Wrestling gone from Olympics? | Syracusefan.com

Wrestling gone from Olympics?

xc84

Living Legend
I may be late on this one, but here is an article about Dan Gable trying to prevent wrestling from being removed from the games.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ble-cael-sanderson-olympic-wrestling/1912517/

This seems absolutely nuts. I have never been a wrestler and don't really watch it... but seems crazy to remove all wrestling from the games. They have shi* like synchronized f*ing diving and no wrestling? Something is wrong here.

I may be late on this one, but here is an article about Dan Gable trying to prevent wrestling from being removed from the games.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ble-cael-sanderson-olympic-wrestling/1912517/

This seems absolutely nuts. I have never been a wrestler and don't really watch it... but seems crazy to remove all wrestling from the games. They have shi* like synchronized f*ing diving and no wrestling? Something is wrong here.

yea, they really need to correct this. It is probably one of the original Olympic sports. How can you have golf and tennis being introduced to take away wrestling, and women's softball? My understanding is they have 1 more chance to be reinstated, so hopefully international pressure will correct this. There has been something like 70 countries competing in wrestling in the past, so it was one of the more diverse sports too. My Kindergartner just finished his first season of wrestling, and the kid has gold medal potential, lol!

I too am flummoxed. Utterly ridiculous. I found it astounding that modern pentathlon, a combination of pistol shooting, fencing, show jumping (horses), a swim and a run was voted "in". Ratings for pentathlon sucked - worth noting they were significantly worse than wrestling. Wrestling is one of the foundations of the Olympics, and is only going to INCREASE in popularity as MMA continues to take off. No excuse for this, neither ratings nor history suggest wrestling should be removed while other events of less popularity, rigor and tradition are retained.

I too am flummoxed. Utterly ridiculous. I found it astounding that modern pentathlon, a combination of pistol shooting, fencing, show jumping (horses), a swim and a run was voted "in". Ratings for pentathlon sucked - worth noting they were significantly worse than wrestling. Wrestling is one of the foundations of the Olympics, and is only going to INCREASE in popularity as MMA continues to take off. No excuse for this, neither ratings nor history suggest wrestling should be removed while other events of less popularity, rigor and tradition are retained.

yep, and golf and tennis already had established professional outlets before they were added. For sports like wrestling and women's softball, the Olympics are the pinnacle and they should be preserved.

Wrestling is the epitome of sport, one on one, no excuses and no one to bail you out of a pickle. This is like getting rid of the 100 dash.

Wrestling is the epitome of sport, one on one, no excuses and no one to bail you out of a pickle. This is like getting rid of the 100 dash.
They will probably replace it with skateboarding.

I don't get it. Wrestling is one of the legacy sports, kind of like the Marathon. Get rid of badmitton with all of the issues that had last olympics. But if you're going to keep badmitton, you might as well add bocci and horseshoes.

They will probably replace it with skateboarding.
On the radio the other day they were discussing adding pole dancing. Then one of the guys suggested pole dancing with different weight divisions. It was pretty funny in a sophomoric way.

I don't get it. Wrestling is one of the legacy sports, kind of like the Marathon. Get rid of badmitton with all of the issues that had last olympics. But if you're going to keep badmitton, you might as well add bocci and horseshoes.

I'm no history expert, but wasn't wrestling one of the orignal reasons for the olympics back in ancient Greece?

I'm no history expert, but wasn't wrestling one of the orignal reasons for the olympics back in ancient Greece?
According to this article, once the olympics went to five days in the 5th century BC, Wrestling was one of the sports. Of course so was Pankration, which was a form of MMA, and then that eventually got eliminated. I guess man to man combat is bad.

http://www.olympic.org/ancient-olympic-games?tab=The-sports-events

I think that UFC and WWE should start putting some money towards this battle since both organizations benefit from Olympic wrestling. This will only kill the scholastic programs throughout the US in schools and college.

Wrestling has been a part of the Games since approx. 700 BC, no . Greco, FS, whatever - as Jaka stated so eloquently and directly in his post - wrestling is about as primal and demanding as it gets. I didn't indicate in my first post to this thread, but I trained wrestling for years along with boxing and of course MMA. The demands, the discipline, the attention to technique and conditioning are unparalleled IMO.

I'd be willing to lend my voice and resources to keep wrestling in the Games. I don't know Gable personally, but if there's a mechanism by which to advocate the cause through him and other luminaries I want to be involved. If anyone is interested I know M.D. at Sityodtong and I'm sure he'll be open to a dialogue.