You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

You get another year, and you get another year, you all get another

The fairest approach is to basically ignor this season from a 5 to play 4 perspective. Treat it like it didn't happen and hit the reset button. There are scholarship restrictions in Lax, not roster. If you need to allow an additional X number of scholarships for this the next year or two so be it, that can be managed.

Players and programs are going to make decisions based on their mutual best interests.

So how will this work for scholarship numbers ? Did they work that detail out ?

No idea, but if I had a choice between going to school another year or turning pro, I would take pro.

It's doubtful there will even be pro leagues this Summer.

So how will this work for scholarship numbers ? Did they work that detail out ?

That's one of the details to be determined.

12.6 doesn't go very far.

If they up the scholarship limit by 20-25% for a year, it won't hurt Syracuse any, but a lot of the smaller LAX schools won't be able to afford it.

While good in theory Lexus's points are 100% spot on in that this is going to be both good and bad depending on the team. For example if your Desko with Hiltz coming in is Rehfuss returning next year a help or perhaps a hindrance? What about Mellen and Porter do they want a sixth year of college? What about guys who just planned on playing a regular 4 years ala Curry and Others, are they going to stay 2 more years or will next spring still be their Senior years despite having another year of eligibility. Many teams have these questions. If your Jeff Teat or even a guy who had eligibility in Nanticoke olare you gonna play yet another year? This could potentially lead to mass transfers and kids attempting to back out of commitments even though NLIs are signed. This is gonna be a cluster.

While good in theory Lexus's points are 100% spot on in that this is going to be both good and bad depending on the team. For example if your Desko with Hiltz coming in is Rehfuss returning next year a help or perhaps a hindrance? What about Mellen and Porter do they want a sixth year of college? What about guys who just planned on playing a regular 4 years ala Curry and Others, are they going to stay 2 more years or will next spring still be their Senior years despite having another year of eligibility. Many teams have these questions. If your Jeff Teat or even a guy who had eligibility in Nanticoke olare you gonna play yet another year? This could potentially lead to mass transfers and kids attempting to back out of commitments even though NLIs are signed. This is gonna be a cluster.

It is. Completely sucks but it's almost better to just say sorry and move on.

Oh so generous of the NCAA but there is still only 12.5 scholarships per team which would be spread out over even more players. Its not like college is cheap anywhere let alone SU who is willing to put another 5 figures worth of debt on their student loans to play another year
Glad someone raised this obvious point. How many families want to pay for a fifth year of college?

Porter, Dearth and Trimbo are all true seniors, didn't redshirt so would be 5th year for them
Could they continue as grad students with their usual scholarships? Would they have to be grad students?

It's individuals and their programs making decisions. Some move on normally, some stay, some transfer. It's not a cluster, it's an opportunity for kids impacted by this extraordinary event. It's not a big deal.

If Mellen and Porter don't want to comeback, they don't have to, but if they do, they can. It's all good.

Glad someone raised this obvious point. How many families want to pay for a fifth year of college?

If they don't, they don't, not sure why that's an issue.

Makes most sense for a grad degree but cost may simply be a non-starter for many athletes and families

So IVY seniors who graduate have another year of eligibility to play elsewhere if they wish? If so, gonna be a free agent frenzy for some.
What are the odds that Princeton's Michael Sowers, who played his first 3 years under current SU Asst. Coach Pat March, might rejoin him at SU for the 2020-21 season?

Incoming freshman will be doubly screwed. They'll lose their high school senior season and then come in to college with 5th year seniors and sophmores who are essentially in their same class to compete with for 4 years. So much for doing your due diligence and making a sound decision.

Will the NCAA allow teams to give out more scholarships? Because if a senior class stays, and a freshman class comes in, there’s going to be 25% too many kids on scholarship.

Will the NCAA allow teams to give out more scholarships? Because if a senior class stays, and a freshman class comes in, there’s going to be 25% too many kids on scholarship.
Great question - the devil is the details

Really surprised they made this decision so quickly. I think it was the right one, but I don't think it's as simple as maybe they initially thought. It allows players to get a full four year experience, and for us fans to watch guys for the full four years, they certainly don't get cheated. But the incoming freshmen puts a real wrench into things. At some point someone is going to have to suffer for this and unfortunately it looks like it will be them. I feel like based on some of the reactions on social media (both pertaining to the cancelations, and the extra year of eligibility), I think most seniors will be inclined to come back for an extra year, and take care of "unfinished business". If you're a team that wasn't having a good season, maybe you think differently. Will certainly be interesting to see if underclassmen use that extra year, or if they transfer.

Still stings that we won't have a full season in 2020, and this announcement doesn't change that. SU was at the top but there were a ton of really exciting teams. In terms of importance to the current situation, I think canceling the season was the right thing to do, and this ranks very low in the grand scheme of things, but its still a shame. I think I'm still in shock. Granting an extra year is making the best of a bad situation, but it still doesn't fix the 2020 season.

I have a proposal that if I am being honest probably would never happen, but - what if instead of playing fall ball, you finish out the 2020 season in the October - Dec months? Freshmen would not be allowed to play, but seniors could get a chance to finish what they started. Then you'd have the regular 2021 season as is, freshmen in, seniors out. There are still lots of issues with this plan, as in, it seems silly for seniors to come back for just one semester and logistically you'd be competing with the fall sports (I have no idea how that would work). But to me this would be a satisfying end to the 2020 season.

SU has had the biggest roster in the entire sport, HS, College, Pros, forever. And by a lot.

It will work out. That's what I meant by ripple, some kids might decide to transfer or recruits might decide to go elsewhere.
Hard for incoming class to go anywhere. they signed their NLI, and in most cases, already promised $ to SU as early accept. Puts those kids in a bad spot.

Really surprised they made this decision so quickly. I think it was the right one, but I don't think it's as simple as maybe they initially thought. It allows players to get a full four year experience, and for us fans to watch guys for the full four years, they certainly don't get cheated. But the incoming freshmen puts a real wrench into things. At some point someone is going to have to suffer for this and unfortunately it looks like it will be them. I feel like based on some of the reactions on social media (both pertaining to the cancelations, and the extra year of eligibility), I think most seniors will be inclined to come back for an extra year, and take care of "unfinished business". If you're a team that wasn't having a good season, maybe you think differently. Will certainly be interesting to see if underclassmen use that extra year, or if they transfer.

Still stings that we won't have a full season in 2020, and this announcement doesn't change that. SU was at the top but there were a ton of really exciting teams. In terms of importance to the current situation, I think canceling the season was the right thing to do, and this ranks very low in the grand scheme of things, but its still a shame. I think I'm still in shock. Granting an extra year is making the best of a bad situation, but it still doesn't fix the 2020 season.

I have a proposal that if I am being honest probably would never happen, but - what if instead of playing fall ball, you finish out the 2020 season in the October - Dec months? Freshmen would not be allowed to play, but seniors could get a chance to finish what they started. Then you'd have the regular 2021 season as is, freshmen in, seniors out. There are still lots of issues with this plan, as in, it seems silly for seniors to come back for just one semester and logistically you'd be competing with the fall sports (I have no idea how that would work). But to me this would be a satisfying end to the 2020 season.
That would solve the problem of 12.6 scholarship question, and be fair to the incoming freshman.

If they don't, they don't, not sure why that's an issue.
The issue is you shouldn’t assume kids who have graduated will come back for another year. Unlike scholarship basketball players, most lacrosse families have to come up with a bunch of money for an additional year of school.

The issue is you shouldn’t assume kids who have graduated will come back for another year. Unlike scholarship basketball players, most lacrosse families have to come up with a bunch of money for an additional year of school.
True. Many would also have to come up with a bunch of money to start repaying student loans.

Imagine Dearth, Trimboli, Porter, Varello, Mellen, Rehfuss, Helmer all returning...

Plus about 40 underclassmen returning...

Plus about a dozen recruits...

It'll be a bit crowded. :D
why would Porter, Trimboli, and Dearth return? what are your thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom