Wildhack Interview (Bowl Games, Dino extension, Gameday) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Wildhack Interview (Bowl Games, Dino extension, Gameday)

it was interesting listening to chip morris talk about his HS job and that they had 300 staff, but that was the full staff including 8th, JV, varsity
I listened to that also and found it interesting how he developed his skills by getting information from college coaches if they wanted to talk to his players. It was a great listen.

I don't think it escapes any coaches attention that AD Long at Kansas has $300 million dollars that he is flashing around.

You keep beating this drum about the bowl and P12S. It’s not the point. Those should be givens considering how weak the P12 S is year in and year out. That should set you up for the Top 4, especially considering USC has the third most 4/5* guys on the roster. You are not supposed to be getting blown off the field in any sort of marquee or blue blood OOC or bowl matchup. If he stays it is NOT because of getting to some crappy bowl. It’s because the admin views other issues going on around campus more important as well as interim Pres not having enough power to override certain people and forces I won’t get into. You think Meyer, Dabo, or Saban stay with all of these debacles in games, players questioning lack of toughness in practices to the media, and those non-conf performances, lol?

I have come around to your POV here. Originally I didn't see it and I think Helton is ripe for saving his bacon in 2018 and being fired midway through the 2019 season or immediately after. I thought he would right the ship in 2018 but I am not sure it's going win many boosters back or that he will be able to dig out of swelling number of people who want him out

All that said, if Dino finished well and has a good 2019 campaign he will be way up on their list I would think. He's a good fit at USC and in SoCal. He has the charisma and swagger that they will love at USC and a good fit in LA. His ego can handle it no problem. The odds of him leaving for a job like USC are definitely well stacked against Syracuse and essentially a no brainer.

You also have to wonder if Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma for the NFL which has been rumored, you just never know. Dino is a great fit at USC Though no doubt about it and he would jump at the opportunity in a heartbeat and he should.

expectations at a place like USC are never rationale and they will chase the Pete Carroll success until they come close to finding it. They also have the $$ to keep chasing it as well

I have come around to your POV here. Originally I didn't see it and I think Helton is ripe for saving his bacon in 2018 and being fired midway through the 2019 season or immediately after. I thought he would right the ship in 2018 but I am not sure it's going win many boosters back or that he will be able to dig out of swelling number of people who want him out

All that said, if Dino finished well and has a good 2019 campaign he will be way up on their list I would think. He's a good fit at USC and in SoCal. He has the charisma and swagger that they will love at USC and a good fir in LA. His ego can handle it no problem. The odds of him leaving for a job like USC are definitely well stacked against Syracuse and essentially a no brainer.

You also have to wonder if Lincoln Riley leaves Oklahoma for the NFL which has been rumored, you just never know. Dino is a great fit at USC Though no doubt about it and he would jump at the opportunity in a heartbeat and he should

The next few months will be very interesting also. They have lost a couple of high profile recruits over the past few weeks. Decommitments. Since his demotion, Tee Martin has removed any ties to, pics, job titles/connections to USC, etc., off of social media. He is by far their best recruiter. They have coaches there who refuse to recruit. Clancy Pendergast doesn’t recruit. Martin was totally blindsided by this and crushed. Helton’s MO has been not to change ANYTHING, lol. They stick to that same practice plan installed in July/Aug and don’t deviate from anything. His coaches are mostly his old Conf USA buddies. So, Helton firing Callaway and demoting Martin means that somebody isn’t pleased. Whether that is the end of the punishment or just the beginning, we’ll see. Then again, for a guy like Helton (with no prior HC experience) to be the HC at USC making only slightly more than Babers tells you something too.

Last edited:
The first game we played in the ACC--at home vs. Clemson. Tigers warming up, put through their paces by their coaches. My friends and I started counting the number of their staff--coaches, GA's, interns, whatever. We got to 35 before the whistle sounded and they reshuffled. That is Clemson, doing their (very successful) SEC impersonation. That is not SU, and I doubt it ever will be. Two different worlds.

Not to mention the commonplace perks at the top programs; from slides to miniature golf, resident cooks and barbers, shoe dryers and on and on. Those schools pick their recruits and expect to compete for a NC every year. If we want sustained success at the highest level we have to get ranked recruiting classes comparable to our competition. We cannot have inferior facilities.

Our recent winning will create more revenue. The key to our future is how that increased revenue is allocated. If I were Babers I would request that the percentage of revenue that gets reinvested be raised, and if I were Wildhack I would seek authorization to initiate such a promise.

They'll skate, "Too big to fail". That is the way things operate now-a-days.

Then we should have skated too, it looks like we were the last of the "Big Boys" to fall to the NCAA

while everyone else is giving them the middle finger like their Teflon Don

Then we should have skated too, it looks like we were the last of the "Big Boys" to fall to the NCAA

while everyone else is giving them the middle finger like their Teflon Don
We're not in the to big too fail echelon. We're like Martha Stewart, a good size to make an example of.

Here's my take. There are few places to go that are higher on the mountain than Syracuse. Is SU the top of the heap, no certainly, but they are a great combination of upper echelon and low pressure. A coach like Dino can make a forever mark on a program like Syracuse, is still in a Top 3 conference, and still has a very clear path to a national championship. On top of that, he has very low pressure to win big. At the top tier schools, 8 or 9 wins gets fired. Syracuse is about ready to build a statue of Dino after two 4-8's and one 8+.

This year has been incredibly enlightening as to our good position though. Look at what has transpired: We have 8 wins and have only beaten 1 ranked team and yet we are within striking distance of the playoff Top 10. That is incredible. There are very few places you can have that and also have such a forgiving fanbase and administration. A couple more plays against Clemson and we are possibly in the playoff picture right now. And we still get a shot a programs like ND. It is a perfect situation for a coach like Dino.

On the downside is the relatively low pay and the relatively pedestrian facilities as compared to the top places. But baring some sort of non-football motivation, it is hard to see Dino going anyplace but a handful of very elite schools - and at those places, the perks come with very high risk and very high personal cost.

Just keep rooting for usc to finish season well
I'm more worried about Kansas at this point. Everything Long said in that article was like it was meant for Dino. The Kansas people know that with this next phase of realignment coming, if they don't have a viable football program, they will be out in the cold. If their looking at Miles, their ready to throw down a hundred million for a coach and his staff.

I'm more worried about Kansas at this point. Everything Long said in that article was like it was meant for Dino. The Kansas people know that with this next phase of realignment coming, if they don't have a viable football program, they will be out in the cold. If their looking at Miles, their ready to throw down a hundred million for a coach and his staff.

You never know but I’m not seeing it. The thing about USC is their recruiting base, the $, it’s in LA where Dino has spent a lot of time and is from more or less and their road to a national championship is easier really, PAC 12 not all that strong right now. Dino would crush recruiting In California.

You never know but I’m not seeing it. The thing about USC is their recruiting base, the $, it’s in LA where Dino has spent a lot of time and is from more or less and their road to a national championship is easier really, PAC 12 not all that strong right now. Dino would crush recruiting In California.
Did you read that article? Their done playing around with their football program.

I’m not worried at all and from this point forward will ignore all threads on Dino leaving. Just watch his presser from last nigh. Either he’s sincere or the greatest BS-er ever.

I’m not worried at all and from this point forward will ignore all threads on Dino leaving. Just watch his presser from last nigh. Either he’s sincere or the greatest BS-er ever.
Would you begrudge him if somebody offered him the motherlode and he took it? I wouldn't.

Nope. I firmly believe wildhack will not let him leave over money. If he leaves it will be for other reasons things that no one can control
I hope he stays. But we're talking about people who will be stupid with money.

I hope he stays. But we're talking about people who will be stupid with money.
I believe we will be stupid if we have to. Sadly we have the template of what not to do with coaching hires and living (in real time) the formula of what to do. I believe SU will do whatever it takes to keep him.

Would you begrudge him if somebody offered him the motherlode and he took it? I wouldn't.
A million dollars goes a lot further in Syracuse than it does in LA.

Of course, money isn't everything; but that's what you're focusing on in this thread.

A million dollars goes a lot further in Syracuse than it does in LA.

Of course, money isn't everything; but that's what you're focusing on in this thread.
His agent is aware of that fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom