Why Louisville Will Win | Syracusefan.com

Why Louisville Will Win

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Dino Babers is going to make it big here at Syracuse but there will be steps forward and steps backward and this will be a step backward. Louisville is the team we hope to be someday. We’re trying to mix an Eastern Illinois offense with a North Dakota State defense but Louisville has a Bobby Petrino offense and a Charlie Strong defense. This could be their best team ever and we will have a hard time competing with them. The important thing to remember is that this will be a journey, not a miracle and the lessons learned in this game will lead to improvement and better days ahead for Syracuse. We will have a big, breakthrough win over a ranked team but this won’t be it – not yet.

- Did you see the Florida State-Mississippi game? The Noles came out flat and seemed confused by the Rebel’s approach. They made some mistakes and fell way behind. Then they got their act together and scored 33 unanswered points. Ole Miss got one more score on a long play but they were otherwise dominated. State did it with aggressive penetration, getting in Kelly’s face and forcing him into mistakes. What you were looking at is what Louisville can do to Syracuse. They have a 300 pound nose tackle, (DeAngelo Brown) who will be a bull in a china shop, a great edge rusher in LB/DE Devonte Fields, another linebacker who may actually be better than Fields in Keith Kelsey and a freakish 6-5 230 safety in Josh Harvey-Clemons. They will probably all play in the NFL someday. You do know why the NFL doesn’t run the spread, right? It’s the athletes they have on defense. Louisville has got ‘em, too.

- An opposing coach told SI: They’ve got tons of athletes defensively. Their team speed is tremendous and they’re very physical up front. Their secondary does a really good job in coverage and in talking away the easy-access throws.” That’s basically what Eric Dungey was completing last week when he was 34 for 40: easy-access throws. He and his receivers won’t be able to just play catch this time.

- Those problems we were having blocking in the middle of the line for runs or passes we’re just because Colgate had committed to guarding the middle of the field. Dino Babers said on his show “We want to be able to run the ball when we want to run the ball, not just because that’s what they are giving us.” We couldn’t do it against and FCS team. We aren’t going to be able to do it against Louisville and it’s going to impact both the run and the pass, because Brown, Fields and company will be after Dungey all day. People think this will be a shoot-out. It may be like the Gunfight at the OK Corral. I think we’ll have a hard time scoring in the 20’s in this game.

And Sheriff Behan will direct the chain gang.

- People have been comparing SU’s 33-7 defeat of Colgate to Louisville’s 70-14 demolition of Charlotte. It’s bene argued that that are comparable because Colgate was better than Charlotte and that we settled for field goals four times, which cost us 16 points: it could have been 49-7 and over a better team. Louisville was ahead of Charlotte 56-0 at halftime. They could easily have scored 100 points in that game if they had wanted to, and then nobody would be trying to compare our win over Colgate to that. They scored their 70 points on ten touchdowns. They didn’t have to settle for field goals.

- They beat us 41-17 last, (and it wasn’t that close) without Lamar Jackson. Now they’ve got him. Jackson is 6-3 and his leading receivers Jamari Staples and James Quick are 6-4 and 6-1, respectively. We have on 6-1 cornerback. The others are all under 6 feet. And we have a 5-8 safety. It will be Jackson and his receivers playing catch in this one the way we played catch against Colgate last week.

Why do you have to be so good at this? I have to read these first so I can have my spirits lifted by the "Why Syracuse Will Win."
Me too. Good night! I am drugging myself senseless and hope not to be too jet lagged tomorrow. WHY must the game be at 8 pm?. Gary will have to roll me home in a wheel barrow! :( Oh, so what?

Go Cuse!

Exceptionally good arguments for both teams. Louisville's is not as peppered with wish fulfillment as ours is but both are strong cases. Cheers!

I prefer to look at this game as a series of questions:

Is Jackson the next Michael Vick? He ran for 186 years last year against Kentucky (game 12) and ran for 220 yards against Texas A&M. Those are scary numbers.

Will the UL players be looking past SU for FSU next week on ABC? We were just orange peel on their shoes last year and they know it. Maybe.

UL in 5 road games last year went 3 - 2. They only lead the whole way in one of those games. They had to come from behind to beat Kentucky and WF on the road. Do road games get them rattled?

Last year we lost some games in the 2nd half because we were out hustled and showed inferior conditioning. Who's the best conditioned team now? I'm very curious to see how that plays out Friday nite.

Me too. Good night! I am drugging myself senseless and hope not to be too jet lagged tomorrow. WHY must the game be at 8 pm?. Gary will have to roll me home in a wheel barrow! :( Oh, so what?

Go Cuse!

Have you fully recovered from Alaska?

Have you fully recovered from Alaska?
I slept until 9:00 and am draggin' my wagon! I have things to do this afternoon. Maybe I'll get in a pre-game nap? Thanks for asking. :)

I prefer to look at this game as a series of questions:

Is Jackson the next Michael Vick? He ran for 186 years last year against Kentucky (game 12) and ran for 220 yards against Texas A&M. Those are scary numbers.

Will the UL players be looking past SU for FSU next week on ABC? We were just orange peel on their shoes last year and they know it. Maybe.

UL in 5 road games last year went 3 - 2. They only lead the whole way in one of those games. They had to come from behind to beat Kentucky and WF on the road. Do road games get them rattled?

Last year we lost some games in the 2nd half because we were out hustled and showed inferior conditioning. Who's the best conditioned team now? I'm very curious to see how that plays out Friday nite.

And we were 4-3 at home, losing by 10 to the #8 and #1 teams in the country and by 3 on a last play FG to an 8-5 Pittsburgh team.

of course they will !! But maybe not ,maybe we have had the metal we just needed the forge .
either way we're going to play , lets just see how this unfolds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom