Wrexham | Syracusefan.com

Wrexham

upperdeck

Living Legend
Did anyone watch it until the end..

Passion for a team that has struggled..

I stayed away from looking at the league to not spoil anything

Some great incites though, on how it is to be in those lower tiers of sports, its like our Minor League baseball but with more dedicated fans

I see they announced a season 2..

Some great incites though, on how it is to be in those lower tiers of sports, its like our Minor League baseball but with more dedicated fans

Just watched the final 3 episodes and really loved it.

A few observations without giving away any spoilers:

1. The quality of play was surprisingly strong (imo) for 5th-tier football. I wonder how they would compare to a 2nd or 3rd-level US squad.

2. Some real golazos throughout, especially headers. SPM's goal to clinch the Trophy semi-final was one of the cheekiest I've ever seen.

3. The Wrexham announcer is awesome. I'm sure it's his 2nd or 3rd job. He's probably criminally underpaid.

Rob and Ryan only paid $2.5M for Wrexham. I think that includes the stadium too.

Those two are going to make a ton of money just from Hulu. Add merchandise sales and advertising.

They seem like good owners. (Well, at least Rob seems to understand the sport and what the team means to the town.). They’re pumping money and excitement into the town.

They’re also going to make a lot of cash off this investment.

Rob and Ryan only paid $2.5M for Wrexham. I think that includes the stadium too.

Those two are going to make a ton of money just from Hulu. Add merchandise sales and advertising.

They seem like good owners. (Well, at least Rob seems to understand the sport and what the team means to the town.). They’re pumping money and excitement into the town.

I wonder how RM even learned about the opportunity. It seems low-to-moderate risk with moderate-to-very high reward.

I was rewatching Ted Lasso to prep for the new season and they mentioned the purchase of Wrexham.

Did the exact same thing. Refused to look at anything online and watched the show weekly and was all new to me. Brutal ending.

I am as into Wrexham "matches" as I am Syracuse games.
Haha. I've ignored their actual games all season thus far waiting for Season 2 to show up at some point.

Haha. I've ignored their actual games all season thus far waiting for Season 2 to show up at some point.

Same. I'd put out a plea for a moratorium on speaeking about this, but ESPN don't GAF, so it's useless. Just like when they ruin Jeopardy.

I’ve wanted to adopt a U.K. soccer club, but could never find a good reason to choose any particular side. I am happy to have one now,

Year one I managed to not know any of the results.

Year 2 was not possible to hide the results but still enjoyable

I see yr 3 is gonna be in this spring so I know some of whats happened but try not to read anything i come across

The show is nothing else is good at showing the passion of a fan base about the size of chapel hill.

can we get Ryan to buy Cuse and create a welcome to Syracuse show, I bet some of the Marketing/Dome issues would go away

I see yr 3 is gonna be in this spring so I know some of whats happened but try not to read anything i come across

The show is nothing else is good at showing the passion of a fan base about the size of chapel hill.

can we get Ryan to buy Cuse and create a welcome to Syracuse show, I bet some of the Marketing/Dome issues would go away
I managed to avoid most everything last year outside of the ultimate outcome so was still decent seeing how it all went down. Have no clue at all what they've now done this year.

I just finished the second season. OMG, what a touching show! So much heart! Looks at the individual players and their families, relocating for a job, and a dream. So many different fan profiles, that they have also become part of the cast. It's like Ted Lasso, but for real. I love it.

And in real life right now (which will be season 3 by next fall ...), Wrexham has gone on a tear of something like 9 games in a row without a loss and are now 2nd in the table.

Promotion to League One might be more than just the one automatic team, now that they're back within the "EFL" structure, and no longer semi-pro. I'll have to look it up.

Here we go:

The bottom four are relegated. English Football League Two (level 4, 24 teams): Top three teams are automatically promoted; next four compete in play-offs, with the winner gaining the fourth promotion spot. The bottom two are relegated.

This should make for less "squeaky bum" time at the season's conclusion.

They also have $20-30M invested, plus responsibility for player salaries (which are typical for 2 leagues higher ...), and they tore down their 4th stand to expand, and first the English government denies the grant, and I just read recently that the city council wants to limit it to about 90% capacity because of waste runoff concerns. I mean, really? These people are really trying to help your town, come on.

It's like Wrexham equals Allentown, PA.

And in real life right now (which will be season 3 by next fall ...), Wrexham has gone on a tear of something like 9 games in a row without a loss and are now 2nd in the table.

Promotion to League One might be more than just the one automatic team, now that they're back within the "EFL" structure, and no longer semi-pro. I'll have to look it up.

Here we go:

The bottom four are relegated. English Football League Two (level 4, 24 teams): Top three teams are automatically promoted; next four compete in play-offs, with the winner gaining the fourth promotion spot. The bottom two are relegated.

This should make for less "squeaky bum" time at the season's conclusion.
You should probably provide a spoiler alert.

Yeah no kidding. I was not happy to scroll through that info. I could get updates if I wanted in seconds but make sure to avoid them.

I knew it would not be practical for me to avoid information, so I used this as an opportunity to finally follow a soccer club. I’ve dropped significant cash on strange European streaming services to watch these games. I have no regrets. I look forward to a time when their league games will be on an ESPN or Fox platform.

We're not even halfway through the season. As Wrexham gets greater press coverage, it will be impossible to ignore. ESPN.com had an article about their last game.

We're not even halfway through the season. As Wrexham gets greater press coverage, it will be impossible to ignore. ESPN.com had an article about their last game.
It’s your world. We are all just living in it.

By my calculations, they only need four points in their final three games to clinch third place, and therefore promotion to League One. Of course, if others lose, they don’t even need four points. A win today will go a long way.

Wrexham won and the fourth place team lost, so Wrexham clinched promotion! That certainly lacked the usual Wrexham drama. They’ve still got a shot at winning the league. The chances are slim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom