Will the bench expand? | Syracusefan.com

Will the bench expand?

Cuse House

All American
I think Frank has shown he deserves minutes. We all can see it, so JB must. DC has been exceeding expectations of late which is great for him and the team. Also, how about Chino? Very excited for him. He has the potential for 5 minutes a game, he honestly can defend and rebound pretty well. Great effort by the team, I can't say enough about Roberson of late, he has been superb.

Don't think so. I think it's a 6.5 man rotation rest of the season. Would be great if Howard turned into a "full" 7th.

Would set the line for Howard minutes @ Duke for 9
Doubt Joseph or Chino play barring blowout or foul trouble.

It's good to know that Chino can come in and eat up fouls when needed, but nothing will change with him. He only comes in when DC/TL are in serious foul trouble.

Don't think so. I think it's a 6.5 man rotation rest of the season. Would be great if Howard turned into a "full" 7th.

Would set the line for Howard minutes @ Duke for 9
Doubt Joseph or Chino play barring blowout or foul trouble.
I see no reason why Howard can't get some more run. He is by far the best point guard we have. Whenever he is in there we have a better flow to the offense, and he is a creative passer. He makes some bonehead passes now and again but that is to be expected.

foul trouble can be the kiss of death to the short bench strategy. doesn't matter if you think the kids can play 40 if they're on the bench saddled with 4 fouls.

I see no reason why Howard can't get some more run. He is by far the best point guard we have. Whenever he is in there we have a better flow to the offense, and he is a creative passer. He makes some bonehead passes now and again but that is to be expected.

I only recall (I'm sure there were more) one time where I thought he made the wrong pass, or missed something obvious. Kid seems to see the court well and have a good feel for passing - great sign.

Frank has such a calming influence on the game (at least on offense) I'm actually more confident when he's dribbling on top of the perimeter. Almost all of our elite guards sans Ennis over the years have had erratic tendencies, we might finally have a really steady guard at the point who's only an 18 yo freshman.

Frank has such a calming influence on the game (at least on offense) I'm actually more confident when he's dribbling on top of the perimeter. Almost all of our elite guards sans Ennis over the years have had erratic tendencies, we might finally have a really steady guard at the point who's only an 18 yo freshman.
Agreed, I love his game.

I think Frank has shown he deserves minutes. We all can see it, so JB must. DC has been exceeding expectations of late which is great for him and the team. Also, how about Chino? Very excited for him. He has the potential for 5 minutes a game, he honestly can defend and rebound pretty well. Great effort by the team, I can't say enough about Roberson of late, he has been superb.
The nice thing about Roberson's effort the last few games is that he's been a complete player. Not only did he do his usual damage on the offensive glass today, he did it against a big team on the road .. AND he took and made some jump shots when they were there. Very balanced game by him today and Wake had no answers.

Inside, I would like to see more of Obokoh and less of Tyler in the middle. Chino's serviceable down there .. even if he picks up fouls like a magnet (the crew that officiated the Wake game called just about everything on everyone). If Chino can give us even 10 minutes ... that's valuable time since DC's logging more minutes. With Chino in the middle, Lydon can come in either for Roberson or for Malachi and we don't lose much -- Richardson can slide to the 2 to give TC a blow, or the guards can rotate another way. The point is, Chino gives our best players a badly-needed rest as the season stretches on.

Great effort today. Wake had a terrible game, but still has a bright future the way Manning recruits bigs. They have 2 7-footers and 2 6'10 guys to complement Thomas -- and Doral Moore's going to be a monster.

The nice thing about Roberson's effort the last few games is that he's been a complete player. Not only did he do his usual damage on the offensive glass today, he did it against a big team on the road .. AND he took and made some jump shots when they were there. Very balanced game by him today and Wake had no answers.

Inside, I would like to see more of Obokoh and less of Tyler in the middle. Chino's serviceable down there .. even if he picks up fouls like a magnet (the crew that officiated the Wake game called just about everything on everyone). If Chino can give us even 10 minutes ... that's valuable time since DC's logging more minutes. With Chino in the middle, Lydon can come in either for Roberson or for Malachi and we don't lose much -- Richardson can slide to the 2 to give TC a blow, or the guards can rotate another way. The point is, Chino gives our best players a badly-needed rest as the season stretches on.

Great effort today. Wake had a terrible game, but still has a bright future the way Manning recruits bigs. They have 2 7-footers and 2 6'10 guys -- and Doral Moore's going to be a monster.
Good post!

i'd say players typically look better on the floor when you actually allow them to get into the flow of the game rather than yank them after a couple minutes.

Great effort today. Wake had a terrible game, but still has a bright future the way Manning recruits bigs. They have 2 7-footers and 2 6'10 guys to complement Thomas -- and Doral Moore's going to be a monster.

Thomas seems like a nutjob...When he eyeballed that ref for a few seconds in the second half I figured he was in trouble. Instead they immediately called a foul on Chino on the inbound, after Thomas just charged into him, I assume to placate him (soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo obviously not a foul on Chino).

I might fire that ref.

You can't really be afraid of the kids and do your job.

Thomas seems like a nutjob...When he eyeballed that ref for a few seconds in the second half I figured he was in trouble. Instead they immediately called a foul on Chino on the inbound, after Thomas just charged into him, I assume to placate him (soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo obviously not a foul on Chino).

I might fire that ref.

You can't really be afraid of the kids and do your job.
Yah the refs didn't decide the game, but they sure tried to run it into the ground with fouls on everyone but the ball boy. The "foul" on Chino was a condolence gift.

solution

qd_pepper_spray.jpg

whistle and one warning

Last edited:
It's good to know that Chino can come in and eat up fouls when needed, but nothing will change with him. He only comes in when DC/TL are in serious foul trouble.
That's OK since DC/TL will be in foul trouble often. Opposing coaches will frequently try to drive the ball low vs. us this season. It would be great if Chino could get a few put-back scores on offensive rebounds, and maybe draw a few fouls on the opponents as well.

The refs are so bad during our games. It just happens over and over and over. They did ok the second half I thought though.

However in the first half...

Robersons first two were not fouls he was straight up and down not over the back, Dajuans first foul he broke up a lob ally oop attempt knocking the ball thats not a foul thats saving a dunk. His third was also not a foul he moved like one inch and it wasn't into the body nor a blocking as the guy didn't go into him.

The one play where lydon got slammped on the forearm 40 feet from the basket and then they called a over the back lmao. How the H#ll do you not call that a reach in and if you think he stripped the ball then we lost possession so it can't be a over and back.

Two plays Malachi Drove the first half and got hit/bodied on the drive one he was holding his left elbow, meanwhile Lydons second in the first half was a barely breath on them.

There was another play or two where the guy obstructed view whistled and shouldn't have. I know one was where gbinije had a clean reach in and hit the ball around midcourt early in the first, another was us playing defense in the second half. I think it was on dajuan maybe.

They will call little touchfouls with minimal contact not even on a drive inside on us meanwhile opponents will body hand check and ride into our body on drives and 4o feet from the basket its a really. big issue.

I felt the same way against UNC, but didn't see it posted anywhere. Try envisioning them wearing opposing jerseys its very therapeutic, you would be surprised it starts to make sense if you try it. I like to make sense of things when watching basketball.

Last edited:

And he's a guy still bouncing back from a major knee surgery. Howard played off the ball too, until his senior year in high school, where he played a mix of the 1 and the 2. He's just learning how to play point guard. I'd like him to put on a few pounds and also develop a floater or baby hook, ala Josh Pace. He gets in the lane a lot, so if he added a short jumper or floater, he could be much more effective.

I think he ll be a valuable contributor for a four year system guy here. We need him next year too to give us good minutes at the point. He has tremendous potential. Frankie needs to bring it on defense.

The refs are so bad during our games. It just happens over and over and over. They did ok the second half I thought though.

However in the first half...

Robersons first two were not fouls he was straight up and down not over the back, Dajuans first foul he broke up a lob ally oop attempt knocking the ball thats not a foul thats saving a dunk. His third was also not a foul he moved like one inch and it wasn't into the body nor a blocking as the guy didn't go into him.

The one play where lydon got slammped on the forearm 40 feet from the basket and then they called a over the back lmao. How the H#ll do you not call that a reach in and if you think he stripped the ball then we lost possession so it can't be a over and back.

Two plays Malachi Drove the first half and got hit/bodied on the drive one he was holding his left elbow, meanwhile Lydons second in the first half was a barely breath on them.

There was another play or two where the guy obstructed view whistled and shouldn't have. I know one was where gbinije had a clean reach in and hit the ball around midcourt early in the first, another was us playing defense in the second half. I think it was on dajuan maybe.

They will call little to no touchfouls with minimal contact not even on a drive inside on us meanwhile opponents will body hand check and ride into our body on drives and 4o feet from the basket its a really. big issue.

I felt the same way against UNC, but didn't see it posted anywhere. Try envisioning them wearing opposing jerseys its very therapeutic, you would be surprised it starts to make sense if you try it. I like to make sense of things when watching basketball.
The 4th foul on Dajuan was not even close - an unbelievable phantom foul! Even the refs couldn't get Wake back in the game.

And he's a guy still bouncing back from a major knee surgery. Howard played off the ball too, until his senior year in high school, where he played a mix of the 1 and the 2. He's just learning how to play point guard. I'd like him to put on a few pounds and also develop a floater or baby hook, ala Josh Pace. He gets in the lane a lot, so if he added a short jumper or floater, he could be much more effective.

I think he ll be a valuable contributor for a four year system guy here. We need him next year too to give us good minutes at the point. He has tremendous potential. Frankie needs to bring it on defense.

Agreed. He looked really natural at the point though for a guy who hasn't played the position for long. Having a 4-year guy like him is tremendous.

This is a weird team and weird season so whatever happens, happens.

Next season though, if we have Malachi, Lydon and Coleman all back, Chukwu eligible and Moyer and Battle are ready to go we need to go a legitimate 8 deep and leverage our bench as a strength for once.

Agreed. He looked really natural at the point though for a guy who hasn't played the position for long. Having a 4-year guy like him is tremendous.

...and a novelty in this era of one and done. I actually think his ceiling is a longer, more athletic version of 2003 Billy Edelin. He plays with Edelin's vision and control.

Howard should get more floor time. I was frustrated with him though, at times. He repeatedly missed the pick and pop with Lydon. Once Lydon was about as wide open as he could be and Howard through the ball away, trying to do something that wasn't there. He's got a lot to learn but he's been pretty steady and the guards could use a rest, now and then.

Howard should get more floor time. I was frustrated with him though, at times. He repeatedly missed the pick and pop with Lydon. Once Lydon was about as wide open as he could be and Howard through the ball away, trying to do something that wasn't there. He's got a lot to learn but he's been pretty steady and the guards could use a rest, now and then.
Howard looked solid again - but I'd like to see him take it the hole more often and at least pick up some fouls if not score.

Howard looked solid again - but I'd like to see him take it the hole more often and at least pick up some fouls if not score.

I agree. He needs to get stronger as well and maybe he will be more confident to take it strong and draw contact.

...and a novelty in this era of one and done. I actually think his ceiling is a longer, more athletic version of 2003 Billy Edelin. He plays with Edelin's vision and control.
Edelin was a master of disguise with a full bag of tricks; change of pace, misdirection, floater, etc, and he could take contact when goig to the hoop. Howard has a long way to go to be even in the same sentence as Edelin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom