You're not going to win often with a stat like this... | Syracusefan.com

You're not going to win often with a stat like this...

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
Force 5 first-half turnovers
Score 0 points off of those turnovers

Credit UConn for an error-free second half. The inability of Nassib and the offense (along with the kicking game) to score any points off of those five first-half turnovers was a bad sign going into the second half. SU's offense played better, but then the defense disappeared.

The team is struggling right now. That can happen. We need a win desperately on Friday, obviously. I think if we can, we can run the table.

Momentum is a crazy thing, especially when you're talking about college kids.

Force 5 first-half turnovers
Score 0 points off of those turnovers

Credit UConn for an error-free second half. The inability of Nassib and the offense (along with the kicking game) to score any points off of those five first-half turnovers was a bad sign going into the second half. SU's offense played better, but then the defense disappeared.

The team is struggling right now. That can happen. We need a win desperately on Friday, obviously. I think if we can, we can run the table.

Momentum is a crazy thing, especially when you're talking about college kids.

Exactly which drive would you expect the O to score? And how is a TO any different that a punt if you are deep in your own territory?

After the INT the O took over at the SU 11

After the fumble the O took over at the SU 20

After another fumble the O took over at the SU 27

After a third fumble the O took over at the SU 49 and went three and out

After the second INT the O took over at the SU 49 and ran out of time, missing a FG

So the O really only blew one TO. That was a horrible drive and no excuse. But three of those TOs might as well have been punts and did nothing to helo the O. The last one, we simply ran out of time.

Just to play devils advocate, you aren't going to win if you allow the other team to score every single time they have the ball in the 2nd half. You can't put this on the O and Nassib solely. As bad as they were in the first half the D was worse in the second half. Shafer gets a free pass on this board but the D leaves a lot to be desired.

Exactly which drive would you expect the O to score? And how is a TO any different that a punt if you are deep in your own territory?

After the INT the O took over at the SU 11

After the fumble the O took over at the SU 20

After another fumble the O took over at the SU 27

After a third fumble the O took over at the SU 49 and went three and out

After the second INT the O took over at the SU 49 and ran out of time, missing a FG

So the O really only blew one TO. That was a horrible drive and no excuse. But three of those TOs might as well have been punts and did nothing to helo the O. The last one, we simply ran out of time.

It's different than a punt from a psychological perspective. It can change momentum, get a team excited and fired up. SU failed all five times.

I certainly would have expected points off of the last two turnovers at least. That's great field position and great momentum chargers. But the offense failed miserably time and again.

Just to play devils advocate, you aren't going to win if you allow the other team to score every single time they have the ball in the 2nd half. You can't put this on the O and Nassib solely. As bad as they were in the first half the D was worse in the second half. Shafer gets a free pass on this board but the D leaves a lot to be desired.

"SU's offense played better, but then the defense disappeared."

Read the whole post next time. ;)

"SU's offense played better, but then the defense disappeared."

Read the whole post next time. ;)
I read the whole post but i was responding to your heading and lead argument.
My point is you could have easily led with:
Your not going to win many games with a stat like this...
Uconn (worst offense in the BE) no punts, TO and nothing but TD's in the second half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom