Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not. | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett new Syracuse DC...or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I wrong in thinking you always have a “list” of potential hires when things happen...people get fired, promoted, quit...

I would think Dino and every other College and NFL coach have this...the timing the first hire took and now this debacle isn’t good for recruiting, spring ball and getting ready for the 2020 season

we can take patience all we want but to be a Power 5 school and not have a key position coordinator in place is scary

I'd assume so and he likely interviewed a handful of them for the job and then had to give them the thanks or no thanks when hiring this guy. So now folks are well aware that they weren't the 1st choice which now has to be smoothed over.

Wonder if they will stick with Stanard?
That thought has crossed my mind. Dino is in Year 5 and if he has another losing season it could get ugly though. He is in a bind. The guy leaving really screwed over the positive momentum. Spring Practice could be a rush job with coaches trying to teach a new system they are somewhat clueless about.

I wonder if Rocky could sign a one year contract to teach and install the 3-3-5 and "pass the reins"?

I'm a fan and always will be but a lot of folks expectations and thoughts on our position in the college football landscape are completely disconnected from reality. In this case I think its clear to see that Clemson, FSU and Miami are in their own world in tier 1 where money doesn't matter and they can get top 10 recruiting classes regardless of record. Tier 2 is UNC, VT, Louisville, UVA. They all have clear advantages in almost all areas over us. Do you actually disagree with that?
Syracuse will never recruit on par with football factories. However the recruiting landscape is fluid. If Syracuse puts together a few 7-10 win seasons in a row they absolutely could move into your tier 2 group. I remember being told on this board that the absolute best out program could hope for was a 7 or 8 win season. I’m not going “Rutgers Al” here to believe our recruiting could move into the 25-40 rank.

Syracuse will never recruit on par with football factories. However the recruiting landscape is fluid. If Syracuse puts together a few 7-10 win seasons in a row they absolutely could move into your tier 2 group. I remember being told on this board that the absolute best out program could hope for was a 7 or 8 win season. I’m not going “Rutgers Al” here to believe our recruiting could move into the 25-40 rank.

Without question. Those schools were just ones with such an overwhelming advantage in local talent that we have to work twice as hard just to even things out. Coaching and scheming are likely the best area for us to be able to neutralize the inherited disadvantages.

Sorry to say but it’s really not. Well, saying he cheats for picks is a bit of an overstatement but his pursuit angles and tackling ability are weak

You know not of what you are watching. He had some great games this year, yes even in run support. You might want to start watching games with someone who knows football. That way hopefully something rubs off on you.

You know not of what you are watching. He had some great games this year, yes even in run support. You might want to start watching games with someone who knows football. That way hopefully something rubs off on you.
(I thought I read somewhere on here that he is a former SU football player...but, maybe I’m wrong. But if I’m right, his initials would tell you who he is) :cool:

Being objective about a player isn’t “tearing him down”. I think he’s great. He just has some work to do to be a all around AA player.
Sheesh.

you said his pursuit angles and his tackling are both weak, which are kinda big things. hardly sounds like you think he is great.

(I thought I read somewhere on here that he is a former SU football player...but, maybe I’m wrong. But if I’m right, his initials would tell you who he is) :cool:

Even if true it doesn’t mean he knows anything about the game or hasn’t taken too many hits to the head.

Stanard can’t be the option. If he is, we should have just stuck with Ward. Stanards historical stats as DC are the same or worse than Wards.

Stanard can’t be the option. If he is, we should have just stuck with Ward. Stanards historical stats as DC are the same or worse than Wards.

he won't be, the BC game was the back breaker. Dino was more than patient with Ward but after that game, he clearly realized that we had to go in a different direction, as in a new scheme and a new voice from outside. We showed with Arnett that we will spend, you would think if a bigger name like Shoop or Barnett isn't interested, then a guy like Clayton White, David Reeves etc, would jump at a P5 job with what would be a huge pay raise(obviously not paying them $900K, however)

he won't be, the BC game was the back breaker. Dino was more than patient with Ward but after that game, he clearly realized that we had to go in a different direction, as in a new scheme and a new voice from outside. We showed with Arnett that we will spend, you would think if a bigger name like Shoop or Barnett isn't interested, then a guy like Clayton White, David Reeves etc, would jump at a P5 job with what would be a huge pay raise(obviously not paying them $900K, however)

Syracuse's apparently willingness to dig deep into their pockets (matching the $900K offer) is going to be somewhat of a monkey wrench/obstacle to overcome not matching/being near the same realm whenever they do end up getting their next man. The guy they offered/lost is only 33 with nominal experience as a DC (to my understanding), so unless SU gets some frigging greenhorn type, I don't see how this leverage that the DC to be now has, doesn't get well played by their camp. Moreover, SU needs to fill the position soon than later, so there's certainly urgency on SU's behalf at this stage as we head into February and Spring ball being just around the corner.

Lol. Comparing him to the #1 safety in the NFL draft from the top school in the country. Not to mention if you actually watch Delpit you'll see that is tackling is a mess too and the reason he's fallen from possible top 5 pick to 2nd half of the 1st rd.
I’m an LSU guy (second) so watched a ton of Delpit. He played hurt in the mid-part of the season and he was a bit of a mess through that stretch. He was also not immune to the pretty heavy criticism on LSU boards, which is pretty sad. Everybody should appreciate their stars/playmakers more than they do. We’re lucky to have Cisco and should be thankful for everything he brings.

I’m an LSU guy (second) so watched a ton of Delpit. He played hurt in the mid-part of the season and he was a bit of a mess through that stretch. He was also not immune to the pretty heavy criticism on LSU boards, which is pretty sad. Everybody should appreciate their stars/playmakers more than they do. We’re lucky to have Cisco and should be thankful for everything he brings.

No kidding. That was my point. Complaining about our 1st All-American in ages and using the #1 safety in the draft as a comparison is pretty ridiculous.

Exactly - your last sentence is a great way to summarize it.

Some people foolishly exclude relationship dynamics when calculating their leverage in salary negotiation.

And then they wonder why their stuck in a crappy job getting paid peanuts.
Honest question though...First let me start by saying I appreciate your response. For the record I have only worked for 2 different companies in my 20 year career and only left the first one because they got bought out, split up, and re-purposed. I was with that company for almost 15 years and about to finish my 6th at my current company so I'm not a job jumper or renegotiater. But I am very curious....

You give a guy an offer, he accepts, gives notice at his company, they counter for a decent amount($2k is not worth burning bridges imo but I'm interested in the philosophy) like $5k. Would you rather:

1. Have the person ignore the counter altogether because they already accepted your offer

2. Blow you off and just accept the counter.

3. Re-negotiate

Those are really the only 3 options I see. That being said I see major issues with all 3.

1. Great you got your guy for what you offered and you have a committed loyal employee. Or do you? How long will that employee being truly engaged if he starts under the premise he is worth more somewhere else?

2. You now have to start over. I've been on search committees. It took us 6 months to find a qualified candidate. Sometimes starting over is not an option.

3. All the stuff you said

Syracuse's apparently willingness to dig deep into their pockets (matching the $900K offer) is going to be somewhat of a monkey wrench/obstacle to overcome not matching/being near the same realm whenever they do end up getting their next man. The guy they offered/lost is only 33 with nominal experience as a DC (to my understanding), so unless SU gets some frigging greenhorn type, I don't see how this leverage that the DC to be now has, doesn't get well played by their camp. Moreover, SU needs to fill the position soon than later, so there's certainly urgency on SU's behalf at this stage as we head into February and Spring ball being just around the corner.
They can play that game, but SU can also say we have 3 other guys we're considering at a given price. We might also be the last open P5 DC job. Negotiations go both ways.

how many years have you played the game? and why are you taking this so personally?

There's a ton of differences of opinion here, along with some ice cold takes. Lets hope for a lock down defense and many wins in 2020.

Posted this elsewhere, but is very relevant here. For everyone who berated the guys who were upset at the lack of a contract/buyout, you might want to read this. If you don't think something like this would have been a major deterrent to MSU, I don't know what to say.
" Interestingly enough, Shoop and Jean-Mary have heavy buyout clauses in their respective agreements. If either coach decides to leave Michigan prior to the end of his deal (both end on Jan. 10, 2022), they will owe the school 100 percent of their current base salary".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom