Class of 2021 - WR Owen Fuambu (TX) Transferring from Wayland Baptist University/Offered | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 WR Owen Fuambu (TX) Transferring from Wayland Baptist University/Offered

So, a quick Google suggests he's only 17 now - graduated from high school at 16. EDIT: The same article suggests he's from Lubbock and his mother wouldn't let him go to college anywhere outside of the Lubbock area, at least as a freshman,

Last edited:
Do we potentially have a WR or two hitting the Portal post Spring I wonder?

Do we potentially have a WR or two hitting the Portal post Spring I wonder?
We have a lot of WRs on the roster right now. The kids that end up on the 3rd or 4th string are probably not going to hang out here waiting to move on on the depth chart.

I would expect a series of announcements soon of SU players who had the talk with the staff and want to go elsewhere, where they might get PT more quickly.

Somewhere in the 5-10 range is my guess. Would not be surprised if it is more. Pretty sure this is going to be the new normal for this program and all other P5 programs.

We have a lot of WRs on the roster right now. The kids that end up on the 3rd or 4th string are probably not going to hang out here waiting to move on on the depth chart.

I would expect a series of announcements soon of SU players who had the talk with the staff and want to go elsewhere, where they might get PT more quickly.

Somewhere in the 5-10 range is my guess. Would not be surprised if it is more. Pretty sure this is going to be the new normal for this program and all other P5 programs.

Well, we do run a lot of 3, 4, and even 5-wide formations.

(or, at least we used to - dunno if Anae/Beck are similar)

Unless the WR's who don't make the 2-deep are contributing on ST's, then yeah -
wouldn't be at all surprised to see a few of them decide to look elsewhere for more opportunity.

Well, we do run a lot of 3, 4, and even 5-wide formations.

(or, at least we used to - dunno if Anae/Beck are similar)

Unless the WR's who don't make the 2-deep are contributing on ST's, then yeah -
wouldn't be at all surprised to see a few of them decide to look elsewhere for more opportunity.
Would not be surprised if the lack of separation between the WRs is at least in part something the staff is doing to try and give each WR the impression they are still very much in the mix for heavy playing time.

It might even be totally legit. I expect Courtney to lead the team in receptions. After that, I have little idea who is going to be second.

Could well be a TE from the portal. Or anyone of 10 WRs on the roster today.

I went into the spring game thinking, the one guy I am sure is not going to play right away is Donovan Brown. Only because he is a true frosh who was in HS a couple of months ago. Very skinny. Not close to physically mature.

And didn't he have a really nice game and impress the hell out of me.

Thought Isaiah Jones might be at the end of the depth chart.; But he keeps making nice plays and was real impressive at the spring game.

Everyone seems to bring some nice things to the table.

The good news is that all of these guys look like they can play and that they all seem to be getting better. But I struggle to differentiate some of them from others.

Would not be surprised if the lack of separation between the WRs is at least in part something the staff is doing to try and give each WR the impression they are still very much in the mix for heavy playing time.

It might even be totally legit. I expect Courtney to lead the team in receptions. After that, I have little idea who is going to be second.

Could well be a TE from the portal. Or anyone of 10 WRs on the roster today.

I went into the spring game thinking, the one guy I am sure is not going to play right away is Donovan Brown. Only because he is a true frosh who was in HS a couple of months ago. Very skinny. Not close to physically mature.

And didn't he have a really nice game and impress the hell out of me.

Thought Isaiah Jones might be at the end of the depth chart.; But he keeps making nice plays and was real impressive at the spring game.

Everyone seems to bring some nice things to the table.

The good news is that all of these guys look like they can play and that they all seem to be getting better. But I struggle to differentiate some of them from others.
Tom
Years ago im at an Eagles practice. the coach and he invites Peter Retzloph former TE and GM to look at all the TEs as Dick thinks they are all great and he has to make cuts. Pete at the time was on my board.
Long story short we watch practice and after Pete says to me. got a real problem. I ask why. He goes the bottom line is he doesn't have a room full of great TEs. Hes got a room full of lousy TEs.
Hope SUs situation is different!

Agreed

The one year waiver that allows schools to replace up to seven players if they can't reach the 85 cap with a full class of 25 is only good for the 2022-2023 academic year. Hopefully large numbers of transfers each year don't become the norm or some schools will be falling below 85.

Last edited:

Just guessing one reason Detmer is in Lubbock as he is an Offensive Assistant and Fuambu graduated from Lubbock HS.