Why isn't this question asked | Syracusefan.com

Why isn't this question asked

Lrschill24

Walk On
For all of those who are asking questions about JB's coaching strategy and why this player does or does not play, why is no one asking why our inside players (Christmas, Coleman and Keita) seemed to have stopped improving or even regressed with Mike Hopkins coaching them?

Posters want JB to step aside if Hopkins is in line to be offered a major conference coaching job after the season but if Hopkins can't get more development out of the inside players, shouldn't that be a warning flag to a degree?

For all of those who are asking questions about JB's coaching strategy and why this player does or does not play, why is no one asking why our inside players (Christmas, Coleman and Keita) seemed to have stopped improving or even regressed with Mike Hopkins coaching them?

Posters want JB to step aside if Hopkins is in line to be offered a major conference coaching job after the season but if Hopkins can't get more development out of the inside players, shouldn't that be a warning flag to a degree?
Keita is not going to be anymore than he is now other than gaining some experience.
Coleman will likely be fine next year. He has never had to play against guys as big and quick as he is now.
Christmas just needs to develop some attitude which he apparently doesn't want to do except in spots.

Christmas is overmatched by the skillsets of a Dieng but he is just as quick as any of these guys. I thought his quickness would've been an advantage against Gardner. He just dosn't get it. Yes, he deserves the ball more and I don't know why that is not happening. It's frustrating since I was at the game where he filled in for Fab @ Cincinnati last year. He was awesome. I don't see how we can sit here and think he 'will likely be fine next year.'

The only hope is for Coleman to improve. Highly doubt we get much more from Christmas and Keita. Not sure what they saw in either one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. He's had almost 2 whole years. He screwed up with Fab by not doing his school work even though he was the best center in the big East and one of the best in the country when he was on the court. Can't understand why they don't perform in the Bid East schedule like they do against LeMoyne.
We'll just forget these few little details though.

The only hope is for Coleman to improve. Highly doubt we get much more from Christmas and Keita. Not sure what they saw in either one.

Disagree about Christmas, he has shown flashes of greatness. Granted, they have been few and far between, but I think that next year will be the make or break season for him. Let's see how much effort he puts into the off season to improve himself. This is the first year of him getting play time against D1 centers. I think, if their work ethic is there, everyone will be surprised at both he and Coleman.

It's been asked. Someone called into the post game show asking why Boeheim appointed a guard to coach the big men. The development of our centers was, to him an indication of how great a big man coach Bernie Fine was and how lousy Hopkins is. JB should have hired a big man to coach the big man.

Mike Hopkins is bigger than Bernie Fine was. Bernie never even played the game. He was a student manager. For that manner, Boeheim wasn't a "big man" either. Maybe we do need a big man coach but it has nothing to do with Hopkins being a guard.

Disagree about Christmas, he has shown flashes of greatness. Granted, they have been few and far between, but I think that next year will be the make or break season for him. Let's see how much effort he puts into the off season to improve himself. This is the first year of him getting play time against D1 centers. I think, if their work ethic is there, everyone will be surprised at both he and Coleman.

I wish I shared your optimism, amigo. I agree that this is XMas's first infusion of heavy minutes this year, but both the skill set and the production seem generally on par with last year. In other words, subpar.

I would love for Christmas to develop into a steady 7 and 7 type player. That would only be one or two baskets per half, and 1-2 free throws throughout a game. Clearly, the physical tools are there, but something just isn't adding up with this kid.

I wish I shared your optimism, amigo. I agree that this is XMas's first infusion of heavy minutes this year, but both the skill set and the production seem generally on par with last year. In other words, subpar.

I would love for Christmas to develop into a steady 7 and 7 type player. That would only be one or two baskets per half, and 1-2 free throws throughout a game. Clearly, the physical tools are there, but something just isn't adding up with this kid.

Agree with you this year. I am hoping that he and Coleman will spend A LOT of time together this summer. Both can help each other in many ways. After being beat up as badly as they have, I am hoping the lightbulb goes on after reflecting upon the season. I can see the possibilities, it is up to them to make it a reality. Will they? That remains to be seen. All I can do is hope, and support the kids playing for the team we love!

Rak as a Freshman:
11.5M 9.6P 10.2R 0.7A 1.0S 2.8B = 24.3+ 3.0MFG 1.1MFT 2.2TO 5.9PF = 12.2- = 12.1NP 5.5OE 6.6FG

Rak as a sophomore, so far:
22.2M 10.1P 8.9R 0.4A 0.9S 3.5B = 23.8+ 3.4MFG 0.8MFT 1.7TO 4.4PF = 10.3- = 13.5NP 5.9OE 7.6FG

His scoring is actually up slightly. His rebounding has declined, (which limits his scoring opportunities). He's blocking more shots, making fewer turnovers and committing far fewer fouls. So he has improved slightly over last year, except in rebounding.

I know. He's had almost 2 whole years. He screwed up with Fab by not doing his school work even though he was the best center in the big East and one of the best in the country when he was on the court. Can't understand why they don't perform in the Bid East schedule like they do against LeMoyne.
We'll just forget these few little details though.

Why is it wrong to expect that Christmas this year could be close to the production of an Etan Thomas in his sophomore year (28 minutes, 11 points and 6 rebounds per game). I'm not expecting Christmas to dominate Georgetown like its Alcorn St. but I do expect that a player nearing the end of the sophomore year with 60+ games played would have shown something of an offensive game outside of a dunk. When MCW has 5 less rebounds over the course of the sesson versus Christmas that is not good for our starting center

I saw one or two of X's hs vids and I wasn't impressed then. I have said many times that I am not as high on X as almost anyone else on this forum. He has four basic problems:

1. He only has average size for a five.

2. He has no game - in the sense that he doesn't have a baby hook, a short J, or any O skill other than to dunk. He doesn't even have the two dribble handle that effective bigs need to free themselves up inside.

3. He has no feel for the game. By that I mean, that he doesn't know how to use his strengths (quickness and athleticism) to get himself free or to position himself to be an above average rebounder.

4. He has no great motor. He is not in perpetual motion to wear his opponents down. You would think that would be his biggest potential advantage.

I still remember people on this forum (and the HOF coach) thinking X could even play at the 4 where more skills are required - LOL !!!

Now, I do not mean this post to totally disparage X, I think he could and should be a very serviceable backup as he is. Bottom line - we need DC2 to step up big-time next year & for X and BMK to split the remaining 15 MPG.

rebounding is pure desire-

im 6ft on a good day and 30 years ago i used to play hoops against way bigger guys in the city with a friend-
when i say i was bad i was bad-except at rebounding- i just had more desire than the rest because that was all i could do- they nicknamed me "lacrosse" because my skinny little white a$$ would just move those guys around-

Rak as a Freshman:
11.5M 9.6P 10.2R 0.7A 1.0S 2.8B = 24.3+ 3.0MFG 1.1MFT 2.2TO 5.9PF = 12.2- = 12.1NP 5.5OE 6.6FG

Rak as a sophomore, so far:
22.2M 10.1P 8.9R 0.4A 0.9S 3.5B = 23.8+ 3.4MFG 0.8MFT 1.7TO 4.4PF = 10.3- = 13.5NP 5.9OE 7.6FG

His scoring is actually up slightly. His rebounding has declined, (which limits his scoring opportunities). He's blocking more shots, making fewer turnovers and committing far fewer fouls. So he has improved slightly over last year, except in rebounding.

His scoring is up only a fraction, over 40. That's not improvement, that is stagnancy.

We have overrated talent with the hopes someday soon they will contribute.

in all my years watching don't believe jb has ever used the low post as a primary scoring option.

they nicknamed me "lacrosse" because my skinny little white a$$ would just move those guys around-

You thought that was why they called you lacrosse, It was probably because that's the game they thought you should be playing rather than BB. :)

in all my years watching don't believe jb has ever used the low post as a primary scoring option.

Maybe just '96, when we had a superstar 4 in Wallace and a highly skilled offensive center in Hill. We were more of a half court team, with a ball control point guard [Z] and not great three point shooting from the perimeter quartet of Z / Cipolla / Janulis / Burgan.

Other than that, I'm not sure that there was ever a team I can remember that emphasized the low post as the primary scoring option. Maybe in the tournament in '87, when suddenly Rony Seikaly became superman offensively.

Eh, guards don't know how to use the post. Not sure if there were others, doubtful, but I recall three traditional post entry passes.

We throw one pass into the post to Coleman, goes up misses.

We throw one pass to Keita, defense collapses slightly, Baye hits Fair at the foul line, Fair hits free throw line jumper.

We throw one pass to Xmas, Triche makes a little cut after the pass, Xmas gets him the ball back and BT hits a lob to Southerland. I think Rak got another dish that he bobbled, but I don't think that was a traditional post pass - just a dish where he did his bobbling thing.

They will all probably touch the ball in those situation again in a week or three.

Problem is guards don't understand basketball, not the other way around. Use the bigs to make the defense adjust, let them touch the ball, they may get more comfortable. Everyone says Grant is struggling because he lost confidence with the quick hooks since Dirty came back, but somehow Xmas, Coleman should be impervious to that treatment for a whole year? Nonsense.

At least Fab had Scoop who regularly got into the lane and dished - that happens so rarely on this team that the bigs are so beyond shocked that they tend to throw their arms up in fear when it occurs.

If I'm a big on this team I might take naps on the court.

I saw one or two of X's hs vids and I wasn't impressed then. I have said many times that I am not as high on X as almost anyone else on this forum. He has four basic problems:

1. He only has average size for a five.

2. He has no game - in the sense that he doesn't have a baby hook, a short J, or any O skill other than to dunk. He doesn't even have the two dribble handle that effective bigs need to free themselves up inside.

3. He has no feel for the game. By that I mean, that he doesn't know how to use his strengths (quickness and athleticism) to get himself free or to position himself to be an above average rebounder.

4. He has no great motor. He is not in perpetual motion to wear his opponents down. You would think that would be his biggest potential advantage.

I still remember people on this forum (and the HOF coach) thinking X could even play at the 4 where more skills are required - LOL !!!

Now, I do not mean this post to totally disparage X, I think he could and should be a very serviceable backup as he is. Bottom line - we need DC2 to step up big-time next year & for X and BMK to split the remaining 15 MPG.
I keep reminding people that while Xmas was a McD's AA, he had the lowest ppg of anybody at that game and he only averaged 11.3ppg his senior year. Not much for a supposed dominate big man. His 9 rpg was not hughed compared to othe MDAA either. And one comment I had read back then was that he doesn't always hustle.

After J.B.---think"Smart"!!!

Maybe just '96, when we had a superstar 4 in Wallace and a highly skilled offensive center in Hill. We were more of a half court team, with a ball control point guard [Z] and not great three point shooting from the perimeter quartet of Z / Cipolla / Janulis / Burgan.

Other than that, I'm not sure that there was ever a team I can remember that emphasized the low post as the primary scoring option. Maybe in the tournament in '87, when suddenly Rony Seikaly became superman offensively.

'88-'90 (Seikaly's senior year through DCs senior year) we used the low post as the primary option - not the only option, but the primary one. AO's senior year we looked to score inside first with Rick and AO. We certainly had other options, but the first look was always to go down low. JB's best teams would establish the low post and then work the inside-outside game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom