You people are nuts... (Not all, but many) | Syracusefan.com

You people are nuts... (Not all, but many)

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
So Marrone took Hackett with him?

His star was so much on the rise that I'd have been shocked if he didn't leave for an OC position at a top-20 "destination" school or HC position at a smaller school within the next 2 years anyway. And since that's the case, I'm THRILLED that he's moving on with Marrone... They're gonna be known as the "Syracuse guys" and it's gonna be mentioned EVERY TIME the Bills are on TV.

Hackett just got the OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME and so many of you keep whining about how much it sucks for 'Cuse.

How about seeing things from a different perspective... That one of our own just got a HUGE opportunity to better his life and, hopefully, help Syracuse down the road.

I'm as upset as the next guy about the immediate ramifications with regard to the program, but I'm not so selfish as to think winning in the near term is more important than Hackett following his own personal dreams.

NOT ONE OF YOU would refuse a life-changing promotion and double in salary* even if it meant 'Cuse would win 9, 10, 9 and 11 games over the next 4 years... NOT ONE.

You guys make it sound like Marrone pulled to rug out from under SU... He didn't. And Hackett wouldn't have left if he didn't aspire to bigger and better, but he did.

If Marrone and Hackett can help turn the Bills around, I can guarantee you that ALL Syracuse players will benefit in the future. Every last senior will get an extra long look with regard to a potential NFL career. And I'd be SHOCKED if Marrone (and maybe even Hackett too) didn't give back to SU in the form of donations and participate fundraising events.

Further, now that he's IN THE NFL, I'm betting Marrone reaches out to lots of 'Cuse alum NFLers to see about them giving back... Call it a hunch.

And now that Hackett's moved on, all of you want to look at all these OC's from all these different schools???

Do you wanna know what all OC's have in common? They ALL started out as position coaches. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM.

So if you'd like to keep some sense of continuity, maybe someone here gets promoted... Why bring in a guy from Eastern Bumbleton or Western TexMex when a guy like Ty Wheatley or someone else ALREADY ON STAFF might just keep things moving in the direction we were just 10 short days ago???

Stop acting crazy. (Not all of you, but many)

Yours truly,

OttosBestFriend, the voice of reason on fan boards for over a decade

*Note: I have no idea what Hackett's actual salary will be, just making a point.

I am a fan of the SU football program, not a fan of an individual coach or player. If they didn't go to Buffalo I wouldn't give a rat's ass what happens to them.

I'm upset at the position they put the football program in because all of the "pieces" Marrone put in place to turn this program around are eroding pretty quick.

I'm also upset that the Athletic Dept. has looked like a bunch of amateurs the last week with the rumors of frustrations coming out about facilities, coaches leaving for greener pastures, lying/misinformation to recruits, and making a coaching decision (Shafer) without making sure the other loose ends were tied up. Just a big /facepalm all around.

And I don't think it's over yet. We could see all of the offensive coaches depart before this is over, and with that the majority of our offensive recruits worth a damn.

great post...thanks. To add Hacket is a very intelligent, personable guy who was able to work with and learn from a well respected offensive mind like Doug Marrone. There was nothing left for him here, nobody to learn from. He is simply taking the next logical step in his career path and it will be a great experience for him to match wits with the best in the business. I say congratulations and lets go find some young whiz bang mad scientist to work with the QBs and run the offense

...I'm upset at the position they put the football program in because all of the "pieces" Marrone put in place to turn this program around are eroding pretty quick.

I'm also upset that the Athletic Dept. has looked like a bunch of amateurs the last week with the rumors of frustrations coming out about facilities, coaches leaving for greener pastures...

Don't you think think your first point above occurred, mostly, because of the second point.

Chip Kelly stayed at Oregon... O'Brien stayed at PSU... They don't have to fight for every last dime at their respective schools. They don't have to be an afterthought to basketball in a world where - at most every other BCS school - athletic department decisions are football first.

I know, I know, Phil Knight, blah, blah, blah... I'm so sick of that argument if only because not every school with top-25 facilities has a Phil Knight or Pickens at Oklahoma St... Some schools just compete at the highest level because they realize they must in order to stay relevant.

Lousiville is a COMMUTER SCHOOL and look at all the money they've poured into their athletic department in the last decade. They were in the mother-fraking METRO CONFERENCE not too long ago.

And remind me again who the hell BOISE ST. was before they decided to invest in their program?

Wait, Is Phil Knight giving them money too? Does Pickens have a thing for blue carpeting???

Fact is, Marrone fought for 4 years and the writing was on the wall that the fight wasn't ending any time soon. (Despite what some in here would imply or like you to believe)

How long do you guys fight for stuff at your jobs before looking for new employers who actually have what you want/need to be successful???

I'd say 4 years is my personal tipping point - especially if change 'aint happening.

IMO, this is the best possible outcome, because if nothing else it's a wake up call for SU... And not necessarily the Athletic Department, but those in real power who actually tied the hands of the AD in a proverbial sense.

And the Bills are now coached by the "Syracuse Guys" which, whether you believe it or not, will get mentioned on TV and sports radio across America a ton.

So Marrone took Hackett with him?

His star was so much on the rise that I'd have been shocked if he didn't leave for an OC position at a top-20 "destination" school or HC position at a smaller school within the next 2 years anyway. And since that's the case, I'm THRILLED that he's moving on with Marrone... They're gonna be known as the "Syracuse guys" and it's gonna be mentioned EVERY TIME the Bills are on TV.

Hackett just got the OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME and so many of you keep whining about how much it sucks for 'Cuse...

I'm not surprised he took him or wish him any ill will... but I am disappointed with how it went down...

There was obviously a lack of communication or understanding between Marrone, Hackett, Shaf, program and/or AD officials or all of the above... I don't know if it was simply bungled or what broke down where...

...but it has made Marrone's exit - which I had been thinking was untimely but respectable - lose any luster it had... it now reeks of unprofessionalism and/or simply not giving a rats ass...

"IMO, this is the best possible outcome, because if nothing else it's a wake up call for SU... And not necessarily the Athletic Department, but those in real power who actually tied the hands of the AD in a proverbial sense.

And the Bills are now coached by the "Syracuse Guys" which, whether you believe it or not, will get mentioned on TV and sports radio across America a ton."

Sorry dude, I'm not gonna drink the once orange, now colored kool-aid and tell you it tastes good.

Yup I can hardly wait to hear the TV announcers saying, "the Syracuse guys" while the Bills are getting trounced in their usual fashion.

Don't you think think your first point above occurred, mostly, because of the second point.

Chip Kelly stayed at Oregon... O'Brien stayed at PSU... They don't have to fight for every last dime at their respective schools. They don't have to be an afterthought to basketball in a world where - at most every other BCS school - athletic department decisions are football first.

I know, I know, Phil Knight, blah, blah, blah... I'm so sick of that argument if only because not every school with top-25 facilities has a Phil Knight or Pickens at Oklahoma St... Some schools just compete at the highest level because they realize they must in order to stay relevant.

Lousiville is a COMMUTER SCHOOL and look at all the money they've poured into their athletic department in the last decade. They were in the mother-fraking METRO CONFERENCE not too long ago.

And remind me again who the hell BOISE ST. was before they decided to invest in their program?

Wait, Is Phil Knight giving them money too? Does Pickens have a thing for blue carpeting???

Fact is, Marrone fought for 4 years and the writing was on the wall that the fight wasn't ending any time soon. (Despite what some in here would imply or like you to believe)

How long do you guys fight for stuff at your jobs before looking for new employers who actually have what you want/need to be successful???

I'd say 4 years is my personal tipping point - especially if change 'aint happening.

IMO, this is the best possible outcome, because if nothing else it's a wake up call for SU... And not necessarily the Athletic Department, but those in real power who actually tied the hands of the AD in a proverbial sense.

And the Bills are now coached by the "Syracuse Guys" which, whether you believe it or not, will get mentioned on TV and sports radio across America a ton.

Good post.

Some of the same folks in power had their knives ready for the first sign of trouble. Here, you have all the responsibility and accountablity, stand here while I tie one hand behind your back.

Have fun.

I think you might of left out the Pappa John's angle at the 'ville.

If we get a decent OC, in a year no one will care. However, at this point in time, with recruits wavering, it blows. Understandable, yes. But it still blows.

I haven't read all the posts (who has the time..), but is there anyone here that can honestly say they're upset with Hackett for pursuing the opportunity presented to him?

I hadn't see any to this point, but if so, utter lunacy.

I haven't read all the posts (who has the time..), but is there anyone here that can honestly say they're upset with Hackett for pursuing the opportunity presented to him?

I hadn't see any to this point, but if so, utter lunacy.
I have not seen any...but that is the premise of this thread.

Let's be serious, I'm the best poster on this whole message board.

You're welcome.

And those are either state schools or there were big donors. Lville? You think they paid for the Yum Center?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I can't speak for others here, but I for one am definitely nuts.

And those are either state schools or there were big donors. Lville? You think they paid for the Yum Center?

The Yum center was built just like the Carrier Dome was built. Yum and carrier paid naming rights. Ny state kicked in money to help with the dome and the city of Louisville floated bonds for the yum center. Among other sources.

I get that SU shouldn't be compared to Oregon, ok state and the Alabamas and Floridas of the world.

I'm not sure the yum center is the best example

The Yum center was built just like the Carrier Dome was built. Yum and carrier paid naming rights. Ny state kicked in money to help with the dome and the city of Louisville floated bonds for the yum center. Among other sources.

I get that SU shouldn't be compared to Oregon, ok state and the Alabamas and Floridas of the world.

I'm not sure the yum center is the best example

Correct, the University did not pay for it which was my point in this and many others. So the Yum example is a good one.

Correct, the University did not pay for it which was my point in this and many others. So the Yum example is a good one.
Huh. It's not a good one. The dome cost $26.85M to build. $15M came from the state. $2.75M was a gift to SU from Carrier. The rest came from SU (donated funds). In addition, funding for all upgrades since have come from SU which probably cost more than the original cost of the dome (e.g. $14M roof replacement, turf replacement, etc). My understanding about the YUM center is it was funded totally by public funds...mostly a result of a huge bond i.e. it is not even paid for yet and the the obligation to pay for it is not UL's. It was nothing like SU's experience with the dome.

Funding for off-campus YUM center
The total debt on the bonds, $573 million over 30 years, will be paid through several sources. These include the city's $206 million commitment, $265 million from a tax-increment financing district, $179 million from advertising rights inside the arena, $63 million from luxury box sales, and at least $37 million in arena naming rights. The tax-increment financing district will allow part of the anticipated growth in state taxes to help pay for the arena. The arena's share of that revenue is capped at $265 million, although the project will be able to use the excess revenues to pay down the debt. It is expected to generate $574 million over 20 years.

Funding for on-campus dome:

$11.85M from SU (including funds raised from Carrier and other donors)
$15M grant from the state

Huh. It's not a good one. The dome cost $26.85M to build. $15M came from the state. $2.75M was a gift to SU from Carrier. The rest came from SU (donated funds). In addition, funding for all upgrades since have come from SU which probably cost more than the original cost of the dome (e.g. $14M roof replacement, turf replacement, etc). My understanding about the YUM center is it was funded totally by public funds...mostly a result of a huge bond i.e. it is not even paid for yet and the the obligation to pay for it is not UL's. It was nothing like SU's experience with the dome.

Funding for off-campus YUM center
The total debt on the bonds, $573 million over 30 years, will be paid through several sources. These include the city's $206 million commitment, $265 million from a tax-increment financing district, $179 million from advertising rights inside the arena, $63 million from luxury box sales, and at least $37 million in arena naming rights. The tax-increment financing district will allow part of the anticipated growth in state taxes to help pay for the arena. The arena's share of that revenue is capped at $265 million, although the project will be able to use the excess revenues to pay down the debt. It is expected to generate $574 million over 20 years.

Funding for on-campus dome:

$11.85M from SU (including funds raised from Carrier and other donors)
$15M grant from the state

That's what I said. The Yum was paid for by the state, not the school. Not sure what you're disagreeing with here.

That's what I said. The Yum was paid for by the state, not the school. Not sure what you're disagreeing with here.

Sorry...I thought you were agreeing with "The Yum center was built just like the Carrier Dome was built."

Nah.

I can't speak for others here, but I for one am definitely nuts.

I can't speak for others either, but Millhouse, for one, definitely loves nuts.

I'm not mad at Hack. More power to anyone that can parlay half a season of good coaching into a job as an offensive coordinator in the NFL.;)

I am a little, pardon the French, TOed about the circumstances around him leaving though, but that's more directed at Marrone, who has confirmed why he wasn't one of my favorite people for so long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom