Why no OTTO or cheerleaders? | Syracusefan.com

Why no OTTO or cheerleaders?

Tcuse

Walk On
Took my two young grandchildren to the game yesterday. Great game but they were both very disappointed with no Otto or other entertainment.
I realize that students are on vacation but it should be possible to find a person to at least parade around for pictures as Otto, and in previous years they had cheerleaders from local High Schools which makes the many TV time outs and half time much more bearable for our young future fans in attendance.

Took my two young grandchildren to the game yesterday. Great game but they were both very disappointed with no Otto or other entertainment.
I realize that students are on vacation but it should be possible to find a person to at least parade around for pictures as Otto, and in previous years they had cheerleaders from local High Schools which makes the many TV time outs and half time much more bearable for our young future fans in attendance.
Sorry, the squad returned to 'cuse at 2 am and many of them had not yet been home for the break.

Sorry, the squad returned to 'cuse at 2 am and many of them had not yet been home for the break.
Understand completely that the SU squad could not be there but why not get some local HS cheerleaders like they used to do? Entertainment for the fans and I am sure the HS kids get a kick out of performing in the dome. Might even make future SU fans out of some.

There's gotta be more then one Otto costume,no?

There's gotta be more then one Otto costume,no?

Otto has to go through weeks of training at cheerleader camp in order to be fully qualified to represent Syracuse University. You can't take a homeless guy off the street (or any other non-SU student) and put him in an Otto costume and expect it to end well.

Think "Bad Santa". :p

Otto has to go through weeks of training at cheerleader camp in order to be fully qualified to represent Syracuse University. You can't take a homeless guy off the street (or any other non-SU student) and put him in an Otto costume and expect it to end well.

Bad Otto. I love it. You're sitting on a gold mine.

Dont they still have the rainbow wig guy running around in Otto's absence at hoops games or did that die with the tomahawk chop?

I am not talking about doing the athletic routines or even spinning the costume but rather just someone to walk around as Otto and be available for pictures. Hard to believe there is not a single individual in the athletic department who could do that. Or maybe SU could plan ahead (insert joke here) and send a staff member to this camp.

Understand completely that the SU squad could not be there but why not get some local HS cheerleaders like they used to do? Entertainment for the fans and I am sure the HS kids get a kick out of performing in the dome. Might even make future SU fans out of some.
Our high schools are also on break.

Tcuse said:
Their kids are local so should not matter

Maybe you could get an Otto costume and fill the void?

Would keep the kids entertained at home too.

I have taken my now 7-year old twin boys to various SU and NY Giants football games and Otto/the cheerleaders can't hold their attention for more than a few seconds. And if I am Syracuse, I don't dare franchise out a dude just to wear a costume that represents the brand without the training that I guess comes with it.

With all the things that do go on in preparing for a Bowl, I can sleep at night if having a fourth-string, non-student Otto to appear isn't one of then.

I'm sorry but am I the only one who see this post as gratuitous whining? SU can't win with these fans. If Otto is the only thing keeping the kids from climbing the walls, then maybe they're not ready for the Dome. I'm not sure how they're going to become fans if the only thing keeping their interest is Otto's capering.

you cant win with the fans if you dont try.. Otto is one of the faces of the program. I have never been to a cornell home hockey game that the band didnt show up break or no break and they pay their own way to many of the away games. if otto gets sick in season do they not have a back up plan?

you cant win with the fans if you dont try.. Otto is one of the faces of the program. I have never been to a cornell home hockey game that the band didnt show up break or no break and they pay their own way to many of the away games. if otto gets sick in season do they not have a back up plan?

If they have a backup plan, I'm sure that student is on vacation as well.

not surprised if that is the case.. but if you want to be the Otto and face of the program , you need to be just as committed as the team. how many team managers didnt show up yesterday? you have 3-4 years to be part of the team experience if you want to do these types of things. maybe the kids wont do it if they have to show up for all the games?

I wonder how many of the dance team or who ever Otto is live so far away they couldnt make a trip for the game? I'm sure the parking lot attendants/bus drivers/food vendors would rather have had the day off than work during the break even with getting paid..

There are a bunch of Ottos, but I don't know how many of the new costume they have. Doubt they wanted to drag out the old ratty one of the Otto suit wasn't available.

For what it's worth, the Baldwinsville band and cheerleaders were there for the High Point game and performed admirably but I can see where it could be difficult to get kids who are in the middle of a 2 week break.

upperdeck said:
not surprised if that is the case.. but if you want to be the Otto and face of the program , you need to be just as committed as the team. how many team managers didnt show up yesterday? you have 3-4 years to be part of the team experience if you want to do these types of things. maybe the kids wont do it if they have to show up for all the games? I wonder how many of the dance team or who ever Otto is live so far away they couldnt make a trip for the game? I'm sure the parking lot attendants/bus drivers/food vendors would rather have had the day off than work during the break even with getting paid..

Are you seriously breaking balls with this? One friggin' game in the middle of break a day after a bowl game in Texas?!

The nerve. Un-flippin-believable.

i didnt bring it up.. but i noticed we had piped in music for the game. and is it one game? will they be there thursday or next weeks game?