Wilson in the new O | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Wilson in the new O

Pretty snarky. Remember he is one of our guys.

Yes, he's one of our guys. Who has made a poor decision or thrown a pick for every good play he's made.
I'm not rooting against him - I'm just being realistic, based on his career to date.

I'd love to be proven wrong, and find that he excells in this new system.
But from what he's done in the past, it seems like the odds are against it.

Dungey (if healthy, which I'll assume he will be) is the prohibitive favorite for QB1, with Lindsey and Rex duking it out for 2 & 3.
IF the staff wants to try to redshirt one of both of the Frosh, THEN that would be Wilson's best chance for non-clipboard action next year.

I don't think we have to worry about Dungey. I hear he loves the new staff.

I'm sure you are right CL but I also know when a kid goes home for the first time after being away for 5 months and a having a pretty far distance away...things happen. That said, it would be pretty exciting to be a QB in this system and as you said, Dungey recognizes that. You've helped me feel 44% better about the situation though by writing that, thanks!

I'm sure you are right CL but I also know when a kid goes home for the first time after being away for 5 months and a having a pretty far distance away...things happen. That said, it would be pretty exciting to be a QB in this system and as you said, Dungey recognizes that. You've helped me feel 44% better about the situation though by writing that, thanks!
Also his Mom tweeted a pic of her new Orange gear for this year. Does that raise the percentage?

Yes, he's one of our guys. Who has made a poor decision or thrown a pick for every good play he's made.
I'm not rooting against him - I'm just being realistic, based on his career to date.

Dungey (if healthy, which I'll assume he will be) is the prohibitive favorite for QB1, with Lindsey and Rex duking it out for 2 & 3.
IF the staff wants to try to redshirt one of both of the Frosh, THEN that would be Wilson's best chance for non-clipboard action next year.
I think people might be selling Zach short. He improved significantly from game to game. Because of his work ethic, intelligence and coachability I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the mix for the backup role.

Also the only reason I commented on Wilson is because I had heard he might transfer. Not happening and the thought is this system is a better fit for him.

this system has a big difference in the read progressions, many more one read throw options and while wilson is not a great runner its far different to do designed runs then to do option runs

If you think Mahoney is not the most inaccurate OF OUR QB' there is not much to discuss.
Two coaches in two different systems made him backup and since he is no threat to run I guess they disagree with your analysis.
EDIT referring to Wilson's ability to run not Mahoney.
With an emphasis on pure accuracy I would say Mahoney is the most inaccurate, but with the combo of decision-making and inaccuracy it's definitely Wilson. The numbers that matter TD-INT: Austin Wilson 1-5, Zack Mahoney 7-2. There's a reason why I said almost though in my first message, because it can be argued based on completion percentage that Wilson is more accurate. But let's be completely honest, a quarterback's number 1 job is to protect the football and Wilson has made some very ill-advised throws in the small sample we've seen him in. And when you don't have the ability to extend plays with your legs, you end up having to be that much more accurate because there is no QB spy action coming from the defense.

Dino and staff have a pretty good record making effective QB's in this system, witness the backup for the Pats who, I believe, wasn't that highly recruited. Who knows what gems they can unearth from this roster? Its exciting times on the Hill for sure!!!

With an emphasis on pure accuracy I would say Mahoney is the most inaccurate, but with the combo of decision-making and inaccuracy it's definitely Wilson. The numbers that matter TD-INT: Austin Wilson 1-5, Zack Mahoney 7-2. There's a reason why I said almost though in my first message, because it can be argued based on completion percentage that Wilson is more accurate. But let's be completely honest, a quarterback's number 1 job is to protect the football and Wilson has made some very ill-advised throws in the small sample we've seen him in. And when you don't have the ability to extend plays with your legs, you end up having to be that much more accurate because there is no QB spy action coming from the defense.
You are all over the place. The topic was passing accuracy and on that basis Wilson is far better than Mahoney. No need to keep carping all over Wilson. The kid got hurt twice and played in a lousy system behind a line decimated by injury. Nobody knows how good he might be under better circumstances.

We will see soon enough.

Wilson has thrown exactly 58 passes in his career in parts of 7 gamee. 50 of those were as a RS freshman in McDonald's offense with a banged up line. He completed 32 of them for a respectable 55% for a young QB. He was hurt twice. How anyone can write off the QB with best arm (every coach has said it) is beyond me.
AJ and Hunt also threw many interception under the same conditions.

I suspect he will do good in Dino's offense as a Junior - he won't beat out Dungey but will probably be 2nd on the depth chart.

Crusty said:
You are all over the place. The topic was passing accuracy and on that basis Wilson is far better than Mahoney. No need to keep carping all over Wilson. The kid got hurt twice and played in a lousy system behind a line decimated by injury. Nobody knows how good he might be under better circumstances. We will see soon enough.

Disagree. Long played well enough in similar conditions. Dungey came in and jumped him - and I think it wasn't the weird option stuff - but reads, passing, and decision making under fire that separates him from Wilson.

If he gets a shot it will be because the system is easier read-wise and they've coached the bad decisions under duress out of him.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

Crusty said:
Wilson has thrown exactly 58 passes in his career in parts of 7 gamee. 50 of those were as a RS freshman in McDonald's offense with a banged up line. He completed 32 of them for a respectable 55% for a young QB. He was hurt twice. How anyone can write off the QB with best arm (every coach has said it) is beyond me. AJ and Hunt also threw many interception under the same conditions. I suspect he will do good in Dino's offense as a Junior - he won't beat out Dungey but will probably be 2nd on the depth chart.

Every coach wrote him off based on watching him in practice every day.

I hated what happened to Wilson this year. I mean, you're telling me that a staff thought that a QB who couldn't throw the ball at all offered up a better chance to win games against LSU, Clemson, NCSt, and BC, because he was more capable of running the ball than Wilson? That's what it really came down to: Lester's offense favored all this stupid motion and stuff, but to do it required putting a QB out there who stunk. Maybe, maybe, it would've had a chance had the defense been capable of keeping the opponent below 35 or so, but that didn't prove to be the case. With this year's team, they needed the ability to score 40 ppg, and there's no way Mahoney, Womack, or even Hunt, if we're being honest, was capable of doing that. But all three of them could run better than Wilson, so they got to play. I think that was just a terrible job of setting up the offense for the year. Hey, the "Baylor offense" works, but it took what, a Heisman trophy winner to show it? That is not what you had in the QBs who played for SU last year.

Kev

KevMonstah said:
I hated what happened to Wilson this year. I mean, you're telling me that a staff thought that a QB who couldn't throw the ball at all offered up a better chance to win games against LSU, Clemson, NCSt, and BC, because he was more capable of running the ball than Wilson? That's what it really came down to: Lester's offense favored all this stupid motion and stuff, but to do it required putting a QB out there who stunk. Maybe, maybe, it would've had a chance had the defense been capable of keeping the opponent below 35 or so, but that didn't prove to be the case. With this year's team, they needed the ability to score 40 ppg, and there's no way Mahoney, Womack, or even Hunt, if we're being honest, was capable of doing that. But all three of them could run better than Wilson, so they got to play. I think that was just a terrible job of setting up the offense for the year. Hey, the "Baylor offense" works, but it took what, a Heisman trophy winner to show it? That is not what you had in the QBs who played for SU last year. Kev

They thought running and throwing with Mahoney was better than Wilson throwing to the other team.

The Baylor offense + Dungey will be fine.

TheCusian said:
They thought running and throwing with Mahoney was better than Wilson throwing to the other team. The Baylor offense + Dungey will be fine.

For someone that strongly defended a coach, you sure post a lot bashing a player. Seems backwards.

rrlbees said:
For someone that strongly defended a coach, you sure post a lot bashing a player. Seems backwards.

I'm not bashing the player. The lack of confidence the coaches had in him is driving my opinion. If he gave us the best chance of winning in either years he wouldn't have been passed over by younger players.

My opinion is that he won't fair much better in the new system. I'm rooting for him and hope I'm wrong. I've always thought he throws a nice ball.