11 am tip off this weekend? | Syracusefan.com

11 am tip off this weekend?

PhatOrange

Living Legend
what's with our screwy start times for some games this year? I thought 3:30p on Monday was ridiculous and the place would be a tomb - I was wrong but still - why 11 am or is that wrong?

They have had an 11AM game every week. We just got it this week.

i think there is a sixers game in the evening, not sure if that affected the start time also

Yep get ready for a ugly 1H. Every 11am game I've watched this year has been bad.

These guys aren't used to playing this early in the day.

what's with our screwy start times for some games this year? I thought 3:30p on Monday was ridiculous and the place would be a tomb - I was wrong but still - why 11 am or is that wrong?

It was only 3:30 on Monday because Monday was Martin Luther King day.

The vast majority of basketball games played on MLK day, both college and pro, ALWAYS tip off at a "matinee" afternoon time. If you were an NBA fan you might have caught that.

The Knicks have played an afternoon game at the Garden for years on MLK day.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/sto...es-tradition-history-american-sporting-fabric

"Making Martin Luther King Day matinee games a destination for sports fans, in person and at home, have gone a long way toward establishing that. The Knicks have played an afternoon game at Madison Square Garden on the holiday for years. The current streak is 14 years, including today’s game against their new city rivals, the Nets (predating Memphis joining the NBA in 2001, actually). But they actually go back earlier than that. The 1990 game, in fact, was also the birthday of what’s known as the Trent Tucker rule (he was the last player to get away with catching and shooting a game-winning jumper with 0.1 seconds left on the clock). The subsequent rule, about not being able to do that under 0.3 seconds, is known by heart by all NBA fans. So is the notion that Martin Luther King Day is special."

These ridiculous start times are really starting to get to me. Ok I know Monday was MLK day but I don't care, I had to work and so did most of the people I know. Also not everyone lives in the eastern time zone this I now a 2:30 weekday game for me followed up by a 10:00 am Saturday game all in the same week. Thank god I don't live on the west coast yuck!

These ridiculous start times are really starting to get to me. Ok I know Monday was MLK day but I don't care, I had to work and so did most of the people I know. Also not everyone lives in the eastern time zone this I now a 2:30 weekday game for me followed up by a 10:00 am Saturday game all in the same week. Thank god I don't live on the west coast yuck!

Sucks for you dude. There's an East Coast Bias in terms of sports. It's just the way it is.

Almost all colleges, universities and other K-12 schools are off on MLK day. It's a federal holiday. Don't be pissed because the job that you have doesn't recognize that. It's not the schedule makers fault.

Sports on other national holidays are usually staggered throughout the day (i.e. NFL on Thanksgiving, MLB on the 4th of July, etc.)

This isn't going to change any time soon.

Sucks for you dude. There's an East Coast Bias in terms of sports. It's just the way it is.

Ha, yeah, especially in a conference called "The Big East"

Almost all colleges, universities and other K-12 schools are off on MLK day. It's a federal holiday. Don't be pissed because the job that you have doesn't recognize that. It's not the schedule makers fault.

Yeah i was kinda surprised reading the board how many people werent off on MLK day

Yeah i was kinda surprised reading the board how many people werent off on MLK day
somebody has to make the popcorn and collect the tickets at the movies.

We were open. I took it off but our office was open. I'm actually surprised so many people were closed to be honest with you.

sure there are, you just have to poke around

I can normally get into the bar at 8am as the cooks get there at 7:45.. Unless a cook wants to go in early, I'll be watching at the house.

Sports on other national holidays are usually staggered throughout the day (i.e. NFL on Thanksgiving, MLB on the 4th of July, etc.)

This isn't going to change any time soon.
what colleges/universities got MLK off? Wasn't SU in session? I know we were

#firstworldproblems

11am is crazy, cant believe im gonna be in an arena at like 1045am

what colleges/universities got MLK off? Wasn't SU in session? I know we were

In session, but offices were closed and there were no classes held.

(And, as anyone who trekked to the game noticed, the snow removal staff must have had the day off, too. Though the DPS employees who sit in their running cars outside the Dome and do nothing did appear to be on the clock that day.)

i suppose the bright side would be that come tourney time you've already experienced playing in most of the tipoff slots.

But the ski slopes open at 9:00.

looking like a low of -44 on Saturday. This guy isnt skiing this weekend lol. I didnt bring my skis up here because I didnt know what to expect. The hill on base isnt anything exciting, I know we have two off post that I hear are decent. Anything good down your way?

looking like a low of -44 on Saturday. This guy isnt skiing this weekend lol. I didnt bring my skis up here because I didnt know what to expect. The hill on base isnt anything exciting, I know we have two off post that I hear are decent. Anything good down your way?

Wuss...

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom