With our connections to Canadian basketball do we have any chance at RJ Barrett? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

With our connections to Canadian basketball do we have any chance at RJ Barrett?

as an aside: isn't it curious that 2 former St. John's players named Rowan have had sons who are such high level players themselves. Barret, obviously, and also Ron Rowan's son Maverick, who lit us up for 30some points last season

No problem. He and Vlade Divac were part of that amazing Yugoslavian team that broke up along ethnic lines when the Balkan war broke out. They became outcasts overnight. Croats they played ball with their whole lives stopped talking to Vlade. I think Drazen had died by then.

Really great 30 for 30 about it. Think it was called Once Brothers or something like that. Vlade and Drazen are the main focus of it.

I wonder if the kid will regret not going into the draft this year. I imagine given his athleticism he will still be a first rounder, perhaps very late. However, I wonder if the other talent at UK will overshadow him, and his offensive deficiencies will be more clear. He's certainly still young and possesses a ton of talent.

He would have been a late first round pick this year.

Barrett is in the Class of 2019, so it depends on where the staff's priorities lay. So far they've offered Battle and the kid from Montreal.

The players he is getting are already highly self-motived and will play hard as it's their year-long tryout for the NBA. On a team loaded with 5-star players, each year; only one National Championship and that was the year a senior played a pivotal role. There are numerous other coaches who, with that talent, annually, who would have added to that total.

Kansas and Arizona recruit really well and they aren't winning championships. Self wouldn't have a championship if Memphis could make a free throw down the stretch and Chalmers didn't make an unbelievable shot to force overtime. It's really hard to win 6 games in March. I think Syracuse is a great program and we have 1.

Kansas and Arizona recruit really well and they aren't winning championships. Self wouldn't have a championship if Memphis could make a free throw down the stretch and Chalmers didn't make an unbelievable shot to force overtime. It's really hard to win 6 games in March. I think Syracuse is a great program and we have 1.
Compare the 5 stars on each of those rosters with those on Kentucky; are they, in fact, equal?

Compare the 5 stars on each of those rosters with those on Kentucky; are they, in fact, equal?
Not equal, but get more than enough 5 star recruits to win a championship. They are 3 and 4 in recruiting pretty much every year behind Kentucky and Duke. My point is it's really hard to win 6 games. Their body of work is great, fell short on winning the whole thing, but Miller and Self are very good coaches.

I personally believe what Calipari has to do every year is difficult. Have new kids every year and getting them to buy into the system he wants to run. Getting them to share the ball and play defense. That's just me though and I know people will disagree. I'd prefer as a coach to have less turnover as a program.

Not equal, but get more than enough 5 star recruits to win a championship. They are 3 and 4 in recruiting pretty much every year behind Kentucky and Duke. My point is it's really hard to win 6 games. Their body of work is great, fell short on winning the whole thing, but Miller and Self are very good coaches.

I personally believe what Calipari has to do every year is difficult. Have new kids every year and getting them to buy into the system he wants to run. Getting them to share the ball and play defense. That's just me though and I know people will disagree. I'd prefer as a coach to have less turnover as a program.

I prefer as a fan to have less turnover. Yes, it would be fun to be stacked with 5 stars every year and be a contender. It's also fun getting to watch kids develop over 3-4 years. But I am with you, turnover is always tough. I mean, how many of our one and done players do we really remember(outside of Melo for obvious reasons of course) as really impacting our program? I mean the last couple...Malachi had a great 8 minutes, but honestly, in a few years you'll have to remind me he was part of our program. Same goes for McCullough. I can't imagine having to try and remember all the one and dones that Kentucky has had that didn't accomplish a championship.

Yes, it's difficult. However many young people are easily drawn to the bright lights and also fall for the bs handed out by numerous coaches.
IMO Calipari is one of the top bs artists in college basketball. He has mastered the art of deception, in recruiting, and many are buying the Koolaid.

Also, Kansas is not a great example of coaching, they typically recruit well and win throughout the season and then tank in the tournament.

Thanks for proving my point.
I wasn't trying to be snarky, just pointing out that we do have some personal connections up north.

Something must be working, or we wouldn't have the Canadian player of the year suiting up this Fall.

Barrett would be ours if we wanted but bohiem refuses to go check him out

Similar to how Jamal Murray was an absolute lock for us, all we had to do was offer. When is JB going to finally wake up & start recruiting Canada???!!!

I'm going to bet most won't get these posts, but kudos from me. Well done.

Similar to how Jamal Murray was an absolute lock for us, all we had to do was offer. When is JB going to finally wake up & start recruiting Canada???!!!
This is what pisses me off about HCJB. They have no interest in SU if you don't go after them. When will he recruit in Canada and west of the Mississippi River?

This is what pisses me off about HCJB. They have no interest in SU if you don't go after them. When will he recruit in Canada and west of the Mississippi River?
I hope you are being as sarcastic as the post you commented was. You do realize that we just signed three players not in this country and one of them was the Canadian player of the year.

I hope you are being as sarcastic as the post you commented was. You do realize that we just signed three players not in this country and one of them was the Canadian player of the year.
You said the key word, "just"

You said the key word, "just"
So what's the problem then...he did exactly what you said he didn't do, and it's still not good enough.

Not every player is interested in Cuse...perhaps we inquire and are told not to waste our time. No matter how much we all love Cuse, there are other great options for players.