Will Bazely Get Drafted? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will Bazely Get Drafted?

He could very well have been a lottery pick if he took the normal route. He was going to be starting and be a featured player on offense. Whoever got in this guys head and put him in this spot should be ashamed of themselves. Hope for the best for the young guy but his path is full of pitfalls.

His decision has McCullough written all over it.

I think you’re missing the point. He’s restricted as a college athlete. As a pro he’s free to take cash from any source he wants: agents, shoe companies, endorsements, appearance fees, etc. Can’t do any of that in college. Kid obviously didn’t want to be a poor college kid under the thumb of the NCAA.

How many endorsements and shoe deals is he going to get playing on ESPN 8 The Ocho?

It's amazing how bad this kid is after two days ago.

What's funny is, guys rated lower than Baz used to come out of high school when there was no rule all the time, now not only is this kid dumb, but he's not very good and will end up working at Target.

He has a lot of potential to tank his stock if he performs poorly. His camp did him a disservice. He was going to start from scratch at the college level because people are quicker and stronger. Now he's heading right into the pros where some of the best guys who can't get into the league are waiting. He'll have one hell of an adjustment period. It isn't just his lack of strength that is going to be a work in progress.

It's amazing how bad this kid is after two days ago.

What's funny is, guys rated lower than Baz used to come out of high school when there was no rule all the time, now not only is this kid dumb, but he's not very good and will end up working at Target.

You can search my post history and see where I told people they need to relax with the hyperbole. He's not Carmelo. He's not the athlete Donte Greene was. He was a highly rated recruit that would have been an excellent complementary piece to the zone. Being a McDonald's All American doesn't mean you're a pro anymore. We've seen a number of McD AAs flop at the college level or be outright busts in the NBA.

Except McCullough left legitimately after a year here. He didn't break a contract and not give JB time to get a recruit to replace him. He didn't set a precedent.

Except McCullough left legitimately after a year here. He didn't break a contract and not give JB time to get a recruit to replace him. He didn't set a precedent.
Time to get a comparable recruit to replace him

Yeah, wasn't he supposed to be really good? At least he got NBA money. Bazley could end up with just some sneaker money and a loan from an agent.

Sneaker companies sponsor players who are on television and give them more exposure. Unless ESPN or CBS sports have a massive upcoming TV deal with the g league, I can't see that being a solid business move.

I agree...I think the NBA wants the G league to be relevant, and right now it’s really no more then a pool of injury roster fill-ins. I think they want it viewed as more of a developmental league than it actually is.

When it comes to DB in particular, if he doesn’t do well there will be a large sample size of him against players who are closer to NBA level talent than he would face in college. Teams are going to know exactly what they’re getting when/if they draft him. Could be a homerun move, or it could really sink him.

He’s a 17 year old kid.

Its not ridiculous he thinks he’s mature enough to make this decision.

It is ridiculous that we expect him to be mature enough to conceptualize the consequence of his actions.

It is ridiculous that people who care about him encouraged or supported him doing this in this matter.

It is ridiculous that the system in place allowed someone to convince or encourage him that this is smart, let alone mature

Adidas FBI fallout must have freed up a whole bunch of extra cash.
Agreed, I don't think it's a coincidence that Baz made this decision on the heels of all that.

Every "objective" long term view?

Let's see...he can start learning pro-style offense and defensive rotations playing with and against players who are all good enough to be competing to make an NBA roster. And he can do so with NBA level resources and without any NCAA restrictions on practice time, benefits, endorsements or income.
Or he could be wasting his time riding a bus to Sioux Falls, making $26k, playing against a bunch of 6’10 280 pound 24 year olds knocking him on his ass for the fun of it, in relative obscurity with coaches not good enough to get paid by a major college.

I don’t his family’s current financial situation.

But all I can picture is some greasy slimeball agent with a carrot on a stick and some 45% cut. Like a life insurance salesman trying to sell a whole life policy as a investment vehicle.

This is different , but might be seen as a pioneer . I see both sides . The part of going to college that there these 1 and dones don't factor in is the PLATFORM that mayor D1 hoops gives you. Playing on tv bc of the name and on and on. That said, he thinks he will become a better pro, quicker in the G league. It's a weird thing . He wull play in front on hundreds instead of 20k, make 26k, and if he plays G and develops for 1 team, will be allowed to sign with anyone after another team developed him. Weird. .

This is different , but might be seen as a pioneer . I see both sides . The part of going to college that there these 1 and dones don't factor in is the PLATFORM that mayor D1 hoops gives you. Playing on tv bc of the name and on and on. That said, he thinks he will become a better pro, quicker in the G league. It's a weird thing . He wull play in front on hundreds instead of 20k, make 26k, and if he plays G and develops for 1 team, will be allowed to sign with anyone after another team developed him. Weird. .
That's not how it works. He would enter the draft after that year.

Of course they care. It's in the NBA's best interest that consensus top 10 types like Bazley are successful. Bazley's success, or lack thereof, could profoundly influence how many other top kids jump straight to the G League in the years ahead.

Is It?

It isn’t in the NBAs interests for any one prospect to be successful, there will be 25 more each year.

If it were wouldn’t they create a system where he ends up with a team that has a vested interest in seeing him develop?

Unless he is such a big name that he will draw fans or is such a great player that he has a big impact on his team’s success I don’t see how this works out where the team that would be investing time and money in him loses their rights in him at the end of the season.

What is in it for that team?

Last edited:
I don’t his family’s current financial situation.

But all I can picture is some greasy slimeball agent with a carrot on a stick and some 45% cut. Like a life insurance salesman trying to sell a whole life policy as a investment vehicle.
When did Dave Ramsey start posting here?

After what year, playing where?

He will be eligible for the 2019 draft. Playing where?? Playing for whatever team drafts him.

Is It?

It isn’t in the NBAs interests for any one prospect to be successful, there will be 25 more each year.

If it were wouldn’t they create a system where he ends up with a team that has a vested interest in seeing him develop?

Unless he is such a big name that he will draw fans or is such a great player that he has a big impact on his team’s success I don’t see how this works out where the team that would be investing time and money in him loses their rights in him at the end of the season.

What is in it for that team?
How smart do people think Adam Silver is?

I think he's smart. Very smart. Scary smart.

Baz is going to get whatever he needs to be successful.

The door is open. Silver knows it.

Watch.

How smart do people think Adam Silver is?

I think he's smart. Very smart. Scary smart.

Baz is going to get whatever he needs to be successful.

The door is open. Silver knows it.

Watch.
Does it really matter if they go to the "straight to pro ball or 2/3 years in college model"? It seems inevitable. If that's Silvers end game, Bazley doesn't mean as much.

Only difference is under that scenario he'd be drafted by a team and they'd have vested interest in his development as opposed to now where some G-League program has to develop some random kid, quite possibly, for another organization to draft.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom