Wouldn't know where to start.. | Syracusefan.com

Wouldn't know where to start..

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
One of the most frustrating games I've ever seen.

Can't believe how inconsistently bad this offense still is. Just can't believe it.

D played great, left it on the field with key guys down.

O was awful. Special Teams was worse.

Terrible game, excruciating to watch. We let a terrible terrible coach get out of our stadium with a win.

D was great. Turnovers were really inopportunistic. really disappointed in when the turnovers were committed. left a ton of points on the field. what can you do.

How can we have a former NFL OC as a coach and have such a completely ing dysfunctional offense?

How can we have a former NFL OC as a coach and have such a completely ******* dysfunctional offense?

because he lets a 12-year old call the plays. "I'm an astronaut" is probably heard randomly over the headset.

i think a good place to start would be to eliminate those 3rd and long drive extending penalties we seem to giftwrap and deliver every week.

i think a good place to start would be to eliminate those 3rd and long drive extending penalties we seem to giftwrap and deliver every week.
That's a major issue on the other side of the ball. Happens every game.

How can we have a former NFL OC as a coach and have such a completely ******* dysfunctional offense?
Because he can't recruit. He stabilized the program and began to change the culture. That's it. He needs to be canned because in year 3 his team is already regressing and it's going to get worse. Last year was his high water mark.

One of the most frustrating games I've ever seen.

Can't believe how inconsistently bad this offense still is. Just can't believe it.

D played great, left it on the field with key guys down.

O was awful. Special Teams was worse.

Terrible game, excruciating to watch. We let a terrible terrible coach get out of our stadium with a win.

D played solid but had some dumb ass penalties that allowed drives to continue (interference on 3rd and 19 that resulted in points springs to mind and there were a couple others as well). Also, we can't drop interceptions like we did today. Thomas simply can't leave a pick six on the field (or on the turf). the old adage of DB's being receivers with bad hands was evident today at times.

Nassib didn't have it today although the ball off the receiver that was intercepted wasn't on him. that said, he has shown great touch this year on the short to intermediate stuff but not today.

We call trick plays against Toledo but today was plain vanilla. Not sure what the hell we're thinking of there.

Special teams? The right side of the line on place kicks should be marched to the edge of campus and not allowed back under threat of arrest.

We gave up scoring opportunities, we committed dumb penalties, we didn't execute. Very very frustrating. Definitely a What loss.

Because he can't recruit. He stabilized the program and began to change the culture. That's it. He needs to be canned because in year 3 his team is already regressing and it's going to get worse. Last year was his high water mark.

Going back to the recruiting BS I see.

Is it too soon to start an "is it the HC or is it the OC?" thread?

I jest, I jest.

Going back to the recruiting BS I see.

What's BS about it?

They're getting some decent under-the-radar talent on defense, but absolutely nothing on offense. Especially at the skill positions.

I cannot wrap my head around this game - complete collapse on offense - and to think that I was really worried about our defense

What's BS about it?

They're getting some decent under-the-radar talent on defense, but absolutely nothing on offense. Especially at the skill positions.
It's BS because he is in what, year 3. The type of talent Syracuse is capable of cultivating needs time to develop. Throwing a bunch of 3 star freshman out there is not the answer. Recruiting may turn out to be an issue, but it was not one today.

This team lost its best lineman (or its most important if you prefer), its best offensive player (two years running), its smoothest receiver, its two best corners, two best defensive players (Hogue and Smith), and its entire interior line rotation, not to mention its four year punter and a four year starter in Suter. It lost a lot of skill, a lot of experience, and a lot of talent. I think the offense is disappointing because it underperformed the defense today, despite the fact the defense is so wore down.

Frankly, I don't know what to say about the offense. I don't mind the system. It bothers me SU struggles so much just to move the ball, let alone put points on the board. There was nothing cohesive about how they played today. This offense should be more capable, even without the big playmakers.

What's BS about it?

1. The defensive prospects are MUCH better than just decent.
2. Gulley was a game away from establishing himself as the best runner on the team.
3. We are starting to see West emerge.
4. Kobena obviously has skills, but there is a veteran presence ahead of him.
5. One thing I am not upset with the coaches about at this moment is their ability to develop Nassib. Hunt and Broyld have a ton more physical talent than Nassib, so the fact Ryan has come so far is a very good sign.

It's BS because he is in what, year 3. The type of talent Syracuse is capable of cultivating needs time to develop. Throwing a bunch of 3 star freshman out there is not the answer. Recruiting may turn out to be an issue, but it was not one today.

This team lost its best lineman (or its most important if you prefer), its best offensive player (two years running), its smoothest receiver, its two best corners, two best defensive players (Hogue and Smith), and its entire interior line rotation, not to mention its four year punter and a four year starter in Suter. It lost a lot of skill, a lot of experience, and a lot of talent. I think the offense is disappointing because it underperformed the defense today, despite the fact the defense is so wore down.

Frankly, I don't know what to say about the offense. I don't mind the system. It bothers me SU struggles so much just to move the ball, let alone put points on the board. There was nothing cohesive about how they played today. This offense should be more capable, even without the big playmakers.

Recruiting wasn't an issue today? The offense scored NINE points today. In four quarters + two overtime possessions. That's pathetic.

They scored nine points with skill players all recruited by GRobinson: Nassib, Bailey, Chew, Lemon, Provo, Graham.

Three years, and he's failed to upgrade the talent at the offensive skill positions. There is no excuse for that.

Recruiting wasn't an issue today? The offense scored NINE points today. In four quarters + two overtime possessions. That's pathetic.

They scored nine points with skill players all recruited by GRobinson: Nassib, Bailey, Chew, Lemon, Provo, Graham.

Three years, and he's failed to upgrade the talent at the offensive skill positions. There is no excuse for that.
This really is a terrifying prospect for the future, because we don't need to just replace those guys and hum along, we need the guys that step into their shoes to be a significant upgrade.

This really is a terrifying prospect for the future, because we don't need to just replace those guys and hum along, we need the guys that step into their shoes to be a significant upgrade.

I don't think its that big of a stretch... West is quickly catching to/passing Graham. Gulley was quickly catching up to/passing Bailey. Nassib and Lemon still have another year, but even if they didn't I am not sure why people point to the Robinson recruits as ammo against Doug's recruiting. Its this staff that has made them solid players. Not Robinson. To me, that is pro Marrone, not something to point out as a negative.

I don't think its that big of a stretch... West is quickly catching to/passing Graham. Gulley was quickly catching up to/passing Bailey. Nassib and Lemon still have another year, but even if they didn't I am not sure why people point to the Robinson recruits as ammo against Doug's recruiting. Its this staff that has made them solid players. Not Robinson. To me, that is pro Marrone, not something to point out as a negative.
I'll disagree with you. I like Gulley, but to say he is quickly catching up to/passing Bailey is really jumping the gun. Bailey after two seasons was far more accomplished than Gulley will be. It's great that West might be passing Graham - Graham's our third wideout though.

I do agree with you that Marrone deserves credit for coaching them up to be what they are, but what keeps me awake at night is that the offense overall sucks right now, and we've seen little to nothing of the talent Marrone has brought in that suggests that the talent level is improving. I do think you can improve the offense without a talent upgrade, but that requires some innovation and ability to scheme that I don't see out of Marrone and co. yet. Since it hasn't happened and we're now in year three, well, I think it would have surfaced by now.

I'll disagree with you. I like Gulley, but to say he is quickly catching up to/passing Bailey is really jumping the gun. Bailey after two seasons was far more accomplished than Gulley will be. It's great that West might be passing Graham - Graham's our third wideout though.

I do agree with you that Marrone deserves credit for coaching them up to be what they are, but what keeps me awake at night is that the offense overall sucks right now, and we've seen little to nothing of the talent Marrone has brought in that suggests that the talent level is improving. I do think you can improve the offense without a talent upgrade, but that requires some innovation and ability to scheme that I don't see out of Marrone and co. yet. Since it hasn't happened and we're now in year three, well, I think it would have surfaced by now.

I know we will disagree on Bailey, so I will leave that alone. As far as West, what do you realistically expect out of a RS freshman with two legit starters ahead of him? He is passing Graham now, but will then start to make a move on Lemon's status. That's a good progression.

Look, I am not saying we are where we want to be. But the talent is improving, and most importantly, the coaches are developing them. This game had nothing to do with recruiting, because we should have hung 35 on them. It was stupidity on the coaches, and I believe the tightness that the players showed as a result.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom