Yesterday's game | Syracusefan.com

Yesterday's game

ottodaorange

Starter
I haven't read anything here until now, mostly because of hateful posts by ignorant people that follow many of these games (see Bees post tacked to the top... I am sure he has been a busy bee indeed!)

However, some respectful thoughts on yesterday's game, mostly focused on the coaches:

1. I think Marrone can be frustratingly conservative and stubborn in his approach. The most frustrating thing I felt yesterday was marrone's refusal to go for the kill following a turnover. Just once, I'd like to see him throw for the end zone immediately following the turnover instead of running up the middle. As far as that goes, throw the ball downfield anytime on first down... or just throw the ball downfield! I recognize that Nassib's biggest weakness is accuracy on the long ball, but you don't have to hit the jackpot every time.

2. I can't help but feel that Marrone is too hung up with statistics and schemes and sometimes forgets that intangibles often win games. At the press conference he said, "good luck expaining this one." He previously stubbornly refused to recognize that Sales, who I believe is and has been the best receiver on the team, is a game day player. He only played him in the Pinstripe Bowl because of injuries, and look what happened. I mention this because I believe a game day player is one of those intangibles. Although we can disagree if this applies to yesterday, sticking to a game plan is another. Trying the unexpected more often can have positive results.

3. I hate to see any kid go down, and these are kids! However, I believe that Gulley and Desir are upgrades in the return game. Gulley was the primary return guy in his freshman year and has done better than anyone since that time. Also, Desir has shown more promise than anyone else on punts. I also understand that Clark is the fastest guy on the team, in the 4.3 range? We have to do more than just catch the ball. When I was a kid first learning to play the game as a skills player, my father once told me that every play is designed to score. This includes returns! I haven't seen them play in person because I live too far away, so I do not know who the gunners are. But I think that Thomas is the best tackler and hits harder than anyone we have.

4. The TE is supposedly a very important part of our offense. The PS has noted that Stoney Brook targeted the screen and bubble passes, which may in part explain the lack of TE participation in the offense. (I can only recall two touches by the TE) But where was Wales over the middle?

5. Not sure what happened with Krautman who is usually old reliable, but the larger question is why we had to kick in the first place. Play selection is an issue and probably due to rigidly sticking to a game plan and not adapting to circumstances on the field.

6. I think this team is a work in progress and will most probably get better as the season progresses. I still think Marrone is the right guy for the job but I'd like to see less stubborness, a little more flexibilty, more use of the unexpected and a nod to the intangibles in the game.

We went vanilla against SB like USC did against us. We had the chance for an amazing upset and SB had a chance for an amazing upset but neither came through. The results were as expected and we should let it go at that. The next game will mean a lot more than breaking down the results of yesterday's game.

Good thoughts. I think Marrone views turnovers primarily as a chance to rest the defense. Pure speculation.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom