Winning with 60 or less | Syracusefan.com

Winning with 60 or less

DNABB5

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
I posed a question in another thread about how it seems this team is winning those low scoring game that have always given us trouble. So I went all SWC and just looked at the result I can see on ESPN to back to 2001.

60 is kind of arbitrary but here are the numbers when Syracuse scores 60 or less. Interestingly, the same teams come up on both sides. USF and Miami on the winners and UConn, Louisville and Pitt for losing efforts (Butler and Vermont are in there too)

2001-2002 = 0 - 4
2002-2003 = 1 - 1
2003-2004 = 2 - 2
2004-2005 = 1 - 3
2005-2006 = 1 - 3
2006-2007 = 0 - 2
2007-2008 = 0 - 1
2009-2009 = 1 - 2
2009-2010 = 0 - 2
2010-2011 = 1 - 1
prior total = 7 - 21
2011-2012 = 3 - 1*

So I feel that a 58-56 type game in the tourney will go our way this year, and I really have never felt that before.

Also, recently we won a 63-61 and a 64-61 (OT) game that just miss the cut.

Edited to add an asterisk for this years -1:p

I posed a question in another thread about how it seems this team is winning those low scoring game that have always given us trouble. So I went all SWC and just looked at the result I can see on ESPN to back to 2001.

60 is kind of arbitrary but here are the numbers when Syracuse scores 60 or less. Interestingly, the same teams come up on both sides. USF and Miami on the winners and UConn, Louisville and Pitt for losing efforts (Butler and Vermont are in there too)

2001-2002 = 0 - 4
2002-2003 = 1 - 1
2003-2004 = 2 - 2
2004-2005 = 1 - 3
2005-2006 = 1 - 3
2006-2007 = 0 - 2
2007-2008 = 0 - 1
2009-2009 = 1 - 2
2009-2010 = 0 - 2
2010-2011 = 1 - 1
prior total = 7 - 21
2011-2012 = 3 - 1

So I feel that a 58-56 type game in the tourney will go our way this year, and I really have never felt that before.

Good stuff dude.

i don't think you realize just how close that 3-1 is to 1-3. Literally a flip of the coin.

i don't think you realize just how close that 3-1 is to 1-3. Literally a flip of the coin.
In tightly contested defensive struggles, that's always going to be the case, though. The fact we've come out on top says something about our ability to make a stop or get points when it really counts.

Completely irrelevant. Rocco Mediate almost won the US Open. He didnt. Greg Norman almost won 5 green jackets. He didnt. Its about making plays to win these types of games. We have done that.

So were a lot of the losses in the other years. You are wrong anyway, had control of USF and Cinci late. Ville is the only one that is "flip of the coin"

LRR...:rolleyes:

It is kind of hard (rare) to blow out a team when you score in the 50s if you are playing against any decent caliber team!

So were a lot of the losses in the other years. You are wrong anyway, had control of USF and Cinci late. Ville is the only one that is "flip of the coin"

LRR...:rolleyes:

I'm talking WVa. which probably should have went OT... Georgetown which comes down to the last shot in OT... and Louisville went down to the last play. You're suggesting we have some kind of special moxie when it comes down to those last couple of possessions. Sometimes it's just luck.

People break down into two groups. When they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in group number two are looking at that 3-1 record in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation is a fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in group number one. When they see 3-1, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to bail them out. And that fills them with hope. So what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?

I'm talking WVa. which probably should have went OT... Georgetown which comes down to the last shot in OT... and Louisville went down to the last play. You're suggesting we have some kind of special moxie when it comes down to those last couple of possessions. Sometimes it's just luck.

Those games weren't included in the 3-1 that you tried to cleverly quote though were they?

And life has taught me that you make your own luck, and it that has nothing to do with being a bastion of curmudgeonicity in one's supposed favorite team's best season ever.

When it's 1-3 then you'd say its JB's fault. 3-1 it's a flip of the coin. Actually if you hold a team to 39% or less shooting it's almost a 2-1 advantage SU and that is only for a 1 possesion win. ie Louisville. Wins over USF and Cinn were by 6 and 7 then it is a much higher advantage SU because it would take multible possesions for them to win. So it is not "literally a flip of the coin" which is a 50-50 chance.

Yeah that is pretty much the definition of a close game. A game that could have gone either way.

That game was 63-61 so does not apply to the 60 or less argument.

One thing, games where the score is under 60 is not the same as a game where the difference is 3 pts or less.

Games where the score are 3 pts are less could be considered coin flips. Winning 56-48 is not exactly a coin flip.

Second thing, one thing going for us in coin flip games is Fab. When it's a one basket situation, taking it to the hoop is a good strategy. Fab makes taking the ball to the hoop a much more difficult proposition. That could easily be the difference between a NC and a sweet 16 season.

hahahahahaha

I love that you have an extended M. Night Shyamalan quote in your post. I love that that's what you think of as solid logic. So my two options when something positive happens is that it was either luck or a miracle? that is moronic. You have the reasoning of a child.

Sometimes it's just luck.

So Curtain...

You must then concede to "luck" then when no-name scrub X banks in a 29-footer with 2 seconds on the shot clock after 33 seconds of great defense. Of course this was also the 3rd possession because the previous two long shots also luckily caught the heel and caromed out to their guards.

Boy teams sure do get lucky against us sometimes.

You absolutely make your own luck, you cannot have your argument both ways.

So Curtain...

You must then concede to "luck" then when no-name scrub X banks in a 29-footer with 2 seconds on the shot clock after 33 seconds of great defense. Of course this was also the 3rd possession because the previous two long shots also luckily caught the heel and caromed out to their guards.

Boy teams sure do get lucky against us sometimes.

You absolutely make your own luck, you cannot have your argument both ways.

Not one to bump my own thread (ok, yes I am) or anything but I am kind of bummed my "gotcha" got no play...

bump.

When I posted the day we beat South Florida, I was obviously specifically thinking of the tourney. And moreover when I posted it ,at the time there was a thread about what teams posters were afraid of in the tourney. Wicsonsin's name was in that thread, which really is what prompted this one. So far we are actually now 5-1.

So I am going on record with the prediction thread early. (i.e. Ron Dayne 57 Rob Konrad 60)

Since ultimately without Fab I think 1996 repeats itself, and I ironically the badgers just advanced by the total Syracuse advanced with in 1996, I am going on record as predicting a 60-57 Syracuse victory.

They are gonna hit threes, like at least 12, but get little inside and Syracuse hits just enough outside shots to compliment a solid game in the paint in a win.

So then you must realize just how close 7-21 is to 21-7, right?

We make it SU 66, Wisky 52 and we can avoid this sort of converastion altogether.

2001-2002 = 0 - 4
2002-2003 = 1 - 1
2003-2004 = 2 - 2
2004-2005 = 1 - 3
2005-2006 = 1 - 3
2006-2007 = 0 - 2
2007-2008 = 0 - 1
2009-2009 = 1 - 2
2009-2010 = 0 - 2
2010-2011 = 1 - 1
prior total = 7 - 21
2011-2012 = 3 - 1*

Also, recently we won a 63-61 and a 64-61 (OT) game that just miss the cut.

Edited to add an asterisk for this years -1:p
To add some additional data to this thread, JB has won 21 of his last 25 overtime games. He is 187-100 in close games during his career and has won 22 of his last 29 close games.

Outcomes of close games aren't flips of a coin. Good coaches make a difference. JB is a great example of that.

Link

I'm not worried about the amount of points scored like in the 50/60/70 or even 80's. I just want the team to execute and play well and if they do the numbers can be 50-90 and we'll be fine. This group of players have proven they can run or play the run the clock down game and the big east has got us ready for both. I'm hoping the refs call a tight game for both sides.

JB has pointed out that a "knack" for winning close games doesn't mean you are going to win the next one.

People are afraid of getting in a close, low scoring game with Wisconsin. They can lose a game like that too. They don't put much distance between themselves and the other team even when playing well.

The real point is not that we have a magic touch in winn g such games: it's that if we get in that kind of game, it doesn't mean we're going to lose.

Is the 7-21, when both teams score less then 60, or only when SU score less then 60?

JB has pointed out that a "knack" for winning close games doesn't mean you are going to win the next one.

People are afraid of getting in a close, low scoring game with Wisconsin. They can lose a game like that too. They don't put much distance between themselves and the other team even when playing well.

The real point is not that we have a magic touch in winn g such games: it's that if we get in that kind of game, it doesn't mean we're going to lose.

He's right and that goes for any close game, high or low scoring. The key is to put yourself in the best position to win and I'd feel a heck of a lot better if we're up by 10 with 10 seconds or less on the clock than up by 1 and they have the ball. Play the best you can in all 40 minutes, control your own destiny and don't let it come down to a last second shot or a ref call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom