Would love to see Red bring in an established ex HC next season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Would love to see Red bring in an established ex HC next season

I’m glad we know enough about Red’s strengths and weaknesses as a coach to recommend an outside consultant after…. (checks schedule)…. Six games. Of which three were back to back. Well done to everyone for knowing basketball so well AND being able to predict how Red will adjust to what he has learned.

I'm open to a discussion about the assistants but it was just the suggestion of Greenberg that repulsed me
Don't understand the revulsion.
He could bring his daughters.
Wait...I see at least two of them are married.
Never mind.

Wait...I see at least two of them are married.
Never mind.
what GIF

I’m glad we know enough about Red’s strengths and weaknesses as a coach to recommend an outside consultant after…. (checks schedule)…. Six games. Of which three were back to back. Well done to everyone for knowing basketball so well AND being able to predict how Red will adjust to what he has learned.
Why do we need more than 6 games to see if a guy knows x’s and o’s? He clearly has real issues with in game coaching. Seems to be a great recruiter.

Why do we need more than 6 games to see if a guy knows x’s and o’s? He clearly has real issues with in game coaching. Seems to be a great recruiter.
People said the same thing about Danny Hurley his first two seasons at UConn. See the attached article. He had a losing record his first year there, his first year at Wagner, and his first two years at Rhode Island. It takes time to rebuild. JB had allowed the program to atrophy for several years before his retirement.
From the Athletic article above:
In a lot of ways, UConn was better last year than its 16-17 record. The late-season injuries to Adams and Gilbert undid whatever hope the Huskies had for a strong finish. But both guards were back in the lineup for the 84-45 dusting that Houston delivered in the season finale, a bitter loss that reminded Hurley just how far the team has to go. “Winning habits, breaking old habits, that doesn’t happen in a year,’’ he says.

Like anyone else, he’s looking for better results in the win-loss column, but he’s particularly hellbent on the one statistic he believes will get the Huskies there — better defense. Under Hurley, Rhode Island grew into a consistent top-75 performer in adjusted defense. UConn ranked 129th, per KenPom.com, and a woeful 10th (ahead of only East Carolina and Tulane) in the American. That’s not going to cut it. “We have to be a top-50 defense if we want to win consistently,’’ Hurley says. “We’re nowhere near there yet.’’

Last edited:
Not trying to ruffle feathers, but he could benefit from a Seth Greenberg type with him.
And how soon would the 'why don't we let (ex head coach) run the team instead of Red' start?

Oh, and Wildhack is bringing someone in without talking to Red?

How would you like someone to be looking over your shoulder at work? If I were Red and that happened, I'd look for a new job.

Last edited:
how long do gerry and griff hang around as co pilots ? if red succeeds they're stuck as underlings. if he fails no way an assistant coach is getting the next gig.

What coach was beating two top 15 teams in his first season here 4 and 5 games into the season?

Not to mention people here act like the stuff we see the players doing is what Red has coached them to do. It’s more like he coaches them to run his system and most of the time they do their own thing. Lol. It takes time.

Not to mention people here act like the stuff we see the players doing is what Red has coached them to do. It’s more like he coaches them to run his system and most of the time they do their own thing. Lol. It takes time.
These aren’t 3rd graders. A real coach has the team running plays and looking disciplined. Cmon already

What coach was beating two top 15 teams in his first season here 4 and 5 games into the season?
Didn’t have to beat them. We just don’t have any clue what we’re doing. It’s a pickup game for us.