why is morris getting the ball on pivotal 3rd and 2? | Syracusefan.com

why is morris getting the ball on pivotal 3rd and 2?

Millhouse

Living Legend
what is so hard about a read option with Hunt and Ameen Moore? If there's one thing this offense can do, it can spread people out and get 2 yards in 2 plays. Instead , Morris gets one try then they punt. Read option with AAM twice dummies!

If Shafer weren't so scared of 4th down punts, the whole offense could change.

In the second quarter, they threw to estime on 3rd and 3 then punted at the 50. RUN TWICE IDIOTS. If you want to score, keep the ball

The blocked punt drive stalled when they throw to McFarlane on 2nd and 6. why why why

what is so hard about a read option with Hunt and Ameen Moore? If there's one thing this offense can do, it can spread people out and get 2 yards in 2 plays. Instead , Morris gets one try then they punt. Read option with AAM twice dummies!

If Shafer weren't so scared of 4th down punts, the whole offense could change.

In the second quarter, they threw to estime on 3rd and 3 then punted at the 50. RUN TWICE IDIOTS. If you want to score, keep the ball

The blocked punt drive stalled when they throw to McFarlane on 2nd and 6. why why why

Well in their defense Run DMC did drop a very catchable ball that would have made extending the drive much easier. But I agree with your first statement. Especially when we find our QB running for over 150 yards with relative ease.

I'm more than a bit confused by the "everybody plays!" Little League rotation that we employ at tailback. One thing that Jim Boeheim does well is to ride a hot hand right into the MF'ing ground.

I think we get too cute and follow the trends of the sport too much. It's "in" to let your lead RB only get 15 carries and have a deep rotation. But when two guys are killing it early on then give them the damn ball all the time.

And I thoroughly agree about 3rd/4th downs. The problem is that a coach who's philosophy is to go for it whenever possible sees 3rd downs as 2 down situations. Our's is terrified of 4th downs so we get stuck creating worse situations for ourselves on that down. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, basically.

But I've already given up on SS in that regard. He's just another HC who is scared of his own shadow when it comes to 4th down.

I'm more than a bit confused by the "everybody plays!" Little League rotation that we employ at tailback. One thing that Jim Boeheim does well is to ride a hot hand right into the MF'ing ground.

I think we get too cute and follow the trends of the sport too much. It's "in" to let your lead RB only get 15 carries and have a deep rotation. But when two guys are killing it early on then give them the damn ball all the time.

And I thoroughly agree about 3rd/4th downs. The problem is that a coach who's philosophy is to go for it whenever possible sees 3rd downs as 2 down situations. Our's is terrified of 4th downs so we get stuck creating worse situations for ourselves on that down. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy, basically.

But I've already given up on SS in that regard. He's just another HC who is scared of his own shadow when it comes to 4th down.
the meathead tribe's love of punting trumps its love of running. if you punted less, you could run more. but we can't have that

the meathead tribe's love of punting trumps its love of running. if you punted less, you could run more. but we can't have that
I think like a lot of people have said on this board, why didn't we keep running inside with Gulley and AAM. They were eating up Maryland with that. You keep doing and doing it, somewhere Maryland needs to adjust then you can sneak a pass in there once in a while and to me that makes Hunt that much better.

I'm more than a bit confused by the "everybody plays!" Little League rotation that we employ at tailback.
This is becoming another board meme. If we're talking about Maryland at least, Hunt, PTG and AAM accounted for 46 out of 51 carries (90%). Morris got 3, DMC got 1, and Erv had 1 that was really a pass. On the season Hunt, PTG and AAM have gotten 74% of the carries.

This is becoming another board meme. If we're talking about Maryland at least, Hunt, PTG and AAM accounted for 46 out of 51 carries (90%). Morris got 3, DMC got 1, and Erv had 1 that was really a pass. On the season Hunt, PTG and AAM have gotten 74% of the carries.

I think the biggest board meme will soon be the use of meme.

Hunt, Gulley, Ameen Moore, 717 yards on 99 carries, 7.24 yards per carry

Philips Morris and McFarlane, 92 yards on 29 carries, 3.17 yards per carry.

Let's give Hunt Gulley and Ameen more of those carries.

people complain about too many guys getting carries. you think that they're saying everyone gets the same carries. no ones saying that. give the ball to the guys who are better at gaining yards as much as possible

Hunt, Gulley, Ameen Moore, 717 yards on 99 carries, 7.24 yards per carry

Philips Morris and McFarlane, 92 yards on 29 carries, 3.17 yards per carry.

Let's give Hunt Gulley and Ameen more of those carries.

people complain about too many guys getting carries. you think that they're saying everyone gets the same carries. no ones saying that. give the ball to the guys who are better at gaining yards as much as possible
Last season the Morris/MCF combo ran for just a shade under 5 per.

Look, people say we need playmakers. Well, ok, Morris, MCF and Phillips have all shown that to a certain extent. If they didn't see the field at all McDonald would be getting killed for sitting his playmakers. If they do see the field, it's "we play too many guys."

Shafer was saying they couldn't get that real good momentum play. I think that's difficult if your players don't get any momentum. You get a 9 yard run then you subbed out and won't be back in till the next series lol. That goes for wrs also
i want West on the field as much as possible, only consistent guy catching the ball downfield

Last season the Morris/MCF combo ran for just a shade under 5 per.

Look, people say we need playmakers. Well, ok, Morris, MCF and Phillips have all shown that to a certain extent. If they didn't see the field at all McDonald would be getting killed for sitting his playmakers. If they do see the field, it's "we play too many guys."
the best playmakers are hunt gulley and ameen more. whoever those people are, take it up with them

I guess I'm a member of that tribe but I do think that the rigid "I've regretted not punting but never punting" philosophy is overdone. I'd punt if we are in our own territory and if there's more than a couple of yards to go and we are in the other team's territory. The presentce of a good "place" punter like Riley Dixon makes it more of a weapon than it usually is. A Dixon punt is certainly better than a Norton field goal attempt. But if you've crossed midfield, are not in chip shot range and you have only a couple of yards to make, give it a shot. Make them play defense for four downs and maybe keep some promsing drives going.

You know what other schools do when they have talent discrepancies at positions- they move guys around or create plays to use them.

If the coaches saw this different dimension from Phillips in camp, let's see some packages where he is used with PTG and AAM on the field. I have nothing against West/Lewis/Flemming, but can our staff become creative and put Estime/Broyld/Erv/PTG(or AAM)/Custis on the field at the same time?

Why can't we run read option with two RB's and not a FB? Why can't we go full house from the 25 instead of waiting until it's a goal-line situation?

If our OC calls us a running team, then why is he throwing on 3rd and short against a team we are destroying at the line? I'd be fine if a 3rd and 2 call was a play-action deep shot if you are planning to go on 4th.

A Dixon punt is certainly better than a Norton field goal attempt.
Hmm. I think Dixon's about as good as it gets at the college level, but I think your statement is false. Norton, shaky as he is, gives you like a 60% chance at points when the ball leaves his foot, whereas Dixon gives you a 0% chance of points when the ball leaves his foot.

If the coaches saw this different dimension from Phillips in camp, let's see some packages where he is used with PTG and AAM on the field. I have nothing against West/Lewis/Flemming, but can our staff become creative and put Estime/Broyld/Erv/PTG(or AAM)/Custis on the field at the same time?
I believe the play that Phillips got blown up on had the player combo you were looking for.:noidea:

I believe the play that Phillips got blown up on had the player combo you were looking for.:noidea:

I thought Flemming/Parris were on the side where the ball went on that one. Hard to tell from where I was in 316 who was on the perimeter- maybe syracuse.com will have the info on their offensive recap. Maryland player didn't hesitate at the snap- they knew the screen was coming.

I thought Flemming/Parris were on the side where the ball went on that one. Hard to tell from where I was in 316 who was on the perimeter- maybe syracuse.com will have the info on their offensive recap. Maryland player didn't hesitate at the snap- they knew the screen was coming.
Phillips wasn't lined up in the backfield I mean.

Hmm. I think Dixon's about as good as it gets at the college level, but I think your statement is false. Norton, shaky as he is, gives you like a 60% chance at points when the ball leaves his foot, whereas Dixon gives you a 0% chance of points when the ball leaves his foot.
you just substituted a really dumb question for a tougher question

"what gives us a better chance of winning in the end?" is a hard question so you substitute a stupid question "which one play gives us a better chance of scoring 3 right now" that you can answer

Internet board poster: Punting is stupid! The numbers back it up!

Guy whose income and job depends on making the actual decision and whose defense got him a HC gig: Play conservative. Defense.

---

It may be stupid, but the financial incentive is to fail conservatively rather than fail making choices very few make in that position.

And it's an easy call to make from ones couch.

---

I do agree on the option with Hunt or AMM. Should be easy to get two yards.

Internet board poster: Punting is stupid! The numbers back it up!

Guy whose income and job depends on making the actual decision and whose defense got him a HC gig: Play conservative. Defense.

---

It may be stupid, but the financial incentive is to fail conservatively rather than fail making choices very few make in that position.

And it's an easy call to make from ones couch.

---

I do agree on the option with Hunt or AMM. Should be easy to get two yards.
after all that, you go ahead and disagree with the coach.

Millhouse said:
after all that, you go ahead and disagree with the coach.

On 3rd down, they should get two easy. On 4th? I don't know what I'd do. With my income not tied to the decision? I'd probably go for it. Otherwise?

you just substituted a really dumb question for a tougher question

"what gives us a better chance of winning in the end?" is a hard question so you substitute a stupid question "which one play gives us a better chance of scoring 3 right now" that you can answer
Look, we can string it out to try to figure out the likelihood that the other team scores or gives you the ball back and where after a missed FG try vs a punt and yadda yadda yadda, but SWC's statement was that a Dixon punt is certainly better than a Norton FG try. That's not certain.

That said, you're on one today, so don't let me slow you down.

It's a shame we can't confidentally just run straight forward for 2 yards even if the defense knows it's coming. If you're going to get cute with playcalling or subbing players in this scenario it should be a) 2 down territory and the cute play should be a PA deep pass. Otherwise run the killdozer package twice and presume that our power back can fall forward for 2 yards on 2 plays.

On 3rd down, they should get two easy. On 4th? I don't know what I'd do. With my income not tied to the decision? I'd probably go for it. Otherwise?
I kind of wonder if a coach actually would have their income threatened by being more aggressive on 4th downs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom