Winston showed one thing last night | Syracusefan.com

Winston showed one thing last night

upperdeck

Living Legend
even in making several bad decisions. when they showed the view from behind the QB you can see what separates good QBs from avg QB's , so many throws were made well before the Rcvrs began their breaks. The big issue Hunt has, and one reason long has thrown somewhat better , is that he almost always throws to open Wr instead of trusting they will be open when the ball gets there. Late throws kill more pass plays than coverage ever does.

Long has thrown several passes that Hunt wouldnt even have thrown because he seems to understand the QB position better even while lacking the big arm.

It also helps that Winston has a gun..

Long throws the ball late too. He just is more accurate.

None of our QB's have thrown before the wr breaks. And none of our WR's are ever open so it doesnt really matter.

Winston has the help of some of the best athletes in the country lining up 1v1 most snaps, too. That first TD, where there was a blown coverage, was still a great throw by Jameis. Guy didn't have to slow down to catch it; still hit him in stride. On the football field, he's the real deal.

Winston has the help of some of the best athletes in the country lining up 1v1 most snaps, too. That first TD, where there was a blown coverage, was still a great throw by Jameis. Guy didn't have to slow down to catch it; still hit him in stride. On the football field, he's the real deal.
Agreed. Any team that picks Mariotta over Winston next year is foolish. He doesn't have near the arm or the experience actually throwing the ball down field.

he got lucky lucky lucky on that late TD throw. That thing was into quadruple coverage. ive seen it 10x now and i still cant figure out how it got through.

i've still seen nobody talking about how gimpy Winston was at the end of that game. He could barely walk off the field. Hope it's minor.

Agreed. Any team that picks Mariotta over Winston next year is foolish. He doesn't have near the arm or the experience actually throwing the ball down field.
Winston is a special talent but sociopathic tendencies can hold one back from success at the next level. At least at the QB position.

And as good as he is throwing the ball, his throwing motion seems sort of clunky and slow. That may be an issue at the next level as well.

even in making several bad decisions. when they showed the view from behind the QB you can see what separates good QBs from avg QB's , so many throws were made well before the Rcvrs began their breaks. The big issue Hunt has, and one reason long has thrown somewhat better , is that he almost always throws to open Wr instead of trusting they will be open when the ball gets there. Late throws kill more pass plays than coverage ever does.

Long has thrown several passes that Hunt wouldnt even have thrown because he seems to understand the QB position better even while lacking the big arm.

It also helps that Winston has a gun..

Good observation!

he got lucky lucky lucky on that late TD throw. That thing was into quadruple coverage. ive seen it 10x now and i still cant figure out how it got through.

i've still seen nobody talking about how gimpy Winston was at the end of that game. He could barely walk off the field. Hope it's minor.

soooooo lucky

i wouldnt draft winston either. too much baggage. he throws a nice ball but can he handle being on a crappy team without exceptional talent compared to the competition? my guess is no.

If you can get him to throw off of his back foot with pressure you can have success vs him and if he doesn't have a good line in the NFL or the difference of talent at WR, he could have problems like Smith with the Jets. He hasn't played on a team that was out matched talent wise in 2 years.

CusefanATL said:
Long throws the ball late too. He just is more accurate. None of our QB's have thrown before the wr breaks. And none of our WR's are ever open so it doesnt really matter.

Factually incorrect. Long to Ish in the FSU game - TD. Long to back shoulder of Flemming for a first down.

Factually incorrect. Long to Ish in the FSU game - TD. Long to back shoulder of Flemming for a first down.

not to mention we have such a small sample set for long. hopefully, he watches film and can improve his reads, timing and consistency, if he does have deficits.

CusefanATL said:
And none of our WR's are ever open so it doesnt really matter.

I don't agree with that at all. Do we have the athlete a FSU does? Nope. But we have receivers open many times. Sitting at the Dome (not watching on TV) where you can see the whole field, there are receivers getting open. We just don't see them or don't hit them. Half the passes Hunt would miss on we're because the ball was 5 feet too high or short. Not because the receiver wasn't open. The rumor that we never have open receivers is greatly exaggerated.

Long throws the ball late too. He just is more accurate.

None of our QB's have thrown before the wr breaks. And none of our WR's are ever open so it doesnt really matter.
I think our WR would be open a bit more if the ball was there on time. dont know if the would catch it though. One thing West has shown is he can create some windows to pass into. I wish they would use him more on the short slant stuff, i think he can get open consistently on those type of plays. if peyton was throwing he might look all world on under 20 yd plays.

I don't agree with that at all. Do we have the athlete a FSU does? Nope. But we have receivers open many times. Sitting at the Dome (not watching on TV) where you can see the whole field, there are receivers getting open. We just don't see them or don't hit them. Half the passes Hunt would miss on we're because the ball was 5 feet too high or short. Not because the receiver wasn't open. The rumor that we never have open receivers is greatly exaggerated.

Granted, all of my game watching has been thru television so far, but I thought the Clemson game looked like one of the first ones that WRs were just being blanketed.

But his crab legs most certainly are not. Imitation crab.

Granted, all of my game watching has been thru television so far, but I thought the Clemson game looked like one of the first ones that WRs were just being blanketed.
They were. Clemson played tight man on them by and large, and our guys were usually covered. Long got out of the pocket and moved a bunch, and scanned the field, and there was nowhere to go.

Since i didn't watch the game last night, with this thread title and Famous Jameis, i half expected the body of the message to read "his junk to a cheerleader."