10 things to watch for in ACC Basketball | Syracusefan.com

10 things to watch for in ACC Basketball

Join the club but this duke team can be scary good and very exciting

This Duke team screams “me, me, me” to me.

Doubt zion and barrett will be dynamic together once they play real p5 teams.

Well, what I'm going to be watching for is a favorable answer to the question of whether or not Jim Boeheim's team of experienced second-tier-talent players can beat Duke's collection of first-rank first-tier talent even once.

After all, last year in the NCAAT, Syracuse threatened to defeat a nearly-as-talented Duke team right up to the end of the game, before finally succumbing to Duke's clear advantages.

But what about this year? Syracuse has that same team back, with a year of experience figuring out how to beat top-ranked teams like MSU. Yes, Syracuse has second-tier talent, but that talent is not all that incapable if/when it is developed and organized by a genius coach into a formidable force on the court. How else was Syracuse able to defeat MSU on their home court when all the money was on the line?

We won't know the answer for a while, but I've got a real good feeling about this team. I've seen what Boeheim's been able to do when he's had enough time to teach second-tier talent how to win with his scheme. I expect to see the improvement we saw last year---over the course of a season---to continue this season, only from a more advanced base starting point.

Then factor in the fact that Duke's talented superstars, while they can be expected to offensively dominate anyone they go up against one-on-one, may not be able to acquire the kind of experience as a team they will need to overcome Syracuse's zone.

It's true that K is teaching Boeheim's zone to his first-tier players so they won't be clueless as to how to attack it, but will it be enough? Will Syracuse's extra year of experience + individual player development be enough to give them the edge? That is the big question I am hoping to see a favorable answer to this ACC season.

Because Jim is such a great teacher of the game of basketball, I won't be at all surprised to see Syracuse's 3-pt offense click this year like a well-oiled machine. And the defense...I expect to see domination, the likes of which we have never seen before from a Boeheim team. If those two things happen...watch out!

Will it be enough to give this team multiple wins over those ACC teams stocked with more first-tier talent than Syracuse---Duke, N. Carolina, and Virginia? I can't wait to find out...

Last edited:
last year's dook *team* was better than this one will be. that was K's best defensive team in ages and had an almost perfect blend of older players/frosh plus multiple shooters - I'll be VERY surprised if they are anywhere near as good defensively this year, or have any legit 3pt threats in their starting 5

Lol when have they gotten the three top recruits in the nation recently? I mean it is objectively different that past years.

Lol when have they gotten the three top recruits in the nation recently? I mean it is objectively different that past years.

I don’t buy the hype. They’ll be good, but they aren’t Cal’s team that went undefeated. They’ll lose games. Heck I like our chances to beat them a couple times because of our Defense.

They had the number one overall player last year, number one pg(who was Incredibly overrated), and best center in the class.

Not much difference if you ask me. College talent can beat NBA talent anyway.

As far as Canada goes they played the smurfs and didn’t even play Carleton.

I don’t buy the hype. They’ll be good, but they aren’t Cal’s team that went undefeated. They’ll lose games. Heck I like our chances to beat them a couple times because of our Defense.

They had the number one overall player last year, number one pg(who was Incredibly overrated), and best center in the class.

Not much difference if you ask me. College talent can beat NBA talent anyway.

As far as Canada goes they played the smurfs and didn’t even play Carleton.
Ya I didn’t get a chance to barely see any of that joke. But I’ve seen enough film of Barrett to think he’s the best prospect in years imho
Zion is the most hyped recruit of the Instagram era.
Cam reddish is only a few steps behind Barrett. It will be the most different duke team in years.
Love to hate them and hope they go winless but it’s just different. Oh well

Ya I didn’t get a chance to barely see any of that joke. But I’ve seen enough film of Barrett to think he’s the best prospect in years imho
Zion is the most hyped recruit of the Instagram era.
Cam reddish is only a few steps behind Barrett. It will be the most different duke team in years.
Love to hate them and hope they go winless but it’s just different. Oh well
anyone that knows anything would be dumb to doubt each of those guys' raw talent. but to repeat, i do doubt how well they can mesh together as a team, how they'll play defense, what kind of lead guard play they'll have and how well they'll shoot

This Duke team screams “me, me, me” to me.

Doubt zion and barrett will be dynamic together once they play real p5 teams.

Why would they struggle against “real” P5 teams? They have like 3 lottery picks on the team lol and a great coaching staff. I’m not saying they will go 31-2 but they will win plenty of games against “real” P5 teams. They could very well overwhelm many. Your constant orange-goggled schticks and anti-anything not Syracuse is quite entertaining. :bat:

Last edited:
Why would they struggle against “real” P5 teams? They have like 3 lottery picks on the team lol and a great coaching staff. I’m not saying they will go 31-2 but they will win plenty of games against “real” P5 teams. Your constant orange-goggled schticks and anti-anything not Syracuse is quite entertaining. :bat:

They have a lot of ball dominant players with goals above winning an ncaa championship. Until they prove they can play together they just seem like another 1 and done team. Grayson isnt there leading them this year

7 of the last 8 championship contenders were built on chemistry and experience. Not stud freshmen

They have a lot of ball dominant players with goals above winning an ncaa championship. Until they prove they can play together they just seem like another 1 and done team. Grayson isnt there leading them this year

Wow. Valid point about Grayson but I expect them to be very good. All these guys come in ball dominant. Say what you want but Cal and Coach K are excellent about buying in, unselfishness, and you better be moving the ball. None of those teams ball stop constantly unlike (cough-cough) another team I know. We’ll see.

I can’t get over the fact the Barrett was so inefficient in the EYBL. He shot a 43/28/58 split and Doncic dominated the Euro league. No comparison.

True. But look how Bazely did in EYBL. VERY good. But, it seems obvious that he needs a lot of work on his game, strength improvements, etc., to be a force on the college level. There would’ve been a BIG learning curve for him here. I don’t see many scouts and the Givonys criticizing Barrett. He’ll be fine. Probably not Doncic good like you say.

I can’t get over the fact the Barrett was so inefficient in the EYBL. He shot a 43/28/58 split and Doncic dominated the Euro league. No comparison.
Barret led EYBL in scoring and is a great defender.
I think doncic shot close to 50% from the field last year which is pretty impressive.

Barret led EYBL in scoring and is a great defender.
I think doncic shot close to 50% from the field last year which is pretty impressive.

Correct, but efficiency matters. Same for reddish. They’re great prospects though.

Correct, but efficiency matters. Same for reddish. They’re great prospects though.
My league pass has been so spotty this year and haven’t been able to even catch a mavs game to watch him, how is he translating?

My league pass has been so spotty this year and haven’t been able to even catch a mavs game to watch him, how is he translating?

How/what platform are you watching League Pass on?