Will Dungey play Saturday | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Will Dungey play Saturday

I'm trying to remember the plays where Dungey got hurt such that he's 0 for 3 in finishing seasons.

In 2015 it was the Louisville game, down 10-41 with about 7 minutes left. We got a turnover and Lester claimed that Mahoney hadn't had time to warm up, (Shafer said he still thought we had a chance to win). As i recall it was a scramble, not a designed run.

In 2016 against Clemson, it looked like a designed run but Babers said on his show this year that a hand off was missed and Eric followed the running back into the line, trying to make something of the play.

This year, I think it was on the interception that ended the first drive. If my recollections are right, none of his season-ending injuries have come on designed running plays

Edit: Bud Poliquin just said that the injury vs. Florida State was on an option play. That would be the 2 yard run from this play-by-play:

1st and 10 at SU25 Dungey, E. at QB for Syracuse.
1st and 10 at SU25 Philips, E. rush EL for loss of 1 yard to the SU24 (Taylor, L), clock 14:40.
2nd and 11 at SU24 Dungey, E. slant pass complete to Philips, E. for 6 yards to the SU30 (Meyers, K), clock 14:16.
3rd and 5 at SU30 Dungey, E. slant pass complete to Philips, E. for 9 yards to the SU39, 1ST DOWN SU, clock 13:58.
1st and 10 at SU39 Dungey, E. rush quarterback draw for 2 yards to the SU41 (Sweat, J), clock 13:43.
2nd and 8 at SU41 Strickland, D. rush over right tackle for no gain to the SU41 (Nnadi, D), clock 13:05.
3rd and 8 at SU41 Dungey, E. sideline pass intercepted by James, D at the FS47, James, D return 0 yards to the FS47.

Last edited:
Good news if Dungey goes down next year hopefuly he does not, but we will much better equipped with devito being active next year. Need to figure out how to fix this defense, should be the number 1 concern this offseason.

Everyone is overreacting about the defense. We are just razor thin at too many positions and the injuries piled up. We didn't somehow go from a solid defense to one of the worst overnight for no damn reason. Just like we saw improvement from last year to this year, we will see the same next year. Not just on D but on O as well.

He's got a 3-4 week sprain. Tough to get 100% healthy in 3 weeks.

He'd be playing in the bowl.

is it a sprain or a broken toe? I have heard 4 diff injuries he's had so far (or both)

is it a sprain or a broken toe? I have heard 4 diff injuries he's had so far (or both)

IMO if it was broke, he wouldn't have been cleared to return against FSU.

I'm guessing sprained ligament.

Even if it was a toe, they heal in about a month.

This is going to be a fugly game. BC will put 6 in the box and dare us to pass every down. Our running game will not help. I think Rex has the better arm/touch from the limited sample we've seen. That's where I'd go which means Zack will start.

This is going to be a fugly game. BC will put 6 in the box and dare us to pass every down. Our running game will not help. I think Rex has the better arm/touch from the limited sample we've seen. That's where I'd go which means Zack will start.
Start ZM...Play RC in 2nd Q
Coach's decision who plays 2nd half
Tie goes to RC

Seeing ED jogging around pre-game the last couple weeks fooled me into thinking he is closer to healthy than he really is.
I’d like to see more of Rex on Saturday but I think Zach deserves the start in his last game ever.

If zach struggles let s see the kid Welch we saw zach already , Welch has experience let's see if he can play at the p5 level

If zach struggles let s see the kid Welch we saw zach already , Welch has experience let's see if he can play at the p5 level
I'd rather see Rex if Zack struggles. He took the team down the field and got the only TD against Louisville. I think he deserves the playing time.

If Eric can go at anything close to full capability, play him. Our chances of beating BC are exponentially better with our QB1 on the field and at any sign of discomfort sit him down. If nothing else the ability to state on the recruiting trail that our record improved despite a hellish schedule would certainly be a plus.
That being said I sense he is nowhere close to full health and expect to see Zach draw the start and Rex either stepping in or at least rotating in for a series or two.

Babers wouldn't bet on ED playing Saturday. I don't think there is any reason at all to run him out there. My questions is, if he wouldn't bet on him playing Saturday, why did it take him up to 14 min prior to the WF game to let Mahoney know he was starting (per Mahoney)? Either Mahoney knew, and that was the company line, or the kid was basically told just before kickoff, hey...it's your time. Which one is it? I really hope he knew all along, because to me that makes no sense.

Babers wouldn't bet on ED playing Saturday. I don't think there is any reason at all to run him out there. My questions is, if he wouldn't bet on him playing Saturday, why did it take him up to 14 min prior to the WF game to let Mahoney know he was starting (per Mahoney)? Either Mahoney knew, and that was the company line, or the kid was basically told just before kickoff, hey...it's your time. Which one is it? I really hope he knew all along, because to me that makes no sense.
Of course he knew all along.

Of course he knew all along.

I hope you're right, but the way he (Mahoney) recounted the story while being interviewed, I didn't really get that vibe.

I think it'd be ridiculous to even consider playing Dungey Saturday. Just get him as healthy as possible going into spring practice.

Now that Babers is listing Mahoney and Culpepper as equal 2nd string, I'd play Culpepper the lions share of the snaps. I agree with most that RC needs time under center. Give Mahoney at least a series early. If he's got the offense rolling, let him stay in. After all, you want to win the game.

From a QB pass protection standpoint, I hope Strickland is healthy enough to play.

Beyond what it says on the injury report, I'm wondering how banged up our starters really are. However, you can likely say the same for BC's too.

I haven’t read through all of the Dungey threads, so pardon me if this was brought up already: why did ED make the trip to Louisville if it was already decided that he would not play?

It's a toss-up. Tails he plays...

Attachments

• IMG_3864.JPG
    IMG_3864.JPG
    362.7 KB · Views: 22
I haven’t read through all of the Dungey threads, so pardon me if this was brought up already: why did ED make the trip to Louisville if it was already decided that he would not play?
My guess is simply because he is the nucleus and a leader for the team.

I think it'd be ridiculous to even consider playing Dungey Saturday. Just get him as healthy as possible going into spring practice.
If his toe can be protected he should play. It's a league game against a long-time rival. Not to mention it would take the "can't finish a season" monkey off his back.

If his toe can be protected he should play. It's a league game against a long-time rival. Not to mention it would take the "can't finish a season" monkey off his back.
Who said it was just his toe? You don't wear a brace on your leg for a toe injury.

im guessing he has a sprained mcl or other ligament in his knee in addition to the toe and its t that has kept him out of games the last 2 weeks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom