Why isn't Syracuse a Jordan Brand school? | Syracusefan.com

Why isn't Syracuse a Jordan Brand school?

cuse10

All American
Cal (deal expires after this academic year, moving to UA), Georgetown, Michigan, Marquette and North Carolina (obviously) are the universities sponsored by Jordan Brand. Of the five schools, only two have a direct link to the brand as UNC is Jordan's alma mater and current Chicago Bull and Marquette alum, Jimmy Butler is sponsored by them. With Carmelo Anthony not only playing at Syracuse, but being a face of the NBA, it's become a head scratcher as to why the Orange aren't one of the flagships universities under the Jumpman.

Probably because there's no real reason to switch. I also wonder if Nike kind of chooses who they offer the Jordan brand to?

The equipment and money offered to the school would be the same. The only difference would be the logo.

Probably because there's no real reason to switch. I also wonder if Nike kind of chooses who they offer the Jordan brand to?

The equipment and money offered to the school would be the same. The only difference would be the logo.

I assume the basketball sneakers available are different too. I've never seen any of our players wearing any of the current Jordan Brand sneakers. It's always Nike's. I remember Waiters used to play in some of the retro Air Jordan's though...ones that originally came out before Jordan Brand was even a thing.

I don't think it matters, but as shown in this picture they are also given Jordan Brand sneakers for games at times. I also believe being part of the "Nike Elite" group with the likes of Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, Oregon is where we want to be and stay.

I assume the basketball sneakers available are different too. I've never seen any of our players wearing any of the current Jordan Brand sneakers. It's always Nike's. I remember Waiters used to play in some of the retro Air Jordan's though...ones that originally came out before Jordan Brand was even a thing.

I thought DCII wore some Jordan's in his early years on campus, but it's possible those were his own personal shoes. I don't know how the whole shoe game works with the schools. I don't know if players request the shoes they want or if they just give their size and Nike sends them a warehouse of stuff. I'd imagine Nike wouldn't have an issue with players requesting Jordan shoes. Nike gets exposure either way.

I don't think it matters, but as shown in this picture they are also given Jordan Brand sneakers for games at times. I also believe being part of the "Nike Elite" group with the likes of Kentucky, Duke, Arizona, Oregon is where we want to be and stay.

Well, there goes what I said up above. I wonder if this is a first? I've never noticed us wearing Melo's before.

Nike teams can wear Jordans. Here is a pic of CJ Fair and a UConn player wearing Jordans:

5982512.jpg

Well, there goes what I said up above. I wonder if this is a first? I've never noticed us wearing Melo's before.

When Melo got his first NBA shoes, SU players wore them but complained about the poor traction on the soles.

Nike or Jordan doesn't matter to me. As long as we're not adidas or UA.

Or that gawd awful Russell Athletic garb a la that bubble team we're going to waste on Saturday! :)

I think Derrick Coleman should hook SU up with BK to make the Cuse unique in the college basketball world. Is there any chance DC has a closet full of Dymacels he can lend to the SUAD?

After Nike advised Syracuse to neuter Orangemen to orange and have completely ruined our jerseys both in football and basketball I wouldn't mind leaving Nike.

Go to UA or Adidas and bring back the old uniforms in football and basketball.

After Nike advised Syracuse to neuter Orangemen to orange and have completely ruined our jerseys both in football and basketball I wouldn't mind leaving Nike.

Go to UA or Adidas and bring back the old uniforms in football and basketball.

UA wouldn't be bad. But hell no to Adidas. Their shoes are okay but their uniform designs usually suck.

Fair and Grant used to wear retro 11 concords a lot when they were here. Pretty sure Chukwu wears Jordan's when he plays or did play. I remember Coleman would wear retros as well earlier in his career. The trend the past few seasons has been the low top nikes for the most part

Fair and Grant used to wear retro 11 concords a lot when they were here. Pretty sure Chukwu wears Jordan's when he plays or did play. I remember Coleman would wear retros as well earlier in his career. The trend the past few seasons has been the low top nikes for the most part

Yeah, I've noticed lots of Kobe's and KD's in recent years.

UA wouldn't be bad. But hell no to Adidas. Their shoes are okay but their uniform designs usually suck.

I've never seen anyone playing in UA shoes except for Steph Curry, really young kids wearing Curry's, and old guys who picked up a cheap pair of UA's at Marshalls. Not that they don't make good performing shoes, but they just haven't gained much traction in that area except for Curry's. I don't think most kids entering college want to play in UA's if they have a choice. I think being a Nike school is certainly a positive in that regard.

I've never seen anyone playing in UA shoes except for Steph Curry, really young kids wearing Curry's, and old guys who picked up a cheap pair of UA's at Marshalls. Not that they don't make good performing shoes, but they just haven't gained much traction in that area except for Curry's. I don't think most kids entering college want to play in UA's if they have a choice. I think being a Nike school is certainly a positive in that regard.

I would rather stay Nike, I just hate Adidas between the other two choices. AAU plays a big role in recruiting and shoe companies play a big role in AAU. For that reason alone, the school will and should stay with Nike. They have the biggest presence by a lot.

Being a person who collects sneakers I wouldn't want Syracuse to wear anything other than Jordan or Nike. UA sneakers are ugly and the only adidas sneaker I like is the new yeezy's but those are not for basketball.

The quality of their apparel also really sucks. Loved when Michigan switched back to Nike.