Worst call of the game? | Syracusefan.com

Worst call of the game?

LAOrange

Starter
First and foremost, really glad we won. I caught the game from the mid-second quarter on, so I didn't see the hit on Dungey. I hope he's okay.
I know a lot of you will call out Shafer on the time out, but I kind of understand it. His team was disoriented and Rush was hitting everything he tried. Who knew the secondary was going to crap the bed on the hail Mary?
I personally think the worst call was the bubble screen to Strickland inside the ten. It was out of Mahoney's skill set, he floated a ball inside-the-ten. And it didn't look like his escape valve, I think Strickland was his primary.

the TO was idiotic and face palm inducing...but at least it was heat of the moment. For me, the worse call was punting and taking the delay of game at the end of the 4th quarter without even lining up. That is an ongoing pattern of behavior of cowardice and poor understanding of probabilities.

The 4th and 1 delay of game decision to punt really angered me. I hated the timeout but I could at least understand it because our defense was staring at the sideline. Deciding to elect for the delay of game and then punt just displayed to the team that Shafer had no faith in them to get it. I'd rather take the chance to dictate the end of the game in our hands as opposed to them having it in worse field position. Additionally, our defense was absolutely gassed because we had only had the ball for like 8 minutes in the second.

Honestly don't think the time out made as much of difference as most here think. Our pass D was swiss cheese all day. The worst call was sending out that secondary to defend a touchdown.

It was the punt and it isn't even close. It was a wuss call by Shafer. If the team couldn't get the 1 yard we desereved to lose the game.

Also, over the last decade 2 minute drills have basically become the normal. It isn't difficult anymore, teams practice it all the time and watch other teams pull it off all the time. What needed to be taken away was time, not field position. That is why that punt was the worst call of the game by SU.

If there was only a :50-:60 left then the punt would had a better probablility to worked out better. But 2:00 is an eternity when the offense knows it only has those 2 minutes.

The 2nd possession of the second half. We come out in the third 3 and out. I can understand that but then we absolutely fold the next 3 downs with no sense of urgency again, against a team that was solid offensively in the first half.

Then we throw the 50 yard interception the very first play of the next possession. Not saying it was a bad play call, but the worst part is it put our defense right back on the field after one down.

I didn't mind the punt, but that's just me. The defense had held them to only 2 touchdowns on the day and they needed a touchdown.

Last edited:
Honestly don't think the time out made as much of difference as most here think. Our pass D was swiss cheese all day. The worst call was sending out that secondary to defend a touchdown.

Clock was running, offense needed to get a call in from the side lines quickly, and I'm pretty sure that CMU was going to spike the ball. There is no question that SS felt we were misaligned/confused and felt forced to call the TO. I think most coaches would not elect to stop the clock there, especially with that O looking confused. I think the previous decision to punt was the more questionable call. He took the delay hoping for a review, IMO. With the D reeling all 2nd half, go for the first down on 4th and one and pretty much end the game.

As these decisions start to pile up, you have to wonder about SS's decision making in the heat of the moment.

Clock was running, offense needed to get a call in from the side lines quickly, and I'm pretty sure that CMU was going to spike the ball. There is no question that SS felt we were misaligned/confused and felt forced to call the TO. I think most coaches would not elect to stop the clock there, especially with that O looking confused. I think the previous decision to punt was the more questionable call. He took the delay hoping for a review, IMO. With the D reeling all 2nd half, go for the first down on 4th and one and pretty much end the game.

As these decisions start to pile up, you have to wonder about SS's decision making in the heat of the moment.
the kicker though, is that even if you've already resolved to punt and want the booth to look at it, AT LEAST LINE UP and take the delay. Maybe CMU doesn't jump, but they definitely won't when you just sit on the sideline.

gocraz4dasu said:
The 4th and 1 delay of game decision to punt really angered me. I hated the timeout but I could at least understand it because our defense was staring at the sideline. Deciding to elect for the delay of game and then punt just displayed to the team that Shafer had no faith in them to get it. I'd rather take the chance to dictate the end of the game in our hands as opposed to them having it in worse field position. Additionally, our defense was absolutely gassed because we had only had the ball for like 8 minutes in the second.

No offense - but I didn't have faith in them getting it either.

You should take a timeout. Especially because timeout's mean nothing to you because your ahead and you want time to be gone. Not stopped.

:15 and the clock is running. they are the disoriented ones and desperately need a score. and do so after the timeout call. STOOPID!
Or, our guys could have been gassed, or positioned incorrectly. Not defending the call, but we weren't down there. Have to consider all the possibilities.

the TO was idiotic and face palm inducing...but at least it was heat of the moment. For me, the worse call was punting and taking the delay of game at the end of the 4th quarter without even lining up. That is an ongoing pattern of behavior of cowardice and poor understanding of probabilities.

AGREED 100%. Truly awful.
At least line up, try to draw them offsides, or maybe run a fake (with #RileyDixonForHeisman).
The delay of game part of that was almost as atricious as the now infamous TO call.

I like our coaching staff, but they are just not good gameday coaches.

TO was the worst. The punt on 4th and 1 was warranted. I had no confidence that we could make that. I would have preferred for us to try to pull them off sides before taking the penalty

First and foremost - love that we won. White Knuckle for sure.

Wow, let's see. Mine would be the first possession of the 2nd half. We come out with the ball after the lousy onside kick attempt at midfield, coming off a very pretty Wilson TD pass to end the first half. What do we do? 3 runs and out. That was silly. Should have done some play action, something - at least CMU would have some fear of a downfield pass after what Wilson did towards the end of the first half. I can't remember if it was Wilson or Maloney in to run that drive, but if it wasn't Wilson it should have been.

That sequence I just didn't understand. That was exactly when we gave the momentum of the game away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom