You make the call | Syracusefan.com

You make the call

GoSU96

Living Legend
Improvement or not?

Two ways of measuring, against where you started from and against the field.

First page is yards,
Second is national ranking (1-120) for six offensive categories.

Attachments

• offenseyds.pdf
    84.8 KB · Views: 88
We are definitely doing better than the last guy we fired, but not quite as good as the other guy we fired.

We are definitely doing better than the last guy we fired, but not quite as good as the other guy we fired.

Biggest failure this year was the fall off in running the ball.

We are averaging 20 yards a game less on the ground this year over last year
and 45 yards a game more this year in the air over last year...

That 2004 O was a bad O that lacked skill talent yet it is better than any O Marrone has had, even though he had more to work with at the skills. So that tells me it is either 1. OL play (which is supposed to be Marrone's specialty), 2. System, or 3. some combo of 1 and 2.

Reyes and Rhodes rushed for almost 1700 yards combined that year...Not putting Ant down, but definitely better talent in the backfield than now...

Passing game was a mess both years

I would be hard pressed to say Marone has more to work with at the skills

The Marrone era has Syracuse from being the worst BCS team in the country to probably the third worst BCS team in the country, yes we have improved. Like I said it'sall where you set the bar. We sucked when we fired P and are far worse than that, after year 3. I don't see what is so hard here, so yeah I guess we have improved and the offense still ing blows, I don't know what anyone is watching if they think otherwise

Put Reyes (Sr) and Rhodes (Jr) on this years team and what do you think would have happened?

Next year is year 4. We won't have Reyes and Rhodes on that team either. And the guy who the staff thinks is clearly the best one this year won't be here anymore.

So what do you think happens next year? Do we trend up?

At some point soon it has to improve or we're running in place. Or not running, however you want to look at it.

Reyes and Rhodes rushed for almost 1700 yards combined that year...Not putting Ant down, but definitely better talent in the backfield than now...

we ran the ball better that year but we also ran it more often - i know it can be related but we're much more pass heavy now

next year the we lose two O Lineman and our starting rb, so either the staff has people ready to step up or we continue to stink. Either the staff has recruited and developed because we are a developmental program, whcih I agree with if we are going to be sucessful. Next year, year 4, is absolute judgement day for Marrone, IMO. No more excuses.

We saw a defense this year and what happens when Marrone guys play when they are not ready

Reyes was hurt all year in 2004. Marrone had two years of DC3 and Bailey. That IMO is a better combo than a banged up Reyes and Rhodes. The WRs Marrone has had are a lot better. As is the QB.

Put Reyes (Sr) and Rhodes (Jr) on this years team and what do you think would have happened?

A healthy Reyes would have made a difference. But Rhodes IMO would not have. The same can be said of the 2004 team. What would they have done with Nassib, Lemon, Sales, Mike Williams, Provo, and Chew?

Improvement or not?

Two ways of measuring, against where you started from and against the field.

First page is yards,
Second is national ranking (1-120) for six offensive categories.

Not really. The improvement is so marginal it really doesn't make a difference.

Reyes was hurt all year in 2004. Marrone had two years of DC3 and Bailey. That IMO is a better combo than a banged up Reyes and Rhodes. The WRs Marrone has had are a lot better. As is the QB.

Bailey and Carter were a pretty decent combo, they complemented one another well. hopefully Gulley and Moore/ Smith can as well. We have to hope. I think it hinges on what Marrone's young O lineman can do. A healthy Hickey, Trudo, Alexander, etc. We have to hope that these guys are better than what we have now

Hurt all year? he started nine games. Better combo?, not from an ability to score from anywhere on the field it isn't. Both those guys had it. They scored 17 rushing TD's between the two of them.

And when they had Carter and Bailey together last year the average was 140 a game, which isn't bad. And the comment was in reference to this years team. But neither was a threat to score every time they touched the ball, which is a major part of the problem.

Hurt all year? he started nine games. Better combo?, not from an ability to score from anywhere on the field it isn't. Both those guys had it. They scored 17 rushing TD's between the two of them.

And when they had Carter and Bailey together last year the average was 140 a game, which isn't bad. And the comment was in reference to this years team. But neither was a threat to score every time they touched the ball, which is a major part of the problem.

Take the QBs, RBs, and WRs that Marrone has had and put them on the 2004 SU team and that O is a lot better. Take Perry Patterson, Reyes/Rhodes, and the 04 WRs on this years team and we still stink on O.

Take the QBs, RBs, and WRs that Marrone has had and put them on the 2004 SU team and that O is a lot better. Take Perry Patterson, Reyes/Rhodes, and the 04 WRs on this years team and we still stink on O.

Jesus, it's not even the point of the post.

Here's the point, the offense is recovering from where it had been, the trend is up in every measure but running the ball. What is is lacking are one or two guys that can stretch the field and threaten to score from anywhere. That's the next step.

Jesus, it's not even the point of the post.

Here's the point, the offense is recovering from where it had been, the trend is up in every measure but running the ball. What is is lacking are one or two guys that can stretch the field and threaten to score from anywhere. That's the next step.

But the point was in 2004 we were a lot better on O vs 2009-11. In 2004 we didn't have a QB or WRs to stretch the field. And I would bet that Bailey has more 20+ runs this year than we had in 2004. It isn't the skill positions that are holding us back. It is an OL than isn't even close to as good as the 04 OL and a system that isn't as good as the one in 04. The OL can't be fixed over night. It will take another 2-3 years. However the system can be fixed sooner.

we throw the ball a lot more than we used to. no we're up in passing compared to the run.

there's a reason i focus more on yards than all the other crap you overlay to obscure what's happening.

That 2004 O was a bad O that lacked skill talent yet it is better than any O Marrone has had, even though he had more to work with at the skills. So that tells me it is either 1. OL play (which is supposed to be Marrone's specialty), 2. System, or 3. some combo of 1 and 2.

Coach DeLeone knows how to run the football.

He also probably had better OL talent - Franklin, Greene, Tarullo, Ojinaka - and better talent at RB - Reyes, Rhodes, Hanoian, and Ferri.

Perry P was probably less effective than Ryan Nassib, and I suspect that DeLeone did not have as much talent at WR.

But he won six games, beat Pitt, Rutgers, UConn, BC and came very close against Florida State.

So, who knows?

Coach DeLeone knows how to run the football.

He also probably had better OL talent - Franklin, Greene, Tarullo, Ojinaka - and better talent at RB - Reyes, Rhodes, Hanoian, and Ferri.

Perry P was probably less effective than Ryan Nassib, and I suspect that DeLeone did not have as much talent at WR.

But he won six games, beat Pitt, Rutgers, UConn, BC and came very close against Florida State.

So, who knows?

Rice Moss was freshman that year, Steve Gregory was a junior and Jared Jones was a senior

vs Van Chew, Alex Lemon and Dorian Graham this year

But the point was in 2004 we were a lot better on O vs 2009-11. In 2004 we didn't have a QB or WRs to stretch the field. And I would bet that Bailey has more 20+ runs this year than we had in 2004. It isn't the skill positions that are holding us back. It is an OL than isn't even close to as good as the 04 OL and a system that isn't as good as the one in 04. The OL can't be fixed over night. It will take another 2-3 years. However the system can be fixed sooner.

We were not alot better on O in 2004 vs 2011..The yardage output was the same..that's the point.

with equal to less talent at the skill positions and zero game breakers right now...

In fact, if anything, it proves the exact opposite of the OL and the System being the problem..

With the bad 2011 OL and the awful terrible Marrone offense we are able to equal the output of the good 2004OL and the Good System that Deleone ran...

I'd kill for Rhodes and Reyes on this team...

We've lost 4 games in a row. Stats or not, every part of the team has been performing pretty badly during this stretch. Just please hire a ST coach.

Rice Moss was freshman that year, Steve Gregory was a junior and Jared Jones was a senior

vs Van Chew, Alex Lemon and Dorian Graham this year

I don't think Rice made the field until the WVU game later in the season.

Gregory was moved from DB to WR because of the lack of talent at WR.

I always like Jared Jones as a possession receiver.

Andre Fontenette was a big target but not all that quick or fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom