World Cup Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

World Cup Thread

What hurt us was the hiring of Klinnsman as the program went backwards for 6 years. Bradley and Dempsey returning at the back end of their careers was no factor . Not only did the National team struggle but it went right down the line with U20s. U17s ECT...,
Sunil needed to go as well.

People forget that Klinsman had some terrific success as US Men's national team coach. They won something like 13 matches in a row at one point. They beat teams like Italy away. They had some big wins and he encouraged them to play with more flair, and to try to control the ball better.

That said, he had some major shortcomings. Tactically, he was naive, and didn't communicate well to the team. Sometimes, the team just didn't buy in to what he was trying to do. But tactics and repetition (things that somebody like Antonio Conte is great at) was just not in Klinsman's DNA.

He brought new ideas to the team, but he lacked the ability to implement those ideas, and he was kind of a vindictive guy. His decision to drop Landon Donovan from the 2014 team will probably be the thing he is most remembered for, unfortunately.

Donovan was kind of an arrogant pr..k himself, and people forget, but he quit the team (and MLS) for about 8 months during World Cup qualifying to go "find himself" and get hungry to play the game again. Meanwhile, the US team was struggling with qualifying, and then he parachuted back in, and expected to get the Cristiano Ronaldo treatment once he returned. Yes, Donovan was a gifted player, but he was also a huge jerk.

Morocco just kicked Portugal's ass and lost 1-0

Just a reminder (because I forgot until a few days ago), the World Cup is playing on Directv channel 106 in 4K

Iran is embarrassing soccer with how their players embellish everything and not trying to do anything but kill time and slow down the game.

Horse sh!+ in modern Argentinian Spanish = Caballero Mierda

P.S. His monumental screw up completely deflated them and in essence lost the game. But credit to Croatia, they’re one of the legit contenders. And it’s wide open.

Last edited:
messi is a poor sport.

Croatia is underestimated by many. Their midfield is better than argentinas as a whole.

Yep. Just give it to the Hand of God. He’s already there and surely has a line up in mind.
Anything.

Such an embarrassment for our team. Putrid display this World Cup and just about all it stems from the manager.

Anything.

Such an embarrassment for our team. Putrid display this World Cup and just about all it stems from the manager.
Just Messi’ng witcha ... line ... up ... ;)

BTW, not my team. Mine (US) didn’t make it. Neither did yours ;) ... your sentimental favorites (Argh-entina) have been exposed from day one against Iceland!?? Seriously? ... my sentimental (but not political) favorites (Russia) have surprised, but very much doubt they get past Portugal/Spain.

Just Messi’ng witcha ... line ... up ... ;)

BTW, not my team. Mine (US) didn’t make it. Neither did yours ;) ... your sentimental favorites (Argh-entina) have been exposed from day one against Iceland!?? Seriously? ... my sentimental (but not political) favorites (Russia) have surprised, but very much doubt they get past Portugal/Spain.
My main teams are Ukraine (birthplace) and Canada (if you want to call them a team). Repping Argentina for the Wife and usually we always watch the games. Russia has a little favourable group there but they'll be gone quickly in the R-16 so then we can all celebrate that (lol).

But anyways I feel sad for Messi there is just so much poor management right from the top of the AFA... it's quite embarrassing!

My main teams are Ukraine (birthplace) and Canada (if you want to call them a team). Repping Argentina for the Wife and usually we always watch the games. Russia has a little favourable group there but they'll be gone quickly in the R-16 so then we can all celebrate that (lol).

But anyways I feel sad for Messi there is just so much poor management right from the top of the AFA... it's quite embarrassing!
Oh, I was rooting for Ukraine to make it (my ex is from Kharkiv) though I was born in Moscow - and lived right by Luzhniki. Even performed there as a kid around the ‘80 Olympics. Hate the exposure Putin is getting out of this - as History has shown, nothing good comes of appeasement. Just like after Sochi Olympics - Krimea, Donetsk. Muscle flexing coming right up. The world doesn’t learn.

And yes, love Messi and don’t like Ronaldo (such a show off - though a brilliant player). But Messi’s unsportsmanship was appalling (as Bees rrlbees properly noted).

messi is a poor sport.

He shouldn’t have walked off. He’s better than that.

I thought I remember hearing that Messi retired from international play after the last World Cup...as in he wasn’t going to play for Argentina anymore. They made him the scapegoat of the 2014 loss for one missed penalty kick. I can only imagine the pressure he plays under with his national team. He has zero support on the field so it has to be completely frustrating. They expect him to bail the team out. He’s the reason they’re in Russia in the first place. He doesn’t look to be having any fun playing, like he doesn’t want to be there with these guys, or this coach.

He shouldn’t have walked off. He’s better than that.

I thought I remember hearing that Messi retired from international play after the last World Cup...as in he wasn’t going to play for Argentina anymore. They made him the scapegoat of the 2014 loss for one missed penalty kick. I can only imagine the pressure he plays under with his national team. He has zero support on the field so it has to be completely frustrating. They expect him to bail the team out. He’s the reason they’re in Russia in the first place. He doesn’t look to be having any fun playing, like he doesn’t want to be there with these guys, or this coach.
I’ve heard multiple people say they feel bad for Messi because he doesn’t have help and I don’t get it... His team has players that are all playing at the top levels of European leagues, no? This isn’t us asking Pulisic to bail out a bunch of MLS dudes.

I’ve heard multiple people say they feel bad for Messi because he doesn’t have help and I don’t get it... His team has players that are all playing at the top levels of European leagues, no? This isn’t us asking Pulisic to bail out a bunch of MLS dudes.
The team is so systematically confused and tactically inept that you honestly could have three messi's on the field and they still would not know what to do with them.

Furthermore, there are a lot of players on the squad that are well before there best before date.

Can’t stand Brazil. Bunch of punk ass players. Especially Neymar.

messi is a poor sport.

Something's wrong with Messi mentally when he plays for the national team. He is just not into it. He was a passive bystander in the last match.

Can’t stand Brazil. Bunch of punk ass players. Especially Neymar.

Neymar jumps into players all the GD time and expects the foul calls.
Plus, with PSG this year, he basically was a crap teammate and tried to run Edinson Cavani (only PSG's all-time leading goal scorer) out of town so it could be "his" team.
Not a guy I want on my team, despite his talent.

Neymar jumps into players all the GD time and expects the foul calls.
Plus, with PSG this year, he basically was a crap teammate and tried to run Edinson Cavani (only PSG's all-time leading goal scorer) out of town so it could be "his" team.
Not a guy I want on my team, despite his talent.

And after his goal today he’s running around doing the slashing of the throat thing.

Yeah, exactly! That squad is full of really good players. I think Messi ruins the chemistry and they would be better off without him. (Can you believe I said that?) Everyone feels the need to bow down to Messi and whatever he wants, but he looks disinterested out there sometimes for the national team.

I mean Dybala, Aguero and Higuain are all outstanding attackers. DiMaria, Mascherano and Ever Banega are all very good midfielders. Otamendi and Marcos Rojo give you a foundation for a decent back line. I mean, what the heck, this team is a lot better than this. Messi is the problem, not the solution.

Yeah, exactly! That squad is full of really good players. I think Messi ruins the chemistry and they would be better off without him. (Can you believe I said that?) Everyone feels the need to bow down to Messi and whatever he wants, but he looks disinterested out there sometimes for the national team. Anyways beat Nigeria and they qualify... which would be a tad funny.

I mean Dybala, Aguero and Higuain are all outstanding attackers. DiMaria, Mascherano and Ever Banega are all very good midfielders. Otamendi and Marcos Rojo give you a foundation for a decent back line. I mean, what the heck, this team is a lot better than this. Messi is the problem, not the solution.
Maybe part of the issue that a lot of the players you listed didn't even start?

Maybe part of the issue that a lot of the players you listed didn't even start?

You're the person above who questions whether many of these players are "past it" - maybe you can say that about Higuain and Macherano, but Dybala is still young and Aguero, despite being "phased out" by Guardiola, still had around 20 goals in limited playing time this year. DiMaria has gone off the boil a bit compared to his Real Madrid days under Mourinho, but is not worse than the type of competitors he is facing in the World Cup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom