$10m buyout | Syracusefan.com

$10m buyout

moqui

generational talent
i've been busting on pitt & uconn for their buyouts, but it turns out it is a standard inclusion in most coach contracts. they are 2 way buyouts that also protect the schools if someone tries to hire their coach away

I would love to know if JB has a buyout clause, and if so, what the number is.

i've been busting on pitt & uconn for their buyouts, but it turns out it is a standard inclusion in most coach contracts. they are 2 way buyouts that also protect the schools if someone tries to hire their coach away

This is a good excuse for these buyouts but I don’t buy for a second that the school gets nearly as much as the coach does from these provisions.

First, I doubt the coach buyouts really dissuade many suitors.

Second, in part they don’t dissuade people because as a practical matter the schools’ leverage if a coach wants to leave is never going to be great. Coach says “I got this job I want to take. I’ll agree to a buyout at a 50 percent haircut. Or I’ll stick around and make us both miserable.”

Third, in contrast the leverage for a fired coach is surprisingly high - they don’t have much to lose by holding the line on the buyout.

Fourth, if you accept that the buyouts don’t have a major disincentive effect on coaches thinking of leaving, then you have to ask what is the school really getting out of it - and at most it’s a couple million bucks that won’t materially change anything in the scheme of things. In contrast, the coach is getting an awful lot - major downside protection when things go wrong. It shouldn’t be an equal trade.

Fifth, the buyouts force schools into unseemly litigation that is almost all downside.

This is a good excuse for these buyouts but I don’t buy for a second that the school gets nearly as much as the coach does from these provisions.

First, I doubt the coach buyouts really dissuade many suitors.

Second, in part they don’t dissuade people because as a practical matter the schools’ leverage if a coach wants to leave is never going to be great. Coach says “I got this job I want to take. I’ll agree to a buyout at a 50 percent haircut. Or I’ll stick around and make us both miserable.”

Third, in contrast the leverage for a fired coach is surprisingly high - they don’t have much to lose by holding the line on the buyout.

Fourth, if you accept that the buyouts don’t have a major disincentive effect on coaches thinking of leaving, then you have to ask what is the school really getting out of it - and at most it’s a couple million bucks that won’t materially change anything in the scheme of things. In contrast, the coach is getting an awful lot - major downside protection when things go wrong. It shouldn’t be an equal trade.

Fifth, the buyouts force schools into unseemly litigation that is almost all downside.
in athe garry parish article posted by msorange last week, it was told that the former pitt ad encouraged jamie dixon to leave by offering to drastically lower his buyout

if you are paying coach X 5 million and the buyout is 5 million that means you can replace X with Y and offer 6 million and or pay his buyoyt. its not so much to stop the leaving as is to help the replaceing in some cases.

How many coaches in college basketball are making 5 million. There are like 5 people. My brother was an assistant coach for close to 10 years so maybe my view is different because of it. They can literally fire you whenever they want. One of my brothers best friends was convinced for like 2 years they were getting fired and they eventually did. He was a 2nd assistant on a smaller division 1 school and probably made like 75k to 100k. Then he loses his job with a 2 year old kid. He was able to find another job during the off season but it was touch and go for about 30 days. No matter who you are you are almost always 2 bad years away from unemployment.