Class of 2023 - WR Darrell Gill (TX) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/1/23) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 WR Darrell Gill (TX) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (2/1/23)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m seeing some traction in excitement trending on twitter, any chance he could make an impact this season?
I think he'd need to jump a lot of guys on the depth chart, but if he brings something different, who knows?

Intriguing for sure! I think he’s a smooth burner, but it’s hard to tell with the poo poo pies that QB’s throwing everywhere.

Good thing they have a quality OC scheming guys wide open bc that QB couldn’t hit water falling out da boat.

Really like this pick up. Appears to have very good potential. He doesn't have big boy offers for whatever reason but in watching his highlights and with his measurables what's not to like? Not sure why his HS offense pretty much only sent him deep. Would think they could add in a few quick slants and crossing patterns for him. Absolutely no reason to think he couldn't run those. Just needs to try to add some more muscle to further improve his blocking and release from the line of scrimmage and he should be ready to help contribute.

Welcome Darrell!

I like the pic up, so let me preface this with that. How does a kid in Texas With 1000+ yards 12 touchdowns, and his measurables not be offered by any in state school of any significance?

I like the pic up, so let me preface this with that. How does a kid in Texas With 1000+ yards 12 touchdowns, and his measurables not be offered by any in state school of any significance?
I don't know. But perhaps there was a large class of quality receivers in the state this cycle and teams already got what they wanted. just a guess. wasnt that the case when Dungey was available from the west coast? there was a large class of quality QBs that year on the west coast and he didnt receive the interest that some others did.

Could also be the transfer portal dried up a lot of opportunities for HS players.
Yup, seeing this happen more and more with teams going after guys in the transfer portal rather than Juco or high school prospects. Going to see a lot more recruits slipping through the cracks

Nice! I liked this kid's film / potential as a long-term prospect.

He's a little light right now, but I could see him being a really good player in 2 years for us.

I’m curious if he was an academic risk earlier on in the process?
3.6 gpa. Interested in majoring in engineering. Doesn't sound like an academic risk type.

I find WRs the hardest position to evaluate from highlight film. It usually features a bunch of sprint routes, some with blown coverages, where the P5 level recruits flies by some relatively slow DB.

There are some screens mixed in. It looks like he is good with YAC and he runs hard and can break some tackles. Looks like he might be a decent blocker down the road.

To me, the litmus test is if the WR can consistently win 50-50 balls thrown in his direction. How good is he in the air? Can he hold off a tough DB who is close by? Can he make adjustments on poorly thrown balls and still make the catch? What does he do on broken passing plays? Does he run back to the QB and present himself well? Does he have a feel for open space on broken plays and have a way of getting himself open quickly?

You want big, fast and strong in a WR. He is legitimately big and fast. Not crazy big or crazy fast. But big and fast. He is not strong today and that is surely one of the reasons his offer sheet is not fantastic. It looks like he has a decent build but no doubt he needs to get his weight up to around 200 pounds ASAP. Does he have the frame to do it? Does he have the pride and work ethic to make this happen?

I like that he is from just outside Houston and has played against top level competition in HS. His numbers mean a lot more to me than number run up from a player from a place like upstate NY or Connecticut.

There is no way an 6-3 178 lb WR who runs a 10.8 hundred meters, has a 44 inch vertical has no offers from big schools playing in Texas unless he can't catch the ball. Or the measurable are completely wrong.

Doesn’t even have to be big school. There is Texas State, North Texas, UTSA, UTEP, etc etc.

Yup, seeing this happen more and more with teams going after guys in the transfer portal rather than Juco or high school prospects. Going to see a lot more recruits slipping through the cracks
Not to mention if he shows good signs, they'll just poach him after a year. It derisks things. HOpefully kids remember who were on them first.

Happy we picked another wr, but don't see him helping us in the Fall, which is what we really need. I get a D'Marcus Adams type vibe from this kid.

I’m seeing some traction in excitement trending on twitter, any chance he could make an impact this season?
Highly unlikely, especially not being an early enrollee. Donovan Brown who looked good at times including the Spring game and in fall camp, got no real look during this past season. Twitters are probably just cheerleading type posts I would guess.

The portal and COVID year has really impacted HS recruiting. Fringe talent that would have been looked at will get missed or have to drop a level.

OFFERED> DARRELL GILL, JR 2023 ATASCOCITA HS, HUMBLE, TX
#15 6' 3" 178, 4.41 40, 44" VJ, 12TD, 12TDs, 55 REC - 1148 REC YDS

FkhhnbJWQAE9WJu

DEPENDING ON POSITION THE FOLLOWING 40 TIMES ARE PERTINENT:

GOOD = 5.0 - 5.99

FAST = 4.9 - 4.99

FAST= 4.8 - 4.89

FAST= 4.7 - 4.79

FAST= 4.6 - 4.69

FAST= 4.5 - 4.59

VERY FAST= 4.4 - 4.49

ELITE = 4.2 - 4.39

ASSETS PER HUDL FILM:

VERY FAST
VJ IS 44" SO HE HAS THE HOPS TO GET UP AND GET THE BALL
GREAT VISION
HAS THE DEED ON GO ROUTES AT ATASCOCITA
HIS QB HAS A GUN SO HE SCORES MANY TDS
OUTRUNS D ON EVERY ROUTE
GOOD BLOCKER

6' 3" 178

He's a lean machine.

Transfer portal may play a small part but i think the major reason is the additional COVID year college players have right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom