With a limited budget, HC needs to be offensive guy | Syracusefan.com

With a limited budget, HC needs to be offensive guy

Millhouse

Living Legend
Defense is a crapshoot everywhere, don't spend your money there. Pay an offensive head coach with a system and go cheap on the other side of the ball

It's not the end of the world for Shafer to be a great DC for twenty more years someplace

This is less about Shafer and more about not having enough money left to pay an offensive coach where scheme matters most

Why do we have such a limited budget? We're a high profile school in the ACC. Why are we scraping for pennies to improve the football program?

Do we legit not have any money or do we just not care about football for some reason?

longislandcuse said:
Why do we have such a limited budget? We're a high profile school in the ACC. Why are we scraping for pennies to improve the football program? Do we legit not have any money or do we just not care about football for some reason?
Nobody goes to games. Not that I blame them. Tv money is great but that has to matter

Syracuse:
Endowment, $1.183 billion (June 30, 2014)

Seems like there is some money available to me.

When Marrone came in, the asst coaches budget was significantly increased. Just imagine where we used to be.

That's not what endowments are for
I thought endowments were funds used for investments in to the school? So the funds are solely for buying out the center of Syracuse and pushing the crime ridden neighborhoods into the suburbs? Seems like sports programs are investments.

I thought endowments were funds used for investments in to the school? So the funds are solely for buying out the center of Syracuse and pushing the crime ridden neighborhoods into the suburbs? Seems like sports programs are investments.
F*** it, let's be innovators and crack open the endowment to buy our way to football improvement.

Syracuse should consider opening a school in Florida, University of Syracuse at Sanibel Island. Maybe we could start pulling in the 5 star kids.

Syracuse:
Endowment, $1.183 billion (June 30, 2014)

Seems like there is some money available to me.
Endowment funds can only be spent in accordance with donor restrictions. So if a donor restricts money for football, we'd be able to use it. So the $1B isn't free to be used. That's why ADs and presidents are basically full time fundraisers.

Defense is a crapshoot everywhere, don't spend your money there. Pay an offensive head coach with a system and go cheap on the other side of the ball

It's not the end of the world for Shafer to be a great DC for twenty more years someplace

This is less about Shafer and more about not having enough money left to pay an offensive coach where scheme matters most
I said this the last two hires...college is all about scoring points.

I wanted Hacket or start fresh but i hoped against hope that Schafer could get it done...he was likable and frankly i have no say in the matter and have season tix since dome opened

I know of a long-time experience college head coach who had some success in college building up a bottom-tier program, who went to the NFL and failed, and would love to probably get back into the college game and run a program again. And he probably would love to get into a major conference like the ACC and run a program there and he probably would be a realistic get for a school the size of SU if they offered him a fair contract, and he has ties to Florida and New Jersey and can recruit those regions of the country

His name...Greg Schiano.

Discuss

I would take a look at Mike Norvell, Scott Frost, Tom Herman or Phil Montgomery

Last edited:
I know of a long-time experience college head coach who had some success in college building up a bottom-tier program, who went to the NFL and failed, and would love to probably get back into the college game and run a program again. And he probably would love to get into a major conference like the ACC and run a program there and he probably would be a realistic get for a school the size of SU if they offered him a fair contract, and he has ties to Florida and New Jersey and can recruit those regions of the country

His name...Greg Schiano.

Discuss

Never

If you were going to go that way, which is a wicked overreaction at this point,

There is only one guy you go after.

Phil Montgomery

I would take a look at Mike Norvell, Scott Frost, Tom Herman
Matt Campbell at Toledo
Mark Whipple at UMASS

BOTH have head coaching experience which is what SU needs in their next hire. Not some green coordinator who has never ran a program before

I truly think when you hire a guy without HC experience you have a much longer road to travel. It worked with Marrone, not so much thus far with Shafer. We should not do that again.

Remember when people were worried Shaf may get the UM job! :)

what is tressel status? how many more years does he have to wait?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom