Will Duke be ranked #5 in today's polls? | Syracusefan.com

Will Duke be ranked #5 in today's polls?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
With SDSU, Nova and Kansas all losing this week, it would seem likely that Duke jumps to #5. That's going to set up one hell of a rematch on Saturday.

Does UVA crack the top 10 this week?

With SDSU, Nova and Kansas all losing this week, it would seem likely that Duke jumps to #5. That's going to set up one hell of a rematch on Saturday.

Does UVA crack the top 10 this week?

I would have to say yes to Duke. I think Virginia gets close

1) SU
2) Florida
3) WSU
4) Arizona
5) Duke

I wonder if Creighton will jump 8 spots to get the top 10.

ESPN has be salivating; #1 and undefeated Syracuse vs. #5 Duke at Cameron. They literally couldn't have asked for anything better. (as long as Duke doesn't lose this week before our game)

ESPN has be salivating; #1 and undefeated Syracuse vs. #5 Duke at Cameron. They literally couldn't have asked for anything better. (as long as Duke doesn't lose this week before our game)
Actually, I think the only concern for ESPN is that Cuse not lose on Wednesday. The rankings won't change by Saturday night, so it will be #1 vs # 5 no matter what -- but they'll definitely want SU's undefeated mark to be on the line.

I also wonder if the 'Ville will jump 7 spots to #6. They have looked strong lately

OrangeYaGladi said:
Actually, I think the only concern for ESPN is that Cuse not lose on Wednesday. The rankings won't change by Saturday night, so it will be #1 vs # 5 no matter what -- but they'll definitely want SU's undefeated mark to be on the line.

Exactly. Duke could lost both games this week (they play tues and thurs), but as long as we're undefeated going into Cameron it will be huge.

Exactly. Duke could lost both games this week (they play tues and thurs), but as long as we're undefeated going into Cameron it will be huge.

Hopefully UNC gives them a test on Thursday and tires them out for Saturday. Tired legs mean less 3's.

Remember, we have a game in between, too, to a team that gave us a very tough game. Plus, we have not been playing sharp, and Keita won't be recovered. If we aren't playing well, home court may not be an advantage.

Boy, I tell you what it is going to be interesting to see what adjustments Coach K makes in our game. Will he continue to have them shoot such a high volume of 3's or will he take last games results as evidence that they need to shoot fewer shots from the perimeter? One could argue that if 15 three's was not enough to beat us then you need a new strategy. One could also argue that the odds of us scoring 90 points again is very low, especially on the road. Our offense has looked very poor since the last Duke game. Of course I think it is reasonable to assume we will play our best game in a while against them, just like we did last time. This one will be a doozy!

I think they are gonna shoot a ton of 3's again. They took 36 of their 72 shots from 3, so exactly half. On the season, 42.3% of the shots we give up are 3's, and 39.9% of the shots they take are 3's. Scanning the pbp, they took 11 shots after Parker fouled out, 7 3's. So working backward, before he fouled out, they took 61 shots, 29 of them being 3's, a shade under 48%. That might be on the high side for Saturday, but I bet it's somewhere around 45%.

Each team scored right about 1.3 points per possession in that game; seems unlikely to happen again.

Boy, I tell you what it is going to be interesting to see what adjustments Coach K makes in our game. Will he continue to have them shoot such a high volume of 3's or will he take last games results as evidence that they need to shoot fewer shots from the perimeter? One could argue that if 15 three's was not enough to beat us then you need a new strategy. One could also argue that the odds of us scoring 90 points again is very low, especially on the road. Our offense has looked very poor since the last Duke game. Of course I think it is reasonable to assume we will play our best game in a while against them, just like we did last time. This one will be a doozy!
Our offense wasnt exactly lighting it up before Duke either.

Duke seems to be the only team we play that isnt crazy high on the defensive efficiency rankings. Between tough defenses and stall ball, our offense is probably looking worse than it actually is against some of these teams.

Aside from State, our offense has been doing just fine, though the low pace is masking that a bit. Second in conference games in offensive efficiency.

It's really strange to see an elite team like Duke be so bad on one side of the ball. (They are 77th in defensive efficiency)

Aside from State, our offense has been doing just fine, though the low pace is masking that a bit. Second in conference games in offensive efficiency.

It's really strange to see an elite team like Duke be so bad on one side of the ball. (They are 77th in defensive efficiency)

It is weird and most of the top teams are like that this year. L'ville & Florida are about the only teams besides us good on both ends. And maybe Nova when they're not playing Creighton.

in this weeks top 10 teams. duke and kansas combine for 11 losses. the other 8 teams combine for a total of 14. there's your blue blood bias.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom