselves. And guess what if Alabama has a decade of losing, they will screw their tradition and have a bunch of new outlandish uniforms as well to try and "update their product."

I find rooting for the color of laundry to be kind of silly. I still do it, of course, but it is silly.

USC? I can't think of any changes they've made. The helmet decal has stayed the same, no fancy piping on the uniforms the same rich colors.

Some other schools that have remained relatively unchanged are Ohio St, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Tennessee, North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan State, Texas and LSU.