Zion's Custom Nikes an NCAA Violation? | Syracusefan.com

Zion's Custom Nikes an NCAA Violation?

SUMBA

2nd String
Can someone please explain to me why Zion's Custom made shoes are not an NCAA violation? Will Nike send it's top people to custom fit any Duke student?

The NCAA ruled that because UNC phantom classes were available to all students the biggest academic scandal in history didn't constitute an NCAA violation. By extension of this ruling if Zion's Custom shoes are not available to the entire Duke student body they must be an improper benefit to an athlete and thus an NCAA violation.

Can someone please explain to me why Zion's Custom made shoes are not an NCAA violation? Will Nike send it's top people to custom fit any Duke student?

The NCAA ruled that because UNC phantom classes were available to all students the biggest academic scandal in history didn't constitute an NCAA violation. By extension of this ruling if Zion's Custom shoes are not available to the entire Duke student body they must be an improper benefit to an athlete and thus an NCAA violation.
No idea, but the school has a contract with Nike. Players can wear whatever shoes they want assuming they are Nike's. If they didn't have the contract it might be different.

Nike has a contract to supply shoes to the Duke basketball team. Student athletes are allowed to receive shoes, attire and equipment through that contract. I doubt the NCAA has clauses specific to the method of delivery.

it certainly sounded like these sneakers were custom made and individually tailored for zion. not out of box.

it certainly sounded like these sneakers were custom made and individually tailored for zion. not out of box.
They were Kyrie’s but custom fit (molded).

Does the entire student body play on a team that has a contract with Nike?

Does the girl that customizes Tyus Battle's shoes charge him? If she doesn't, that would be a violation.

This is exactly my point. Athletes receive shoes all the time but any Duke student should be able to buy the same shoes.

Custom made shoes for an athlete that are not available to all students must be an improper benefit unless Nike is willing to custom fit any and all Duke students.

This is exactly my point. Athletes receive shoes all the time but any Duke student should be able to buy the same shoes.

Custom made shoes for an athlete that are not available to all students must be an improper benefit unless Nike is willing to custom fit any and all Duke students.
You’re overthinking this. I can go online and buy Duke branded Nike Kyrie 4 shoes right now. Custom reinforced? I guess I can go to a shoemaker and pay to get it done. Not sure why I’d need to.

Nike-Social-Responsibility.jpg

He’s a one of a kind athlete in terms of size and explosiveness.

Out of the box sneakers might not allow him to perform at his best and be as safe as can be.

I don’t have a problem with him wearing a different version of the Kyrie’s than some 135 pound 14 year old can get at Foot Locker.

but is it technically a perk ? that don't come cheap. something not available to average joe ?
i have no doubt NIKE spent a couple hundred thousand dollars producing those particular shoes.

Last edited:
I remember Nike made special ones for Ralph Dalton at Georgetown back in the 80s. High tops that went like halfway up his leg.

but is it technically a perk ? that don't come cheap. something not available to average joe ?
i have no doubt NIKE spent a couple hundred thousand dollars producing those particular shoes.
Couple hundred grand? Two guys flew to Durham, took measurements of his feet, flew to China, had the shoes made, flew back. Unless they were chartering a private jet there’s no way it cost $200k

i'd bet at least 50 engineers and 400 market and media people were involved. you are naive. i was being conservative. nike is a global brand and they took a major hit. you can bet the clean up cost was sky high.

This was also a major corporate damage control move. More that than an effort to provide a player or team with a competitive advantage. They also need to keep Zion happy for when they are competing for his endorsement services post-Duke.

Better also investigate whether Tyus pays full price for the shoes he gets customized, or if he's getting a 'benefit' by getting a special promotional price. Actually, that's just the kind of thing the NCAA will nab us for. Shhhhh. Forget i said that. He'll be ruled ineligible for the tournament...

i'd bet at least 50 engineers and 400 market and media people were involved. you are naive. i was being conservative. nike is a global brand and they took a major hit. you can bet the clean up cost was sky high.
I'll take that bet. Nike's marketing people are not so incompetent that they need 400 of them to do something 3 or 4 people could do.

I'll take that bet. Nike's marketing people are not so incompetent that they need 400 of them to do something 3 or 4 people could do.

headline news :
Nike stock market value plunges by $1.1bn after shoe breaks...

yeah they probably put 3 guys on it.