14 foreigners drafted | Syracusefan.com

14 foreigners drafted

stuckinbig11

All American
and likely a similar number of early-entry college kids that did not get drafted. Do their handlers ever tell them that some teams will take a wild chance on someone that may never set foot in the U.S. before they select a college kid destined for the D-League?

Jobs.jpg

Scratching my head over many of these picks. Need some NBA GM to explain the logic of picking a player who will most probably never get near the NBA.

Scratching my head over many of these picks. Need some NBA GM to explain the logic of picking a player who will most probably never get near the NBA.
Doesn't hurt their salary cap and the rights to the pick may actually have value, for which they don't have to pay anything at the current time.

Doesn't hurt their salary cap and the rights to the pick may actually have value, for which they don't have to pay anything at the current time.
Are you suggesting that DOLLARS talk?

Just look at Mirotic and Chicago. Tells you all you need to know about foreign players and the advantage of drafting/stashing them.

Which picks are you confused about? Obviously the Brazilian dude going #20 was a reach, but he was going to be drafted at some point anyways. There was one other Serbian or Croatian guy that I hadn't heard of, but the vast majority of them were expected to get drafted the entire time anyways and are all very nice prospects.

If this was 1989 and you made that comment I'd understand, but look at the current NBA rosters and it will be hard to find a team with less than 3-4 Euro's on them. A lot of these guys do get here and do end up playing. I think Fredric Weis never playing and being a high pick for the team closest to home really created a stigma of Euro players.

Some teams have cap issues, so rather than sign someone who is going to take up a roster spot, they can stash a guy over in europe for a couple of years.

F Europe. Go America.

That is all.

IraSez said:

Kicking the $$$ down the road.

another reason why you shouldn't put much stock in mock drafts. 99% of the clowns writing these have no idea who these foreign dudes are.

I kind of have an issue with the whole "stashing" foreign players thing. IMO, you should only have the rights to these guys for one year after you draft them. If they don't sign within that year, then you lose their rights. It might force some teams to actually draft some college players instead of taking fliers on foreign guys who are low risk and may never even show up in the country.

I kind of have an issue with the whole "stashing" foreign players thing. IMO, you should only have the rights to these guys for one year after you draft them. If they don't sign within that year, then you lose their rights. It might force some teams to actually draft some college players instead of taking fliers on foreign guys who are low risk and may never even show up in the country.

The owners don't care about drafting more college players though, It's about adding value or keeping salary cap low to get a star free agent.

Actually for a second rounder it has absolutely nothing to do with the salary cap. Second rounders generally get the minimum, and if a team leaves the roster spot blank you still need to place a minimum cap hold for the purposes of the cap.

Teams can only have 15 players on the roster.

Generally, a college player has to make the 15 man roster in the next year or the team loses his rights. Not the case for Euro second rounders, who do not need to be stored on 15 man rosters. So you can let them grow -- they could get better, and become a trade chip or a player... or they just disappear.

In the current format it just makes more sense to draft a Euro instead of a college player. You try to bring a couple decent college players to fight for the last roster spots as undrafted free agents.

All this being said the stashed second round euro's are not taking jobs away from Americans or college players as they are not on the 15 man rosters anyway.

Last edited:
jncuse said:
Actually for a second rounder it has absolutely nothing to do with the salary cap. Second rounders generally get the minimum, and if a team leaves the roster spot blank you still need to place a minimum cap hold for the purposes of the cap.

Teams can only have 15 players on the roster.

Generally, a college player has to make the 15 man roster in the next year or the team loses his rights. Not the case for Euro second rounders, who do not need to be stored on 15 man rosters. So you can let them grow -- they could get better, and become a trade chip or a player... or they just disappear.

In the current format it just makes more sense to draft a Euro instead of a college player. You try to bring a couple decent college players to fight for the last roster spots as undrafted free agents.

All this being said the stashed second round euro's are not taking jobs away from Americans or college players as they are not on the 15 man rosters anyway.

Do these euro players get paid to be on contact or does the money come only when they get over here and step on the court?

Do these euro players get paid to be on contact or does the money come only when they get over here and step on the court?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the nba team pays them, but it doesn't count against their cap.

They don't get paid by their NBA team until they come over and sign a contract.

1st round rookie scales are set in stone. 2nd rounders have a little more wiggle room, which is why you see more internationals taken in the 2nd, it's easier/cheaper when you factor in the buyout.

There's also a 3-year rule that can apply to internationals. If a draft pick doesn't sign a rookie deal with their NBA team within 3 years, they can completely skip over the rookie scale and sign any type of deal that they can negotiate.

Why should teams be forced to take a college player who might be a greater risk than the Euro? College players should have no more of an edge than the Euro?
Wonder if you'd have the same issue if you were an NBA owner or GM.

Why should teams be forced to take a college player who might be a greater risk than the Euro? College players should have no more of an edge than the Euro?
Wonder if you'd have the same issue if you were an NBA owner or GM.

Because Euro players have an unfair advantage when it comes to teams owning their rights. It means they have more of an opportunity to to prepare themselves to be professional basketball players. Maybe if the NBA had a true minor league system, it wouldn't be as much of an issue.