Will McNabb reach the Pro Football Hall of Fame? | Syracusefan.com

Will McNabb reach the Pro Football Hall of Fame?

How did this thread receive nothing but crickets????

Where the hell is the DMC fan club??

Where the hell are the anti-Kaisers screaming for Ross' and Florio's head???

Fake fans.

Just like I called.

I'm the only one here damn proud and in awe of his career.

Idiots...

No brainer right?

I have an idea let's build a statue of him.

He absolutely should and we should all be rooting for him. The guy was amazing at cuse and then propelled Philly to the top of the league for many year running with a lackluster supporting cast. Yes he played a couple years too long and put his foot in his mouth while doing so, but what competitor wants to quit. He's also a genuinely great guy. I sure hope he makes it in. And he should definitely get significantly more respect on here than he does, it's mindblowing to me why some people are so negative on the guy, he's certainly one of the very best ever to play at Syracuse.

He absolutely should and we should all be rooting for him. The guy was amazing at cuse and then propelled Philly to the top of the league for many year running with a lackluster supporting cast. Yes he played a couple years too long and put his foot in his mouth while doing so, but what competitor wants to quit. He's also a genuinely great guy. I sure hope he makes it in. And he should definitely get significantly more respect on here than he does, it's mindblowing to me why some people are so negative on the guy, he's certainly one of the very best ever to play at Syracuse.

They think they're being edgy.

How did this thread receive nothing but crickets????

Where the hell is the DMC fan club??

Where the hell are the anti-Kaisers screaming for Ross' and Florio's head???

Fake fans.

Just like I called.

I'm the only one here damn proud and in awe of his career.

Idiots...

He is, without question, the greatest QB in Eagles history. The fact that this next sentence says he still shouldn't make the hall of fame says a lot about Eagles history.

He can buy a ticket to the hall of fame like every other player not good enough to get in.

He didn't have close to a Hall of Fame career.

Stern said:
He can buy a ticket to the hall of fame like every other player not good enough to get in. He didn't have close to a Hall of Fame career.

Is there any SU player you have something good to say about? Last week was Nassib, this week it's McNabb. Those are just the two latest.

Last edited:
Stern said:
He can buy a ticket to the hall of fame like every other player not good enough to get in. He didn't have close to a Hall of Fame career.

The fact that it's talked about by the media at all means he is "close."

Yes, he will. His success ushered in the new era of dual threat QBs in the NFL and he is one of the best ever in that category. He played most of his career with little surrounding talent, and was largely responsible for elevating a team going nowhere to a consistent threat to make the Super Bowl.

Not many players have changed the way football is played in the NFL as much as McNabb. That will ultimately be his legacy.

I'm rooting for Don to make it and if he ever had some talented receivers at Philly this would have been a complete no brainer. Should make the college Hall of Fame as well.

Coming soon from stern...

Jim Brown only threw 3 TDs in his career.

Failure.
Who slipped something into your drink? You make Stern look like Dome Eddie when it comes to Cuse fandom

Like Tom said, who has done more with less talent surrounding him? Most QBs have good to great receivers and a solid running game, McNabb was the running game and half of us (or even half of Philly) would have made better receivers than the crews that played with him.

T.O. was a terrible receiver as he could not be counted on game to game, sometimes play to play. He was a great talent that was wasted on a two-year-old temperament.

His numbers are CERTAINLY good enough (they're almost identical to Jim Kelly's, only with, obviously, vastly superior rushing numbers). He was certainly successful enough, despite only getting to one Super Bowl.

Personally, I think he'll make it. It may take a few extra years, but I think he's in.

I'm on the 50/50 side.

hes lower on the wait list than Phil Simms & Ken Stabler and probably Ken Anderson & Boomer Esiason too, if you ask me. and soon guys like Drew Bledsoe will be up for consideration.

he had a phenominal career getting one of the highest honors anyone could ask for, getting his jersey retired by a professional football team. congrats.

his Syracuse career was incredible too, not sure if he can make the CF HOF, but that would be nice.

the only way he gets in the Pro Football HOF is if he embraces the one thing he constantly 'ran' from...being a black QB. if the race card gets played, it doesnt even have to come from him...guys like him and mcnair could get in. people much smarter than i will have to make that decision,.

i would be happy if he got in, but im not expecting it.

McNabb is my single favorite athlete in Syracuse sports history, but I think he belongs in the first group of quarterbacks outside the Hall of Fame, with guys like Cunningham, Simms, Esiason, Stabler, Ken Anderson, etc. And that's absolutely nothing to be ashamed of.

Edit: Holy crap, did I just unintentionally rattle off basically the same exact names as Kaiser did?

My father (actually a whole lot of my family) went to SU, my parents are from Cicero. I grew up going to Cuse games... I was 11 when McNabb got drafted... and because no one in my family cared about the NFL i had no allegiances (I need a quick disclaimer to explain how someone for Saratoga, NY is an Eagle fan and not a Bills, Pats, Giants or Jets Fan).
When the Eagles took McNabb I went out and got a jersey and have been a birds fan ever since.
As someone who has been watching SU since the early 1990's (although my family has me well versed on SU history).. McNabb is by far my favorite SU player (Freeney is a long 2nd). QB draws… options where he would fake the pitch… freeze option with a pass… flea flickers and the great scrambles. Ahhhh Yes… the great scrambles.
McNabb was a Syracuse great… Can’t even put into words the memories… I was at the Va Tech game… roll right throw left.
BUT he isn’t a Hall of Famer… he was a good NFL QB. Nothing more, nothing less. People say he never had a supporting cast (James TRASH and Todd STINKSTON)… which is true with the exception of getting TO late in his career. But McNabb did have a GREAT defense behind him… Hugh Douglas, Brian Dawkins, Jeremiah Trotter etc..I think his stats were also inflated by Andy Reid’s pass happy schemes… 300 yards passing every game isn’t hard when you throw 70% of the time… including little screens to Westbrook that would go for big yardage.

He just couldn't win the big games.. and I don't just mean the Superbowl what was he 1-3 in NFC championships?
Bottom line.. Great college player.. good pro.. not hall of famer… and that is from one of his biggest fans.

My father (actually a whole lot of my family) went to SU, my parents are from Cicero. I grew up going to Cuse games... I was 11 when McNabb got drafted... and because no one in my family cared about the NFL i had no allegiances (I need a quick disclaimer to explain how someone for Saratoga, NY is an Eagle fan and not a Bills, Pats, Giants or Jets Fan).
When the Eagles took McNabb I went out and got a jersey and have been a birds fan ever since.
As someone who has been watching SU since the early 1990's (although my family has me well versed on SU history).. McNabb is by far my favorite SU player (Freeney is a long 2nd). QB draws… options where he would fake the pitch… freeze option with a pass… flea flickers and the great scrambles. Ahhhh Yes… the great scrambles.
McNabb was a Syracuse great… Can’t even put into words the memories… I was at the Va Tech game… roll right throw left.
BUT he isn’t a Hall of Famer… he was a good NFL QB. Nothing more, nothing less. People say he never had a supporting cast (James TRASH and Todd STINKSTON)… which is true with the exception of getting TO late in his career. But McNabb did have a GREAT defense behind him… Hugh Douglas, Brian Dawkins, Jeremiah Trotter etc..I think his stats were also inflated by Andy Reid’s pass happy schemes… 300 yards passing every game isn’t hard when you throw 70% of the time… including little screens to Westbrook that would go for big yardage.

He just couldn't win the big games.. and I don't just mean the Superbowl what was he 1-3 in NFC championships?
Bottom line.. Great college player.. good pro.. not hall of famer… and that is from one of his biggest fans.
I started my own post but realized that you said it so much better than I was saying it. But note that my oldest son, born in 1997, is named Donovan. (My wife shot down using McNabb as the middle name though I argued it was a fine Irish middle name!) She still claims he is not named after McNabb but then it must be a complete coincidence that SU's 2 best players then were named Donovan and Donovin, just saying.

I started my own post but realized that you said it so much better than I was saying it. But note that my oldest son, born in 1997, is named Donovan. (My wife shot down using McNabb as the middle name though I argued it was a fine Irish middle name!) She still claims he is not named after McNabb but then it must be a complete coincidence that SU's 2 best players then were named Donovan and Donovin, just saying.

HA!

I was born in November of 1987 (SU was deep into their undefeated season)... flowers were sent to the hospital from my dads work friends.. "Congrats on the birth of McPherson Brondi"... (Brondi is my last name)

They thought about calling me "Mac" but ultimately mom put the cabboge on that

He's definitely borderline, but he does have some things in his favor.

1.) He's one of 4 players to have 30,000 passing yards, 200 TD passes, 3,000 rushing yards and 20 rushing TDs. The other players are John Elway, Steve Young and Fran Tarkenton.

2.) Became the first player in NFL history to finish a season with 30+ TD passes (31) and fewer than 10 INTs (8) in 2004.

The player that you can best compare him with is Jim Kelly.

-Kelly-
11 year career
101-59 record as a starter
9-8 playoff record as a starter
35,467 passing yards
237 - 175 TDs to INTs
1,049 rushing yards
7 rushing TDs
29 Game Winning Drives

-McNabb-
11 year career
98-62-1 record as a starter