Zach Arnett & Stop Rate | Syracusefan.com

Zach Arnett & Stop Rate

svennyi

Walk On
The Athletic: Stop Rate
The best defense in the Group of 5 belonged to San Diego State, which ended up No. 4 in stop rate at 82.2 percent. The Aztecs also got off the field in three plays or less on 46.5 percent of their drives, second-best in the FBS. That has to be encouraging news for Syracuse, because the Orange just hired San Diego State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett.

Stop Rate is defined as the percentage of drives that end in punts, turnovers or turnovers on downs. San Diego St last year was 4th in stop rate nationally, behind Ohio State, Clemson and Georgia. They were 2nd in the nation in forcing 3 and outs. For reference, Syracuse was 71st in stop rate and 101st in forcing 3 and outs.

San Diego St finished 28th in 2017 and 37th in 2018. Syracuse finished 82nd in '17 and 47th in '18.

I am really looking forward to this defense

I expect a significant improvement on the defensive consistency immediately because there’s really no other direction to go. If we are going to be a middle of the road defense in year 1 I will take it. I’m sick of the random 700 yard performances from our opponents twice a year. At least be consistently average and that’s a major improvement. This stat tells me we will see discipline and improvement this year.

The best defense in the Group of 5 belonged to San Diego State, which ended up No. 4 in stop rate at 82.2 percent. The Aztecs also got off the field in three plays or less on 46.5 percent of their drives, second-best in the FBS. That has to be encouraging news for Syracuse, because the Orange just hired San Diego State defensive coordinator Zach Arnett.

Stop Rate is defined as the percentage of drives that end in punts, turnovers or turnovers on downs. San Diego St last year was 4th in stop rate nationally, behind Ohio State, Clemson and Georgia. They were 2nd in the nation in forcing 3 and outs. For reference, Syracuse was 71st in stop rate and 101st in forcing 3 and outs.

San Diego St finished 28th in 2017 and 37th in 2018. Syracuse finished 82nd in '17 and 47th in '18.

It is also good news that after Arnett took over the defense as the DC (he was the DC the past 2 years), they got significantly better.

Disguise, confuse, ATTACK. That's what I'm looking forward to.

We played on our heels way too much last year. Need to bring the heat.
But is the 3-3-5 defense a “bring the heat” defense?

I hope it works against ACC offenses, with our personnel.

That's some good, and encouraging, data.

I hope it works against ACC offenses, with our personnel.

That is a great question and one that we will find out. The offenses are better, but so are the athletes he will have on his defense. It is also well-suited to line up against spread-oriented offenses.

What I am especially encouraged by is the relative consistency of the defense's performance. The point is to get stops and Arnett's defense is very good at that. At the very least, we should see an improvement in consistency. Will we ever be a top 10 defense? Who knows, but a consistent top 30 defense would be a huge improvement.

if we had been top 30 this yr even or offense would have looked better

The 3-3-5 is definitely best when played aggressively, imo. Tons of cover 1 and cover 0. Will be interesting to see who slides into the critical SS positions

But is the 3-3-5 defense a “bring the heat” defense?
Yes. It's a "bring the heat, wear lots of camo" defense. Name of the game is disguising blitzes that also account for gap coverage. Lots of pressure from all angles: safety, corner, nickel, edge zone, 5 & 6 man pressures...it's get into the backfield and get after the ball while making pre-snap reads as difficult and murky as possible.
Another thing we haven't been discussing is how multiple this defense can get with simple tweaks in personnel. You can give looks from anything from a traditional 4-3 all the way to a 3-2-6 dime by simply swapping out one player (safety/nickel/lb for a de or lb for a db) while still playing all the same calls and coverages.

San Diego St always seems to have a tough, gritty defense. Personally, I am excited to switch to the 3-3-5. I think it best fits the type of recruits we get.

Hopefully he teaches how to tackle the ball carrier. SU was horrible in bringing down opponents.

Hopefully he teaches how to tackle the ball carrier. SU was horrible in bringing down opponents.
AS much as I love a high-powered offense, I feel more confident when we have a sure-tackling, high-pressure defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom