Your Official SU-Iona Game Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Your Official SU-Iona Game Thread

UConn needed a 19-0 to end the game to beat Stony Brook by 8. Jalen Adams had 19 2nd half points including 12 in that 19-0 run. UConn does not win tonight without Jalen Adams.

See, the thing is, Jalen Adams plays for UConn and Tyus Battle plays for Syracuse. You can't "take players off the team" to create a falsified point.
I'm not yet familiar with the UConn team balance. My point was that this SU team, more than any other I can remember, is so dependent on one player in order to win. At least at the current time. There is reason to believe that SU could have just 1 loss entering ACC play. Probably won't happen, but outside of Kansas, there are no guaranteed losses. Maryland, UConn, Georgetown, Toledo and St. Boneventure. Tough but winnable games. We can only hope.

Number 4 pick in the draft. Player of the year in the conference. I hope Battle has that type of season.
Yeah...very tough comparison. Wes was in a perfect situation. The team around him was exactly what he needed to showcase his skills, and showcase them he surely did! Wes was one of my favorite all time players, even though we only got to see him in live action for one year. If Tyus was the scoring option on that same exact team, I think we would be saying Tyus is the better player. I would say that Tyus has a much higher ceiling, and is a much more complete player, and a fabulous NBA prospect(I wish I wasn't really saying this :()! He already plays an NBA style of game. Both because he can, and on this roster right now, he has to.

I think there are pluses and minuses to take away from last nights game.

On the positive side:
I saw guys trying, and playing hard.
I saw a nice first half out of Frank.
Marek has a high basketball IQ.
Battle is a very very good player.
Brissett and Sidibe seem coachable, unlike Taurean Thompson, and I expect a quicker learning curve.

Concerns:

Frank was inconsistent, and not as strong in the second half.
Good teams will make someone other than Battle score.
Chukwu and Sidibe provide shot blocking abilities and can probably hold their own against weaker or more finesse type teams, they'll struggle against the more physical teams.
Marek has got to get stronger because his IQ and energy are needed.
I know Gino has been playing on a bad ankle, but we need more production out of him.
Iona didn't use the press too often but when they did we had to burn timeouts and played carelessly with the ball.

That said, they're super young. I think the potential is there, but it's going to take some time. In all fairness to these players we need to remember how young and inexperienced they are. I said it months ago, to expect a NCAA bid is IMO totally unrealistic.

Observations
  • Tyus Battle is going to have to have more of those games where he takes over the second half if other guys don't contribute.
  • Marek Dolezaj is very scrappy and has a nose for the ball. I like what I've seen from him in the four games so far. Obviously, he needs to get stronger, but he doesn't let what he lacks physically get in the way of hustling for loose balls and rebounds. Also, he's very sound defensively in the 2-3 like most of this team already. He'll be a fan favorite by season's end.
  • Granted Iona and Cornell are smaller teams than what Syracuse will face, I like what I've seen from Chukwu thus far especially last night. People forget that he's virtually missed the last two seasons of real basketball. He's not jumping all over the place on the defensive end like he did in limited action last year. He's starting to use his height as the weapon it is and is staying on his feet and keeping his hands up. Also, was surprised by how fast he was on his feet at times specifically when he closed out on the open man in the corner in the first half.
  • Geno Thorpe isn't comfortable yet. He's been tentative to shoot and is trying to force the issue at times. Hard to go from a situation where you are the go-to guy to a situation where you're a reserve guard.
  • Don't know what to say about Moyer. I'm stuck asking myself what did he work on during the off year. He can't handle the ball and he looks lost at times on the offensive end. Is getting 8 ppg too much to ask from him?

I think there are pluses and minuses to take away from last nights game.

On the positive side:
I saw guys trying, and playing hard.
I saw a nice first half out of Frank.
Marek has a high basketball IQ.
Battle is a very very good player.
Brissett and Sidibe seem coachable, unlike Taurean Thompson, and I expect a quicker learning curve.

Concerns:

Frank was inconsistent, and not as strong in the second half.
Good teams will make someone other than Battle score.
Chukwu and Sidibe provide shot blocking abilities and can probably hold their own against weaker or more finesse type teams, they'll struggle against the more physical teams.
Marek has got to get stronger because his IQ and energy are needed.
I know Gino has been playing on a bad ankle, but we need more production out of him.
Iona didn't use the press too often but when they did we had to burn timeouts and played carelessly with the ball.

That said, they're super young. I think the potential is there, but it's going to take some time. In all fairness to these players we need to remember how young and inexperienced they are. I said it months ago, to expect a NCAA bid is IMO totally unrealistic.
Final 4 or get out... I kid.

I imagine ISO-Battle will become a thing and we could have a fuctional offense if Sidibe/Chukwu can catch and finish on the PnR along with Frank/Brissett/Thorpe being able to hit the three ball at a representative clip. Of course, all of those remain to be seen.

We have slashers and scrappy rebounders so our best bet on offense, when shots aren't falling, is too muddy up the game and try to get the other team in foul trouble by attacking the rim and the glass.

At the very minimum, we need a second scorer to emerge after Battle. Frank shows glimpses but I don't think anyone here trusts him just yet. I'd like to see what a healthy Thorpe brings and Brissett seems to have "the ability"...can that develop as a Freshman?

Dolezaj has to play over Moyer. Both are raw and give a ton of effort but you can clearly see a higher upside in Marek.

Our defense could be a monster as they gel but anything short of that and we're in trouble because frequent 3-4 minute scoreless droughts look like a strong possibility.

Our NCAA chances are still very much up in the air. We hit the lottery with our ACC schedule. Pitt and Wake are awful. Boston College are just bad. Virginia will be tough. Those are our 4 home and home games. We should do no worse than 6-2. I hope we can go at least 3-7 in the rest of the games. Maybe better. If we can go 10-3 in the OOC games, that gets us to about 19 or 20 wins. 50/50 whether that is good enough. But at least we are hopeful. Which is more than I expected a month ago.

Our NCAA chances are still very much up in the air. We hit the lottery with our ACC schedule. Pitt and Wake are awful. Boston College are just bad. Virginia will be tough. Those are our 4 home and home games. We should do no worse than 6-2. I hope we can go at least 3-7 in the rest of the games. Maybe better. If we can go 10-3 in the OOC games, that gets us to about 19 or 20 wins. 50/50 whether that is good enough. But at least we are hopeful. Which is more than I expected a month ago.

Your post is exactly how I feel. This team will have to realize its potential and we will need help to make the tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom