You thought losing Blair was bad, at least we weren't Texas this year | Syracusefan.com

You thought losing Blair was bad, at least we weren't Texas this year

texascpa

Living Legend
Strong had 5 highly recruited players from Florida for the 2015 class. Even described themselves as the "Florida Five". Well, one had already flipped his commitment to Auburn before signing day, one was declared academically ineligible, one is still waiting on clearance from the NCAA (looks like we're not the only one with this predicament), and one just upped and quite yesterday after he didn't get the number he wanted and realized he was the backup to another freshman on the second string D.

Word is his father believed his son should have been penciled in as a starter. lol.

Can you imagine the storm on this board if we had that many problems in our class. Losing Blair sucked but I am excited about this class, next year's and particularly the start of 2017's.

And of course, the only one of the "Florida Five" remaining is the one who flipped from Syracuse to UT.

Ugh.

And of course, the only one of the "Florida Five" remaining is the one who flipped from Syracuse to UT.

Ugh.

lol, wait. Really? Who was that? don't recall the name.

lol, wait. Really? Who was that? don't recall the name.
Davante Davis. He committed to SU early, and then he blew up big time and de-committed shortly after.

Strong had 5 highly recruited players from Florida for the 2015 class. Even described themselves as the "Florida Five". Well, one had already flipped his commitment to Auburn before signing day, one was declared academically ineligible, one is still waiting on clearance from the NCAA (looks like we're not the only one with this predicament), and one just upped and quite yesterday after he didn't get the number he wanted and realized he was the backup to another freshman on the second string D.

Word is his father believed his son should have been penciled in as a starter. lol.

Can you imagine the . . . . storm on this board if we had that many problems in our class. Losing Blair sucked but I am excited about this class, next year's and particularly the start of 2017's.
I work with a die-hard Texas fan. Thank you for this!

Reads to me like buyer’s remorse. Committed to Tennessee and then flipped to Texas in December. Gets to Texas and hates it. I didn’t see anything in the article that says he’s mad about being 2nd team on the MLB depth chart – even behind another freshman. His Dad was quite clear that he should’ve never decommitted from Tenn and should’ve never went to Texas. I do wonder what scheme is the best fit for him – according to Dad the UT scheme doesn’t fit him.

I think we should reach out to him

Can you imagine the . . . . storm on this board if we had that many problems in our class. Losing Blair sucked but I am excited about this class, next year's and particularly the start of 2017's.
saw that - couldn't believe the father was ok with it. article I was reading said look at USF as possible landing spot for the kid - yeesh, great decision :rolleyes:

Reads to me like buyer’s remorse. Committed to Tennessee and then flipped to Texas in December. Gets to Texas and hates it. I didn’t see anything in the article that says he’s mad about being 2nd team on the MLB depth chart – even behind another freshman. His Dad was quite clear that he should’ve never decommitted from Tenn and should’ve never went to Texas. I do wonder what scheme is the best fit for him – according to Dad the UT scheme doesn’t fit him.

I think we should reach out to him

From what I heard on the radio this morning it was much more than "fit".

I don't know anything about this particular situation, but in general I think people underestimate (or forget about) the "stress" that students endure moving away from home to a new place.

Many of these kids have grown up in one place and never lived anywhere else, and are suddenly in an entirely new place with no familiar faces, no friends or family, and lots of new responsibilites. Some of them have probably never even traveled far from home, and even if they did they were with their parents or guardians and not on their own.

I'm actually surprised that it doesn't happen more often when players sign with teams far away from home and get homesick and end up leaving. Though I think it's happened to Syracuse a few times in recent memory (Derek Hines a couple years ago only lasted a day or two coming from California, Jalen Harvey this offseason I think left to go back closer to home, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting).

I don't know anything about this particular situation, but in general I think people underestimate (or forget about) the "stress" that students endure moving away from home to a new place.

Many of these kids have grown up in one place and never lived anywhere else, and are suddenly in an entirely new place with no familiar faces, no friends or family, and lots of new responsibilites. Some of them have probably never even traveled far from home, and even if they did they were with their parents or guardians and not on their own.

I'm actually surprised that it doesn't happen more often when players sign with teams far away from home and get homesick and end up leaving. Though I think it's happened to Syracuse a few times in recent memory (Derek Hines a couple years ago only lasted a day or two coming from California, Jalen Harvey this offseason I think left to go back closer to home, I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting).

I'm going to go in a different direction. With the amount the recruiting sites, parents, media, coaches and "handlers" praise these kids, I'm sure some of them are shocked when they are no longer the big fish in a small pond. Remember, many of these kids have been the star of their team since they were tikes. Now, they're playing with other stars, and GASP, players that are better than them. They aren't used to sitting and watching. It's enough for some of them to transfer. Many of those handle it with class, some don't.

From what I heard on the radio this morning it was much more than "fit".

If he left because of a number and not being a day 1 starter, I'm sure the dad is a "fit" expert dealing with his son his whole life.

This board would simultaneously combust

texascpa said:
Strong had 5 highly recruited players from Florida for the 2015 class. Even described themselves as the "Florida Five". Well, one had already flipped his commitment to Auburn before signing day, one was declared academically ineligible, one is still waiting on clearance from the NCAA (looks like we're not the only one with this predicament), and one just upped and quite yesterday after he didn't get the number he wanted and realized he was the backup to another freshman on the second string D. Word is his father believed his son should have been penciled in as a starter. lol. Can you imagine the . . . . storm on this board if we had that many problems in our class. Losing Blair sucked but I am excited about this class, next year's and particularly the start of 2017's.

Is your last comment suggesting that Texas fans are just shrugging this off? Because they are so much more even tempered than us?

I mean if there are sh!tstorms at SU then there are sh!tnadotsunamis at schools like UT.

Nebraska tweeted out 10 players today.. 5 suspended, 1 leaving , 2 surgery and 2 hurt for the first game..

I think there was a brawl yesterday at practice there

Saw it. Olineman and looked to be a linebacker or maybe safety. Couple punches to the helmet by each, then they were quickly seperated and went to their huddles like nothing happened.