Year 3 Tends to be When You Kinda, Sorta Know... | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Year 3 Tends to be When You Kinda, Sorta Know...

So because Stanford has more rich and generous alums than any university in the nation, that is supposed to somehow prove that Syracuse can't afford a head coach from the MAC or CUSA? I'm not seeing it.

They aren't the richest school, Harvard is at $36 Billion.

It's almost comical when you think that before Charlie Strong was hired at Texas, they floated an offer paid mostly by boosters in a attempt to hire Saban away from Alabama. The offer was $100+ million for a 10 year contract.

They still didn't get the guy they wanted, you think SU will do that to try and get a great coach? Probably not.

Who cares how much is for football, they could buy us a new stadium with that money and not bat an eye.

How many coaches' contracts could they buy out until they find the right one without having to worry about it affecting their budget? About 100...

For SU to fire a coach and have to pay the buyout could be devastating to the athletic budget for a few years is the point. That part of the equation doesn't exist for schools like Stanford.

With the factories, Alabama, Oklahoma, ND, FSU, etc. they rely on boosters to pay the buyout most of the time so it doesn't hit the budget at all. Simply put, we don't have that.
If Syracuse offered Shafer a contract that made it "devastating to the athletic budget" to replace him after three years then someone screwed up royally and that's on them.

Shafer had no leverage - no one else was even close to offering him a HC position. He only has the job now because SU got Marrone'd and Shafer was popular with the players.

This isn't a situation where we went outside the program and had to spend big to land a hot candidate. We promoted a guy who had no prior HC experience to give him a chance to keep the program going in the right direction. He doesn't need four years.

orangenirvana said:
If Syracuse offered Shafer a contract that made it "devastating to the athletic budget" to replace him after three years then someone screwed up royally and that's on them. Shafer had no leverage - no one else was even close to offering him a HC position. He only has the job now because SU got Marrone'd and Shafer was popular with the players. This isn't a situation where we went outside the program and had to spend big to land a hot candidate. We promoted a guy who had no prior HC experience to give him a chance to keep the program going in the right direction. He doesn't need four years.

Bad mojo to talk about this on game day. If we lose you'll have lots of friends to talk with.

Go Cuse!

Who cares how much is for football, they could buy us a new stadium with that money and not bat an eye.

How many coaches' contracts could they buy out until they find the right one without having to worry about it affecting their budget? About 100...

For SU to fire a coach and have to pay the buyout could be devastating to the athletic budget for a few years is the point. That part of the equation doesn't exist for schools like Stanford.

With the factories, Alabama, Oklahoma, ND, FSU, etc. they rely on boosters to pay the buyout most of the time so it doesn't hit the budget at all. Simply put, we don't have that.

When you are paying 4 or 5 million yeah, when you are paying $1.5M, not so much.

If Syracuse offered Shafer a contract that made it "devastating to the athletic budget" to replace him after three years then someone screwed up royally and that's on them.

Shafer had no leverage - no one else was even close to offering him a HC position. He only has the job now because SU got Marrone'd and Shafer was popular with the players.

This isn't a situation where we went outside the program and had to spend big to land a hot candidate. We promoted a guy who had no prior HC experience to give him a chance to keep the program going in the right direction. He doesn't need four years.

How he was hired is irrelevant. He was offered the going rate for a P5 HC with no experience as a HC.

Shafer is in the bottom 10% of P5 coaching salaries at 1.4 mil a year. SU still cannot afford to buyout 2 years of his contract at 2.8 mil if they wanted to fire him tomorrow.

They simply don't have the money to throw away. They waited until Gerg had one year left on his deal for that very same reason which is why he got a 4th year.

What will happen if we hire another unproven coach for $3 mil a year and he happens to shlit the bed and we fire him after 3 years of a 5 year deal...yep $6 mil buyout which again we can't afford.

See how the pattern goes, this is why we are most likely going to keep Shafer another year, which I think he deserves BTW.

When you are paying 4 or 5 million yeah, when you are paying $1.5M, not so much.

Not so much if you are Stanford, MUCH if you are SU which has an athletic department that is reportedly in the red every year as most are.

Scooch said:
Soooo this isn't the conversation this thread was supposed to spark. Good work, everyone.

Think most people agreed with your points. This happens to every thread

How he was hired is irrelevant. He was offered the going rate for a P5 HC with no experience as a HC.

Shafer is in the bottom 10% of P5 coaching salaries at 1.4 mil a year. SU still cannot afford to buyout 2 years of his contract at 2.8 mil if they wanted to fire him tomorrow.

They simply don't have the money to throw away. They waited until Gerg had one year left on his deal for that very same reason which is why he got a 4th year.

What will happen if we hire another unproven coach for $3 mil a year and he happens to shlit the bed and we fire him after 3 years of a 5 year deal...yep $6 mil buyout which again we can't afford.

See how the pattern goes, this is why we are most likely going to keep Shafer another year, which I think he deserves BTW.
There's so much wrong with this post that all I'll say is I disagree.

I have never seen a coach defend a forward pass or make a tackle...have you?

Being responsible for the freshman who need to tackle and defend the forward pass is an entirely different thing.

Aren't coaches responsible for teaching and developing these things? And being a freshman is not an excuse more than halfway through the season.

I’m bumping this exactly three year old thread to say... I told you so.

Year three is almost always the year when you know. We knew (badly) for our last coach, and we sure as hell know (goodly) for our current coach.

Some of the Rutgers board is convined Ash has shown "progress" the last two games. I hope a few of them read this

Year three is almost always the year when you know. We knew (badly) for our last coach, and we sure as hell know (goodly) for our current coach.
snotty giirl.gif

;)

Just a waste of time.

We have a young quarterback who has the potential to be pretty special (at least relatively speaking). Four-year window. We need to find a coaching staff that will elevate him and the team around him.

There are candidates available out there who have a history of overseeing high-powered offenses. Don't stand around waiting for the inevitable failed fourth year - go get him now.
ImmenseParallelBlackfly-small.gif

Not to steal your thunder, but I posted the same thing repeatedly for years. Most people didn't care about stats. They just wanted to win right now!!! No excuses!!!

Interesting that worse case scenario (we beat Louisville and then lose ND, BC, and Bowl game) Dino's first three years will be almost identical to Briles at Baylor. Then in best case scenario with winning two of three against Louisville, ND, and BC followed up with a Bowl win, Dino would exactly match Briles' 1st, 2nd, and 4th seasons at Baylor, skipping the mediocre 7-6 year (for us 8-5 in worse case scenario) altogether.

LGO!!!!

Cheers,
Neil

Bees and Cusian defending Shafer getting a 4th year. Wow now Cusian has since changed but I feel good rereading this thread.
Shafer was such a bad hire that Robinson allowed him on a curve have people who wanted to give him another chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom