You make the call | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

You make the call

Improvement or not?

Two ways of measuring, against where you started from and against the field.

First page is yards,
Second is national ranking (1-120) for six offensive categories.
You have a really hard time differentiating between improvement and meaningful improvement.

You have a really hard time differentiating between improvement and meaningful improvement.

Actually I don't.

Let's see 17 wins in three years vs 10 in four.

Year over year improvement in points scored. 86% increase passing yds from when they took over, 29% total yds, 36% scoring, 38% pass efficiency, 47% on 3rd down.

All meaningless.

You don't want to acknowledge they were starting from ground zero, be my guest, doesn't mean it's not true.

Actually I don't.

Year over year improvement in points scored. 86% increase passing yds from when they took over, 29% total yds, 36% scoring, 38% pass efficiency, 47% on 3rd down.

All meaningless.

You don't want to acknowledge they were starting from ground zero, be my guest, doesn't mean it's not true.
102nd in offense over marrone's tenure. gave lots of examples of other teams in the hundreds that improved much more. maybe you want to argue that 110th is sooo much better than 118th or whatever it was

everyone in the world agrees that the defense is much better.

I don't think Rice made the field until the WVU game later in the season.

Gregory was moved from DB to WR because of the lack of talent at WR.

I always like Jared Jones as a possession receiver.

Andre Fontenette was a big target but not all that quick or fast.

You are right about Rice Moss...was injured until WVU

My call is that the program is better than it was under Robinson but this year has been a total disaster both on the field and off and this staff has a long ways to go in recruiting. But I didn't need a spreadsheet to know that so I don't get the point. This team has underachieved this year and pissed away opportunities. There's no two ways about it. BUT we're better than Grob!!!!! Woohoo!!

Sent from my DROIDX

Actually I don't.

You do, you don't want to admit it though.

10 in four is irrelevant. 17 wins in three years, 4 of which were against FCS teams and don't really count, is not good. He can't even finish above .500 this season.

All meaningless.

Well, yeah. If your kid comes home with a report card showing they went from an F to a D, do you get really stoked by that?

Let's go to the tape.

Dec. 13, 2008 - The simple fact that Doug had been grooming himself for this specific job for several years and has a detailed plan in place to "rejuvenate, not rebuild" the fallen team he once played for was enough to change my mind. - Doug Marrone, quoted by Dave Rahme
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2008/12/lets_give_doug_a_chance_to_ass.html

From the same article: There will be no division on this team, no "wait until I get my guys in place" view from the top. These are Doug's players now, and he plans to win with them.

Nov. 30, 2009 - “We’re definitely, definitely moving forward,” declared Jones, who must be considered one of the rocks of the Syracuse program. “It’s like Coach Marrone said -- he’s not rebuilding this team; it’s a rejuvenation. Even that one extra win on our record is a definite boost. It’s one more than we had last year.” - Chandler Jones
http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2009/11/the_orange_gained_a_win_from_o.html

Jan. 29, 2010 - “The coaching staff we have is a good mix of experienced veterans and young coaches with strong potential which will aid us well in the continued rejuvenation of the program.” - Doug Marrone
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/2010/01/marrone_will_call_the_offensiv.html

You know what the problem is, Go? You're not a college football coach. Doug Marrone is a college football coach. He said it wasn't a rebuild. He didn't look at it as going from ground zero. If you were a football coach, you'd know this wasn't a rebuild from ground zero. It was a rejuvenation.

This is what a rejuvenated offense looks like?

Biggest failure this year was the fall off in running the ball.

Actually there were a hell of a lot more failures than just running the ball. But most of them can't be put on a spreadsheet.

These threads are getting pointless. They all end in Grotto or KingOtto fighting against Go and PA. I'm a big Marrone guy but Bees said it best. It's Year 3 and the way we're playing this year is not very encouraging.

duhhhhh
it's true. http://syracusefan.com/threads/marrones-3-year-average-offense-is-102.9204/#post-96721

even though they've been in the 80s and 90s those 3 years, when you add up everyone's avg yards per game from each season, divide by 3, and rank them, we're 102.

reason for this is that a lot of teams who ended up in the 80s or 90s in any one of those three years were better than that in the other 2 years.

looking at all the yards over 3 years is more accurate than just averaging each years rank, i think. probably because the difference between teams yardage isn't as linear as the difference in rank.

dumb example to make it simple if you have 2000 yards a game in one year and 0 ypg the other two years, you're going to be 80th in adding up the ranks and dividing by 3 but you're going to be 1st if you add up the total yards over 3 years and divide by 3.

i'm treating 3 years like one season. over that whole span, we're 102
(the quote doesn't work when you wrote in my quote so i had to take some artistic license to get the essence of your point across)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom