You know what we miss | Syracusefan.com

You know what we miss

weakstraw

Walk On
a lock down corner. A QB can line up against us and be worried about our secondary as a whole, but they do not fear one specific corner or safety. We need to focus on a corner who can change a game plan. Worried about tackles, Deion got into the HoF and he was allergic to tackling.

I think a lock down corner could put our defense into a whole different category.

HOLY SHITE!!! What. I read here that we had the best corners in the ACC!!

can someone who has been actually been at the games describe what the corners are doing? you cant tell if they playing too soft, screwing up assignments or getting beat every play.. all TV shows is guys wide open.. Many of the mistakes have been on the LB's though and several against NW were on the new kids who just did the wrong coverage..

The entire scheme for the Defensive backs needs to be adjusted, whether they were in man or zone coverage, there is no reason why in 2 games so many people were completely uncovered.

a lock down corner.
You've just summed up the wish list of 100 of the DCs in FBS. Who doesn't want a lock-down CB? What makes them so coveted is that there aren't very many of them. For example, how many have we had at SU over the last 25 years? Kevin Abrams and Will Allen are the only 2 I can recall.

Getting a "lock down corner" is easier said than done. Everyone we get was probably a lock down corner in high school and we don't know exactly how they'll do until they play. This isn't the NFL where you go and pick up Darrelle Revis in a trade or free agency.

I think a lock down corner could put our defense into a whole different category.

Defense isn't built for a lock down CB schematically, IMO. I think this defense values the CB's to be able to tackle in space and to be able to blitz.

Obviously, a lock down CB would be great, but think the staff values other things. I have been surprised that Whigham hasn't pushed his way into the starting lineup ahead of Anderson though.

We do have a lockdown corner in Reddish. For whatever reason, Shaf & Bullough choose to give 8 yards to WRs on the line.

Reddish is the only true jam corner we have and they don't let him jam the opposing #1. If he gets beat at the LOS that's why he have over help.

When was the last time we had what you'd actually CALL a lock down corner? Kevin Abrams?

The Cuse might have a lockdown corner, only the name of that player is not "Lyn" or "Anderson".

And it certainly is not whomever was "covering" the Penn St receivers and giving them an 18 yard cushion,
which I could not believe when I saw it from the upper level seats. There is no scheme at all that should
ever require an 18 yard cushion.

Kev

can someone who has been actually been at the games describe what the corners are doing? you cant tell if they playing too soft, screwing up assignments or getting beat every play.. all TV shows is guys wide open.. Many of the mistakes have been on the LB's though and several against NW were on the new kids who just did the wrong coverage..

IMO we do have 2 of the best corners in the ACC and both will be playing in the NFL. The only problem is we are not using them. We are primarily using some sort of Cover 2 zone blitzing scheme. Our corners ARE NOT in man, so technically they can't be lock down corners. I have no idea why we aren't utitlizing the talent we have at that position? Wilkes has been burned at least 3 times this season (twice PSU) that I have noticed. I really think we our corners are more then capable of playing some sort of press man coverage, but that has never been Shafer's thing, and we all know Bullough is Shafer JR. So this is not as much on our corners, but more on our safeties, and the break down in communication/coverage between the 2 positions.

Last edited:
IMO we do have 2 of the best corners in the ACC and both will be playing in the NFL. The only problem is we are not using them. We are primarily using some sort of Cover 2 zone blitzing scheme. Our corners ARE NOT in man, so technically they can't be lock down corners. I have no idea why we aren't utitlizing the talent we have at that position, but it seems like we are. Wilkes has been burned at least 3 times this season (twice PSU) that I have noticed. I really think we our corners are more then capable of playing some sort of press man coverage, but that has never been Shafer's thing, and we all know Bullough is Shafer JR. So this is not as much on our corners, but more on our safeties, and the break down in communication/coverage between the 2 positions.

Great points and not something that's been talked about. The scheme seems to fail when you can't get to the QB. Lack of consitent QB pressure has made everyone look bad in this scheme. They need to fix this issue over the next two games or oh boy. I wish he would play more man with the corners and you can still blitz just don't think its gonna happen.

Double like your post on this observation.

Great points and not something that's been talked about. The scheme seems to fail when you can't get to the QB. Lack of consitent QB pressure has made everyone look bad in this scheme. They need to fix this issue over the next two games or oh boy. I wish he would play more man with the corners and you can still blitz just don't think its gonna happen.

Double like your post on this observation.

it also seems like we have been blitzing on close to 75% of our plays. Against a qb like Coulter you would think it may have been smarter to just sit back and keep him contained. Time and time again I watched him throw the ball right where our blitzes were coming from. Coulter was either hitting his hot route, or breaking containment and scrambling for huge chunks. IMO it was poor game planning, actually awful game planning. Like you said I too hope to see more man coverage as the season progresses, but I rarely remember Shafer playing man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom