#1 2017 JuCo PG Tiana Mangakahia Signed with Cuse | Syracusefan.com

#1 2017 JuCo PG Tiana Mangakahia Signed with Cuse

I'm an Orange fan but this sort of thing is what makes the NCAA a joke. Mangakahia is already 22 and played professionally. She'll be 25 as a senior. It may be playing by the rules, or keeping up with everyone else - but watching some of SU's programs (e.g., women's field hockey, men's soccer) become havens for over-aged foreigners disappoints me. I am not anti-foreigner, it just is not the way NCAA college sports are (were) meant to be played. Every one want to see the football program recruit more locals or NYS kids, meanwhile the field hockey team has 8 Europeans and the men's soccer team has 13 foreigners. And most of the time these players are at least 2 years older than their American counterparts so they're playing college sports at 25 as seniors. Ridiculous.

I'm an Orange fan but this sort of thing is what makes the NCAA a joke. Mangakahia is already 22 and played professionally. She'll be 25 as a senior. It may be playing by the rules, or keeping up with everyone else - but watching some of SU's programs (e.g., women's field hockey, men's soccer) become havens for over-aged foreigners disappoints me. I am not anti-foreigner, it just is not the way NCAA college sports are (were) meant to be played. Every one want to see the football program recruit more locals or NYS kids, meanwhile the field hockey team has 8 Europeans and the men's soccer team has 13 foreigners. And most of the time these players are at least 2 years older than their American counterparts so they're playing college sports at 25 as seniors. Ridiculous.

I think you had better take another look at all college sports all over this country. Rosters in all sports have international kids. There is no NCAA rule about limiting individuals coming to this country to get an education and to play a sport nor was it set up to be selective as to what your country of origin was. I don't see you complaining about the roster of our Mens' BB or FB team. Or were you one of those joking about how old Estime was and his lack of proper English in this twitter?

Sorry, but I don't agree with any of this. We recruit foreign players in FH & Soccer because that's where the talent is. The majority of these student-athletes are using the sport as a means to get a quality education paid for. Look at college hockey, many of the American players play a few years of Juniors & enter college as 20-21 yr old Freshman. Many American lacrosse players are held back a grade &/or do a PG year & then redshirt on-top of that & will be 23-25 yr old Seniors. Kids in every sport are held back & play their senior season of HS as 19 yr olds (I turned 17 in August prior to my senior HS football season, some kids were nearly 2 years older even though we were in the same class). It's not just "foreigners"...remember, Chris Weinke arrived at FSU as a 25 yr old after spending 6 yrs in the Blue Jays' farm system, won a title at 27, & won the Heisman at 28. Brandon Weeden did similar at OK St. & Arizona has a 26 yr old Freshman QB this year, Donovan Tate, who was the former #3 pick in the '09 MLB draft & can walk on because the Padres are contractually obligated to pay for his education. These are obviously outliers but my point is that everyone, regardless of their geographic origins, has different circumstances &, as you acknowledged, SU isn't doing anything that every other program isn't.

EDIT: Also, just for the record, Tiana won't turn 25 until after her senior season on April 21st...she can help us win a title as a 24 yr old ;)

Last edited:
so she will be 24, if a kid turns 18 in HS as many do and RS in college they will be 23 when they graduate. what does 1 yr older really mean to this ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom