Class of 2021 - WR Jackson Meeks (GA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/12/23) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 WR Jackson Meeks (GA) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (12/12/23)

I think Long or Gill have the most upside but who knows.

Jones got hurt

Hatcher at the end started to catch tougher throws

Gasden got hurt

Brown needed to put on some muscle

Alford played well at the end when we needed him.

Yes and finally a big strong wr who can block. Sick of these string bean recievers who couldn't block spam on their computer
Agree they need to block but Hatcher was not a big play receiver. Qb play was an issue but I do not remember any of the receivers trying to help the qb. Scramble or come back in an attempt to get open when the play broke down.

Our receiving corp needs to basically be overhauled outside of OG and Villari.

This is a solid get. He can help out on specials, too.

His offers out of HS were UGA, App State, Liberty, Ole Miss and WVU. Now think about our current WRs.

Just because he didn't play that much for the best team in the country the past few seasons doesn't mean he can't help out here on the field and in the locker room.

P5 offers

Alford - Florida, FSU, Indiana, Kentucky, Miami, Penn St, WVU

Hatcher - Maryland, Michigan St, North Carolina, Penn State, Virginia, VT

Brown - Vanderbilt

Pena - None

Jones - None

Gill - None

Long - None

Cohoon - None

The only WR that flashed to me last year outside of OG was Hatcher outside of those two they all should be replaced. Need to get bigger faster stronger at that position. If we are going to a pro-style play action pass type offense route running will be important as QBs will have their back turned to the defense and the WR will need to be where the QB expects them to be.

There we go, all aboard again everyone, this train be rollin'
Choo Choo Reaction GIF by IFC

I want Mews too lol.
I want them all.

I think Long or Gill have the most upside but who knows.

Jones got hurt

Hatcher at the end started to catch tougher throws

Gasden got hurt

Brown needed to put on some muscle

Alford played well at the end when we needed him.
Agree with a lot of this. While our receiver group definitely can be upgraded with more talent and athleticism we shouldn't give up on some of these guys. Some may just need more time. The staff just has to decide which guys those will be.

Gadsden is an obvious talent. Hope he comes back. Keep in mind his freshman season he played in 8 games and had 2 receptions for 24 yds. Kids can get better and be breakout performers. Obvious keep.

Jones was out or playing injured almost the entire season i believe. With OG out I still think Jones would have been our top receiver if he was healthy in 2023. He started out his first two games as 3 receptions for 71 yds and 2 TD's against Colgate and then 5 catches for 86 yds against W. Michigan before getting injured. He is a very well rounded receiver. Good at everything but not exceptional in any one area. He's a keep in my book.

Alford has some abilities. I just don't think he is consistent enough and mostly just seems to make jump ball catches but he is pretty great at some of those. He's not a good enough route runner in my opinion. But he can be useful obviously.

Hatcher has good upside. He was just a Sophomore. He's athletic but had some drops. Adding strength will help there. Got a little stronger last year but needs to continue to add muscle to be more effective. But he could certainly break out still. He's a keep in my book.

Brown can be explosive and has potential but needs to continue to get stronger. He was just a redshirt freshman. He's a keep in my book.

Pena was pretty much injured the entire season. I believe would have been the starting small slot WR had he been healthy. Has two years of eligibility left. Versatile with specials teams as well. I'd keep him.

Kendal Long has shown some flashes as being a well rounded WR. I feel like I haven't seen enough of him yet though to know much. Edit: But he just doesn't seem twitchy enough to me. That comes mostly form my impression in watching his HS highlights.

Gill is a very nice athlete. Fast and has a great vertical. He's shifty and seems like a solid route runner for a true freshman. He shows promise except he is very thin. His strength is the main thing holding him back. If he can get stronger he could certainly break out. He's a keep in my book.

Also keep in mind we were pretty low on total WR numbers this year. We need to increase some in my opinion. It appears we will be adding quite a few frosh and obviously Meeks now. Seems like a few need to go. Adams time is up so he will leave. I could see Cahoon and Long let go. I actually wouldn't be too surprised to see Alford go either. All just speculation on my part and what i'd guess.

Last edited:
Alford and Hatcher actually blocked very well this year. The best I've seen our WR blocking in quite a while.
I have zero issues with our WR’s. Add back OG and Pena we can play with anyone. Not their fault we had zero QB after Shrader. Adding more depth is fine but the group as a whole was young and will be solid with a guy who can throw

I'm ready for the Alford Experience to end.

Would love to keep Hatcher, Brown, and Gill.

Kinda feel like Pena can provide something still and go out strong, but can understand if he moves on. I don't really get Jones. Thought he'd do more, not sure why he hasn't. Kinda ambivalent though.

Cohoon and Long... not sure I see it. I know they have their fans.

Yes and finally a big strong wr who can block. Sick of these string bean recievers who couldn't block spam on their computer
I mean that was Hatcher’s best attribute. Same with Moose. They couldn’t catch that great but they blocked their asses off.

I swore myself off of believing in the elusive Damien Alford breakout for the last two months of this season.

We are two weeks into the offseason and I am, once again, ready to be the leader of the Damien Alford hype train. Next year is the year. I think.

I'm ready for the Alford Experience to end.

Would love to keep Hatcher, Brown, and Gill.

Kinda feel like Pena can provide something still and go out strong, but can understand if he moves on. I don't really get Jones. Thought he'd do more, not sure why he hasn't. Kinda ambivalent though.

Cohoon and Long... not sure I see it. I know they have their fans.
I'm ready for the entire experience to end and starting fresh. If that includes some carryovers that's fine, but this is one unit where we just need to start over.

I have zero issues with our WR’s. Add back OG and Pena we can play with anyone. Not their fault we had zero QB after Shrader. Adding more depth is fine but the group as a whole was young and will be solid with a guy who can throw
I don’t see where all the Peña love comes from? Always injured so never available and even when he did play he wasn’t that impressive.

I'm ready for the entire experience to end and starting fresh. If that includes some carryovers that's fine, but this is one unit where we just need to start over.
This is where i am. If we can get all the WR’s we are after then we have to cut bait. Just way too many dropped balls over the last 2 years. If we can only add a couple then the last 2 of the depth chart have to be let go and the starters are on notice. Nobody preformed good enough to guarantee themselves a starting slot next season. It should be an open competition as it should.