Your official "Should we have used a timeout" thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Your official "Should we have used a timeout" thread

Just finished the game on dvr...

Really feel like JB let his team down tonight.

So much time left...still no clue what Kaleb was doing.

I'm okay with the no timeout. I expect a bad shot by Joseph (maybe we get the rebound), not a dribble into nowhere and then a dribble off the foot. I guess maybe I should expect that...You got one timeout left, maybe you think it's worth saving. I don't know.

He actually didn't even dribble it off his foot.

I watched it a couple times in slo-mo. He looked off, or maybe wasn't even looking at a well established Christmas, He attempted to drive a much bigger man to the lane and do a reverse pivot on him. His man, hmmmm perhaps b/c he's well coached, did not bite and maintained good position on D. About 10% into the reverse pivot, the ball was still on the downward bounce, it bounced back up with the non-reverse part of the momentum aiding it, and Joseph's fingers were reverse pivoting away. He basically dribbled the ball to where his hand wasn't. Terrible, out of control play.

'he's a freshman' feel good perspective grobby cakes comments won't win us games in March. Dude needs to grow up quickly. And as another poster mentioned, he needs to start using his hands on D.

Not too concerned about not calling the timeout, but it would have helped. Needed to setup a veteran for the easier bucket. Instead, we let an out of control freshman, whom was part of many earlier turnovers dictate our fate. Christmas was posting up.

100% yes, we should have taken a timeout there. Down 1, hostile road environment, moderately out of control freshman point guard, a team that struggles sometimes to get anything resembling offense going particularly in a halfcourt setting, 10 seconds left...

Needed a timeout to settle them down, get them set for one last play.

2 freshman starters. Big road game. All of the 2nd half they were out of control, or on the edge of control. Yes. You call a time out. Settle the players down. Remind them of the clock, how many time outs, set up a play, a backup play, etc.
I think at least 80% of the coaches call a time out at that exact moment regardless of the experience of the players on the floor.

100% yes, we should have taken a timeout there. Down 1, hostile road environment, moderately out of control freshman point guard, a team that struggles sometimes to get anything resembling offense going particularly in a halfcourt setting, 10 seconds left...

Needed a timeout to settle them down, get them set for one last play.

Have no issues with the time out. Let the team play. Glad a are taking our lumps early this year. We have a young team that will only get better. KJ hates to lose, this will one will sting . He will grow a great deal from the lesson he learned tonight. This is team getting better every week. Will enjoy watching this team

Definitely thought they should have called a timeout given the circumstances involved as others have mentioned. However, perhaps JB was willing tonight to risk a loss in order to teach his young team a lesson and see how they would respond to a situation like that without calling a to. Just a thought.

I am all in with Kaleb. As he goes, we go. Get McCullough a touch every trip down the court too and let's see what happens.

I think a timeout was the right call last night because of the way SU was playing at the time. Not only can you set up a play, but it allows guys to get in position to crash the boards.

why would we take the timeout on the opposite side of the court under no pressure?

If JB takes the TO, and I suspect he was planning on it the 1st possession, it is in front of the bench.

If your PG is Kaleb Joseph at this point in his career, then probably yes. If it's Ennis or someone, different story. But that play looked like a turnover to me the entire way.

only way to find that out is to let it happen.

why would we take the timeout on the opposite side of the court under no pressure?

If JB takes the TO, and I suspect he was planning on it the 1st possession, it is in front of the bench.

Talking about 10 seconds left and kaleb losing his dribble, not the McCullough throw away

I don't think it's really close.

Would love to hear from those who support the no TO call.

I hear people say all the time that JB has always been a "roll the ball out and let them play" type of coach. Given the circumstances- on the road, shaky young PG, team has 18 turnovers already including a throwaway the previous possession, I just can't see why you don't take it.

I also expect this thread to grow to 5+ pages by tomorrow. This is a message board, after all.

The '96 Georgia game says hello.

Personally speaking, I would have called a timeout given the general inexperience of the team. But it is not unprecedented for JB not to call timeouts in late game / transition situations, in order to let his players make plays in unsettled game situations where the defense is on their heels. It's worked out before.

If only we hadn't turned that ball over after the first missed FT...

Last edited:
On Chris throwing it O.B? no.

On Kaleb's losing the dribble? yes as soon as we crossed half court.

I'd prefer the set up play because Kaleb has such little experience right now.

Last edited:

Personally speaking, I would have called a timeout given the general inexperience of the team. But it is not unprecedented for JB not to call timeouts in late game / transition situations, in order to let his players make plays in unsettled game situations where the defense is on their heels. It's worked out before.

If only we hadn't turned that ball over after the first missed FT...

The first turnover by Chris is my reasoning for calling the TO on the second chance-- it was obvious we were shaky.

The first turnover by Chris is my reasoning for calling the TO on the second chance-- it was obvious we were shaky.

I don't like using the last time out without getting the ball into the frontcourt but I was yelling TO once Kaleb did advance it.

This timeout is not always going to be used, if this was last years team or more experienced team like that 1996 team id say don't use the timeout. But we have a freshman pg, inexperienced team, and 18 turnovers already!!!! In this situation you HAVE TO use the timeout

Discuss.

I think 100% yes. Given the game flow- unforced turnovers all half, including the previous possession.

Overall, I love the effort, but we killed ourselves. Freshman made freshman mistakes.

easy to say yes in hindsight. But it would have allowed them to set up their D and created different pressures for the young guns. For all those who complain that more young, inexperienced players need game time to cut their teeth for fruit to bear in late season games, these are the consequences you have to accept. I realize the original post was not a substitution question, but use of a TO or not is a trust/development question in my mind, similar to the playing time question. KJ will be called on again so now he is that much more prepared...

Sometimes you have to coach, sometimes you let the kids play. After the prior possession where CM rebounded the missed FT and threw it out of bounds, you'd think a coach would want to make sure his team is settled down and ready for the final shot. With a freshman PG with turnovers issues, that is exacerbated even more. I don't even need hindsight, the situational components of that point in the game dictated that a timeout should definitely have been called.

I'm with you.

I give JB the benefit of the doubt on just about everything but I really think he needed to call the timeout there...

My guess is that, if you asked JB, he would tell you that he thought Cooney would have a better shot at shaking loose if he didn't give Beilein the TO to remind his guys to face guard Cooney until he was on the bus...

I would have called the TO and run the picket fence...but that's just me...

I'm with you.

I give JB the benefit of the doubt on just about everything but I really think he needed to call the timeout there...

My guess is that, if you asked JB, he would tell you that he thought Cooney would have a better shot at shaking loose if he didn't give Beilein the TO to remind his guys to face guard Cooney until he was on the bus...

I would have called the TO and run the picket fence...but that's just me...

I'd be good if they did face guard Cooney at that point. Ball should have gone inside to Rak or McCullough. The margin was still only one point at this juncture, it was only after the turnover and subsequent made free throws that we needed Cooney to get a 3.

I'd be good if they did face guard Cooney at that point. Ball should have gone inside to Rak or McCullough. The margin was still only one point at this juncture, it was only after the turnover and subsequent made free throws that we needed Cooney to get a 3.

Agreed! Let Kaleb inbounds to Mike on the move off a Cooney screen with Rak and Chris on either baseline. Mike drives and if help comes gives it to the cutting big from helps side. If no help then its all him. Or something that involves Cooney as a distraction and gets you either Rak set up on the block or Chris in the high post.

The '96 Georgia game also had a senior laden team, one of the most ball-valuing point guards in the history of Syracuse PGs on the court, and one of the most versatile and offensive minded forwards in our history bringing the ball up. A team completely gelled together, late in the season, with seniors, vs a frosh laden team with shaky potatoes all over the court, on the road, early in the season. Completely different scenarios.

The '96 Georgia game says hello and asks why JB didn't call a TO last night.

Duh...you're absolutely right.

In my original post, I was going to write that a TO was even more necessary because, down 1, the first option should have been to get the ball down low to Rak or to CMC...

Then I got confused and thought they were down three when KJ turned the ball over which is why I focused on Cooney.

Getting old sucks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom