Would Coach P come back | Syracusefan.com

Would Coach P come back

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
PSYCHE!!!

The irony w that statement is Coyle probably is reviewing what worked during the last extended run of success at Syracuse. P and D had success in the 90s. Try and see if themes can be extended to now in terms of building a good program.

I am talking in a vacuum bc it was built on the Mac success but P got to 3 bcs games no matter how u cut it and beat top 25 teams yearly.

History repeats itself. Michigan went back to pound it football and are getting it done again after failing w Rich Rod.

Recruit New England like a monster, be unique, use Dome to your advantage, be awesome in ST bc of dome (kicker should be a focus bc of it), etc

Looking ahead w history as your guide is the blueprint. Coyle should b talking to Jake Crouthamel. Last guy to hire two successful football coaches at Syracuse not to mention being a coach himself.

elimunelson said:
PSYCHE!!!

The irony w that statement is Coyle probably is reviewing what worked during the last extended run of success at Syracuse. P and D had success in the 90s. Try and see if themes can be extended to now in terms of building a good program.

I am talking in a vacuum bc it was built on the Mac success but P got to 3 bcs games no matter how u cut it and beat top 25 teams yearly.

Why would Coyle look back at the coach P era when he came from a program that was more successful at Boise?

Why would Coyle look back at the coach P era when he came from a program that was more successful at Boise?
Totally agree. The problem is Michigan has always been a power run team. Yes they had a few years where they passed heavy but Michigan has always been power run. We don't have any identity and we haven't for a long long time. The recruiting philosophy has been for year to take the best athletes we can get and right now we have a melting pot of different types of players because of it. Trying to make this team into a power running team or an option based team would spell disaster. If a move is made they have to find someone that can gradually transfer the players to what they want. It would be grob 2.0 if someone came in and turned us into a spread over night or an option. The coach needs to know enough that a total change can't happen over night.

PSYCHE!!!

Aren't we running enough option football for you right now? You want more?

What works is hiring a good coach who gets the most out of his kids and can win with lesser talent. Do that for a few years and bigger talent comes here. That's when we really can compete.

We are addicted to being cynical towards everything Pasqualoni. Not saying it should be a facsimile but he did SOMETHING successful during a period of time. Anyone trying to figure this out should analyze that era. its not the Jurassic period it was less than 20 years ago.

During that period we had Pat O'neill, Olindo Mare guys who were weapons on special teams. We should always have a top kicker being in A dome.

During that period we had Pat O'neill, Olindo Mare guys who were weapons on special teams. We should always have a top kicker being in A dome.
I would rather have a coach that didn't settle for field goals.

History repeats itself. Michigan went back to pound it football and are getting it done again after failing w Rich Rod.

Recruit New England like a monster, be unique, use Dome to your advantage, be awesome in ST bc of dome (kicker should be a focus bc of it), etc

Looking ahead w history as your guide is the blueprint. Coyle should b talking to Jake Crouthamel. Last guy to hire two successful football coaches at Syracuse not to mention being a coach himself.
Coyle should b talking to Jake Crouthamel. Last guy to hire two successful football coaches at Syracuse not to mention being a coach himself
I sure hope this comment was sarcasm. IMHO, Jake retired on active duty and allowed an obviously declining program under P. to continue. I believe that his indifference (and that of the chancellor) at the end of his career was partially responsible for SU not joining the ACC during the first expansion.

Coyle should b talking to Jake Crouthamel. Last guy to hire two successful football coaches at Syracuse not to mention being a coach himself
I sure hope this comment was sarcasm. IMHO, Jake retired on active duty and allowed an obviously declining program under P. to continue. I believe that his indifference (and that of the chancellor) at the end of his career was partially responsible for SU not joining the ACC during the first expansion.
Jake started the downward slide but gross put the nail in the coffin. Cantor giving him bonus money for Olympic sports was stupid. Instead of throwing the kitchen sink at football he tossed money at Olympic sports that bring very little back. Cantor and gross are the real people to blame. Jake just lost touch with reality but let's be honest coach p teams would be welcomed back right now with open arms. Did he slump yes but he would have had some 8 win seasons mixed in with more 6-6 then 3-9 teams.

We are addicted to being cynical towards everything Pasqualoni. Not saying it should be a facsimile but he did SOMETHING successful during a period of time. Anyone trying to figure this out should analyze that era. its not the Jurassic period it was less than 20 years ago.

Like the moneyball guys in baseball SU found an underused aspect of the sport and got an edge. P and D were ahead of the curve in using mobile QB's who could also throw. Once the factory schools started recruiting these guys the advantage was lost.

Recruit mainly New England you still get crushed by the talent down south.

The Dome isn't really an advantage these days, not in recruiting nor if we recruited based on special teams. Focus our team on special teams? Are you trying to get us better or worse?

Jake started the downward slide but gross put the nail in the coffin. Cantor giving him bonus money for Olympic sports was stupid. Instead of throwing the kitchen sink at football he tossed money at Olympic sports that bring very little back. Cantor and gross are the real people to blame. Jake just lost touch with reality but let's be honest coach p teams would be welcomed back right now with open arms. Did he slump yes but he would have had some 8 win seasons mixed in with more 6-6 then 3-9 teams.
Football obviously needs to be addressed, but having a legit shot at a national championship in field hockey, cross country, and M/W lax is not throwing money away IMHO.

kirbivore said:
Like the moneyball guys in baseball SU found an underused aspect of the sport and got an edge. P and D were ahead of the curve in using mobile QB's who could also throw. Once the factory schools started recruiting these guys the advantage was lost.

How many national championship caliber teams have great kickers? Not many. I'm not saying it isn't important, but I don't want our guys putting too much energy into recruiting this area. The return game is a much bigger impact area. You can win a lot of games with average kickers.
Also, not sure P and D were ahead of the game with mobile qbs. Mac brought in Donnie and Marvin. Other than McNabb, coach P didn't fare so well at recruiting qbs.

PSYCHE!!!

Since Jill wasn't thrilled with leaving Dallas to move to Storrs why would she ever want to move back to Syracuse. Sometimes we wives do make the decision. ;)

Last edited:
Football obviously needs to be addressed, but having a legit shot at a national championship in field hockey, cross country, and M/W lax is not throwing money away IMHO.
I'm not saying it doesn't have value but the return on that is much less then football.

Since Jill wasn't thrilled with leaving Dallas to move to Storrs why would she ever want to move back to Syracuse. Sometimes we wives do make the decision. ;)

Yeah my tongue in cheek ness of the title was probably lost on a few people.

All i'm saying is we need to find the same inefficiencies from the 90s to help us bridge the gap. There is a reason Belichick always mentions special teams first in every press conf. You can win games there. We have lost a few games to ST this year or put us in position to lose. Olindo Mare was a weapon in the 90s.

BC has done a great job of finding monstrous linemen in the new england area and have become a power in the trenches during that time.

Everyone talks about how much smaller we are to the FSUs of the world. I think we can match them size and power. The speed is something we will have to go south for (like we always have).

The narrative on Jake and Shaw are foolish about the ACC and the teams that performed during their eras. Jake was lightyears smarter than Gross. Jake may not have smiled or had a Gross like personality but he was as respected in college football as anyone during that era (up to the end).